Home U.S. Coin Forum

Can anyone tell me this counterstamp silver eagle is genuine by western reserve numismatic club

It’s the first time I saw a coin counterstamped by WRNC but the mark is reversed, I mean usually from what I’ve seen all the 75th anniversary logo should be stamped at the back side of the coin, seems this rule also apply to any other coin at any other time that I can search for, but this one the 75th anniversary logo is stamped at the front of the coin, is this coin genuine? Because I’ve searched every possible way at internet, and I can not find one single coin which been marked like this one, even the image match the official website of PCGS but I’m still a little bit worried because I am going to make a deal with this seller, forgive my English I’m not a native speaker and thank you for anyone who may help me!

Comments

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

The PCGS cert verification page shows the coin in question and shows the counter-stamp as imaged above.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is interesting how that silver eagle gets an "UNC details" only grade while this counterstamped Peace dollar gets a regular grade.

peacockcoins

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

And apparently NGC will also provide a regular grade to the OP's silver eagle:

peacockcoins

• BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,369 ✭✭✭✭✭

Maybe because one is certified as an ASE and the other a variety of the ASE? As a regular ASE it's damaged...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • @TomB said:
    The PCGS cert verification page shows the coin in question and shows the counter-stamp as imaged above.

So no worries right? The seller selling this coin to me for 620$, is this a good deal?

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 8:32AM

Where to start...

The coin is certified by PCGS so authenticity shouldn't be a concern.

These counterstamps are not rare - there are several on ebay right now, ranging in price from $100 to over $1000.

Is this particular coin of interest to you because of the host coin? The orientation of the counterstamp?

Personally, as a collector of counterstamps I'd rather spend that kind of money on older major counterstamps than modern ones made as collectables. But that might not be your area of interest.

I'd say that $620 is a probably a good deal for the seller, but only you can decide if it's a good deal for you.

• gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very cool Eagle!
    @braddick the Eagle has a ms68 grade with C/M as unc details. Same as the Peace dollar counterstamp with the ms66 grade with c/m unc. details.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2024 2:44PM

So I'll ask again as this was posted in another thread, why is the label listing this as a "Medal" and not a $1 coin?
    Was it mis-labled or does PCGS list it as a medal due to the counter stamp?
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• JBKJBK Posts: 15,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:
    So I'll ask again as this was posted in another thread, why is the label listing this as a "Medal" and not a $1 coin?
    Was it mis-labled or does PCGS list it as a medal due to the counter stamp?
    Thanks
    Wayne

I am not sure there is total consistency but it might have something to do with the way it is submitted, or the way the reference guides list it.

I believe that some 19th century counterstamped coins are labeled as tokens.

The WR counterstamps apparently are viewed as medals.

• davewesendavewesen Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YoSweetness said:

@TomB said:

So no worries right? The seller selling this coin to me for 620$, is this a good deal?

If you have no idea, why are you paying almost $600 more than melt? How big is the market for thee and when you want to sell it, what will you get?

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

According to the booklet , written by Stephen Petty and Gino Sanfilippo
    The 1996 Silver Eagle was also very popular. Several different types of counter-stamp varieties were done. These included reverse and rotation stamps and several with two stamps to show both the obverse and reverse stamps on the same side.
    More than 12 were made.

This is the front page. If you do a search on this forum I think there are mintages also.
    If I feel stronger I will look it up toning or tomorrow.

As to the question if $600 is a “good price” this is up to you. Search auctions and such.
    The 75th anniversary is one of the smaller mintages. If I was offered this one I would be I much lower.
    And yes, it’s authenticated by PCGS.

• coinsarefuncoinsarefun Posts: 21,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is my 2006 ASE counterstruck with Western Reserve Numismatic Club 75th Anniversary.
    Haven’t had it slabbed yet. Notice the revise c/s

• ZoidMeisterZoidMeister Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

75th and 100th Anniversary counterstamped.

Z

Busy chasing Carr's . . . . . woof!

Successful BST transactions with: Bullsitter, Downtown1974, P0CKETCHANGE, Twobitcollector, AKbeez, DCW, Illini420, ProofCollection, DCarr, Cazkaboom, RichieURich, LukeMarshall, carew4me, BustDMs, coinsarefun, PreTurb, felinfoal, jwitten, GoldenEgg, pruebas, lazybones, COCollector, CuKevin, MWallace, USMC_6115, NamVet69, zippcity, . . . . who'd I forget?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file