Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

May Acquisitions

Just got this dual signed in the mail yesterday.
Believe it or not this is the highest graded signed Maurice Richard card between 1951-1954 Parkhurst.

Comments

• Options
    azvikeazvike Posts: 360 ✭✭✭

Spectacular copy...as good an 8 as you will find...congrats!

• Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Work hard and you will succeed!!
  • Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 987 ✭✭✭✭✭

And it also has Ernie and Hank on there!

Great card.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

Great card.

And Elston too!

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 453 ✭✭✭✭

@BBBrkrr said:

Great card.

For some reason I always thought it was George Altman next to Aaron. Banks didn't make first all-star game and wore number 14 and stood 6'1''. Aaron was 6'. Altman was 6'4'' and wore number 21 but Clemente would have trumped him with seniority. The dude looks a little more than an inch taller than Aaron.

Awesome card!!

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 3:51PM

Is it Johnny Roseboro next to Hammerin Hank? The Green Monster is lurking in the background as well...

mint_only_pls
  • Options

@sayheywyo said:

@BBBrkrr said:

Great card.

For some reason I always thought it was George Altman next to Aaron. Banks didn't make first all-star game and wore number 14 and stood 6'1''. Aaron was 6'. Altman was 6'4'' and wore number 21 but Clemente would have trumped him with seniority. The dude looks a little more than an inch taller than Aaron.

Awesome card!!

I think you're right and I'm wrong. It would have been so much cooler with Ernie though...

• Options

@BaltimoreYankee said:
    One for the '67 Topps high number collection. I'm not looking for the whole series, just some of the key cards. I'm really starting to like the SGC holders for '67 Topps. The black really enhances them. This one can be difficult to get centered:

I'm really starting to like the SGC holders for '67 Topps. The black really enhances them.

I've always thought to be such a weird photo of TJ. He looks like he's wearing a cap about 5 sizes too small by the way it's sitting on his head.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 444 ✭✭✭

I never even noticed Aaron in the background on that card and I would have also assumed banks. Have to pull mine out and stare at it tonight.

• Options

That sounded weird. I meant get my copy of the managers dream card out of the case and look at it.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2024 5:01PM

Roseboro wore #8...and made the 1961 All-Star roster for the NL in the All-Star game at Fenway Park on 7/31/61 ending in the 1st tie in All-Star game history.

mint_only_pls
  • Options

Beautiful centering on the Tommy John.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a Cardinal over Mantle’s right shoulder. Looking at the roster I think it’s Bill White.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2024 6:08PM

Brad…

I thought it was Elston Howard…but the insignia on the cap does look like STL, not NY. Plus…it’s a lineup of NL All-Stars on the 3rd baseline. Good catch…

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@mintonlypls said:
    Brad…

I thought it was Elston Howard…but the insignia on the cap does look like STL, not NY. Plus…it’s a lineup of NL All-Stars on the 3rd baseline. Good catch…

Its looks like Elston. The hat logo looks more NY and the pinstripe uniform along with the black socks.

• Options

Nice GB 8 for sure!

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Very excited to add this to the collection - it is the complete set and envelope. Here’s a few highlights:

1955-57 Brooklyn Dodgers Picture Pack - World Series Edition

Hiya Tim

Great item! I think I have it but mine also has 1955 on it I believe.

As usual. Good stuff buddy.

Mike
  • Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PaulMaul said:
    I enjoyed the recent 4SC 1973 PSA 9 set break. I love sifting through a bunch of cards I need and going after the nicest few. Picked up this nice Rico and three others.

Great card! I’m setting up at a card show on the 11th and Rico is one of the signers there.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options

Nice GB 8 for sure!> @mintonlypls said:

I never thought I would own this card in a PSA-7, considering the current price in this grade. I saw this 1954 Hank Aaron RC on a recent REA and was struck by the bold color of the orange background, the bold, crisp image of Hammerin Hank as well as the straight side borders or lack of tilt/skewness of the side borders (a common problem with 1954 Topps). Using a 1/100 inch scale ruler, I measured 10 tick marks left and 8 tick marks right or 55/45 centering side-to-side. The top border on Topps 1954 cards is undefined to me with circles surrounding some team logos as in this case or a square surrounding the team logo for the Red Sox or somewhat of a semi-circle for the Cubs or nothing surrounding the team logo for the Giants. So in a case like this...I measure the one defined border (bottom border here) and determine the percentage of the total side border tick marks on a 1/100 inch scale ruler. I come up with 5 tick marks on the bottom border or 5/18 in relation to the total tick marks of the sides. Therefore...the bottom border measures 73/27, which is within the parameter for a PSA-7 (no worse than 70/30 to 75/25). Anyway...I love this card how it presents visually. Here is the card.

This so great. I’ve been circling this card for years. For me this is better than having a rookie Mantle. I want one of these so much.

This one is so beautiful. The colors are amazing and I love that more than any centering issue.

• Options

I was after the sgc 7.5 in that same auction but got wobbly after 22. I love the card you bought but it seemed a little weak. Not trying to offend. Just was my opinion. Trying to complete my 54 in PSA 8.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2024 7:01PM

@bgr said:
    I was after the sgc 7.5 in that same auction but got wobbly after 22. I love the card you bought but it seemed a little weak. Not trying to offend. Just was my opinion. Trying to complete my 54 in PSA 8.

I dropped out at $21k on the SGC-7.5 then focused my attention on the PSA-7… the SGC-7.5 would have broken up my collection too much to pay for it thru consignment. The SGC-7.5 clearly has better centering …but colors of the orange background and image do not pop as much as the PSA-7.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NGS428 said:
    Upgrade for my Griffey Basic set.

i was wondering who won this card card last week on ebay. i was tracking this one. great looking card! > @mintonlypls said:

I never thought I would own this card in a PSA-7, considering the current price in this grade. I saw this 1954 Hank Aaron RC on a recent REA and was struck by the bold color of the orange background, the bold, crisp image of Hammerin Hank as well as the straight side borders or lack of tilt/skewness of the side borders (a common problem with 1954 Topps). Using a 1/100 inch scale ruler, I measured 10 tick marks left and 8 tick marks right or 55/45 centering side-to-side. The top border on Topps 1954 cards is undefined to me with circles surrounding some team logos as in this case or a square surrounding the team logo for the Red Sox or somewhat of a semi-circle for the Cubs or nothing surrounding the team logo for the Giants. So in a case like this...I measure the one defined border (bottom border here) and determine the percentage of the total side border tick marks on a 1/100 inch scale ruler. I come up with 5 tick marks on the bottom border or 5/18 in relation to the total tick marks of the sides. Therefore...the bottom border measures 73/27, which is within the parameter for a PSA-7 (no worse than 70/30 to 75/25). Anyway...I love this card how it presents visually. Here is the card.

great card! really nice color on both sides

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@NGS428 said:
    Upgrade for my Griffey Basic set.

i was wondering who won this card card last week on ebay. i was tracking this one. great looking card!

>

Thanks Larry! There were an odd number of these for sale recently. 4, including this one to be exact, which is about 10% of the pop. Missed out on a couple of those I was going after, but snagged this one. I have the one I am replacing, the PSA 9 of this for sale now on eBay and myslabs if you are interested. Thanks!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

i got this one last week.

I have always like this one. I have it raw (no signature). Cool photo!

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 872 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    Couple of best offers accepted over the weekend. The 1996 Finest is pop 14 only one higher.

my favorite nineties refractor set. i have all but one of the silver refractors i need jeter.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful centering on the '66 - a tough feat on that card. Congrats!

• Options
    DBesse27DBesse27 Posts: 3,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Piggs said:
    Nice timing and a pretty nice Willie card delivered on his 93rd birthday. Happy birthday Mr. Mays!

The oldest living HOFer. Nice card.

Yaz Master Set
    #1 Gino Cappelletti master set
    #1 John Hannah master set

Also collecting Andre Tippett, Patriots Greats' RCs, Dwight Evans, 1964 Venezuelan Topps, 1974 Topps Red Sox

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stone193 said:

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Very excited to add this to the collection - it is the complete set and envelope. Here’s a few highlights:

1955-57 Brooklyn Dodgers Picture Pack - World Series Edition

Hiya Tim

Great item! I think I have it but mine also has 1955 on it I believe.

As usual. Good stuff buddy.

Mike,

Great to hear from you! I tend to use the ‘PSA Title’ for items; mainly and mostly people on these boards to utilize in case they want to send theirs in. I collect some strange items in addition to some of the more mainstream things so I don’t take for granted that people will always know what it is.

That said, board members here are pretty sharp and probably don’t need it.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest