Home U.S. Coin Forum

Anyone know of a 1814 bust half with clear writing above the date?

superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Appears to be clashing from the reverse but very distinct writing. Not my coin but seen at my coin club meeting recently

Comments

• CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, clashing from the reverse. Fairly common.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics would help if you could get some... but die clashes are plentiful in that series so that would be my likely answer.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@superpsychmd said:
    Appears to be clashing from the reverse but very distinct writing. Not my coin but seen at my coin club meeting recently

It's clashing from the reverse. :smile:

I don't understand the question. Are you asking if this is a known variety? Or are you asking if it is something other than a clash?

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be an "A" for abolition.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It might be an "A" for abolition.

Or perhaps the entire word!!!

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love that 1814, Cat, must of gotten weak to let him get it back. Lol
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • superpsychmdsuperpsychmd Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭

Yes, it looked just like the o-103! Writing upside down above the date. Thanks to all for contributing!

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great responses! @Catbert

@superpsychmd The area under the Bust is a common clash pickup point for many early Capped Bust halves. the O-103 @Catbert shows is a great example, and the overlay is a good reminder of where the remnants of clashing's are seen when the dies were well aligned.

Clashes usually fade over time, so typically clear lettering would have been the first couple dozen strikes after the clash.

Here's an usual one. an 1813 O-101a where the clash is deep below the Bust at the rim, and shows part of STA from STATES on the Reverse clearly

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • lkeigwinlkeigwin Posts: 16,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

Not my overlay. Can't remember who to credit.

That’s mine. Here’s the reverse that accompanies it.
    Lance.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file