Home U.S. Coin Forum

A nice EBay sale

Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

I had a four coin gold 1988 proof set missing the OGP as It didn't fit in the safety deposit and was lost over the great scale of time, and I put the 4 capsuled coins up on EBay.

An old Marine contacts me and asks me if I can make him a real bargain as he is on disability and he wants it to give his daughter something very special and her birth year was 1988. I checked him out and he was legit, so I sold it to him for $4400 free shipping. He sent it in for grading before shipping it to her in Japan.

All the coins were in their original plastic capsules, nothing else. They came back Ultra Cameo 70. Not bad, huh? Made me chuckle.

And he was a repeat customer, he bought a 1969-D no FG (FS-901) Lincoln red brown uncirculated in a 2x2 for $25 -- the year he graduated high school and went to Vietnam.

Comments

• maymay Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭✭✭

He deserves it. :)

Type collector, mainly into Seated. -formerly Ownerofawheatiehorde. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON, Gerard

• logger7logger7 Posts: 8,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's always good to have such positive experiences and interactions. Where else would you get that except by setting up at a show? And then you won't connect except with a small fraction of the online audience. Or as I used to do--ship to a wholesale buyer or auction and take less and wait a while for a check.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Way cool 😎

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice to hear, instead of regular complaints. Cool that all went well. Thank you Marine and all others that served.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Nice story.
    To kind of piggy-back on this feel-good story, I sold a 1970-D PCGS MS64 Kennedy in an older green holder on eBay for somewhere around $60.00 a few weeks ago.
    That buyer let me know last week he had sent it to NGC and it received an MS66 PL grade.
    At first I was a bit envious yet then realized good on him for having the fortitude to send it to NGC and take the risk.

I saw that coin posted on Instagram in the NGC holder. You have a good eye. This time the buyer got the upgrade; next time, if you have something where you feel good about the coin, then give it a second try.

• U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

As for the original post, that is a feel good story as well. It makes up for some of those eBayers that give you a bogus story just to chip down the price.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 979 ✭✭✭✭✭

Slade... tip of the cap brother!
    The compassion and empathy that can exist in this coun community is special.

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:
    Slade... tip of the cap brother!
    The compassion and empathy that can exist in this coin community is special.

Thanks. I sell some expensive stuff and that is usually just a good transaction. But part of selling on EBay is really low priced stuff too, which is more fun. One of my first sales was a lot of 10 f-VF Indians different but common dates. I invoiced the buyer and when he paid he wrote a note thanking me for the low price (like $10 no shipping) because he was 90 on a fixed income and had just started collecting. So I stuck another 10 or 12 nicer dates in there as a bonus. He wrote a small book for feedback and it was very satisfying. My Mom just turned 90 and I gave her a bag of no date Buffalos and G Indians to give to the kids at church, gotta get the next generation going! ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file