Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do You Have a Two-Headed Coin?

OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looking through a roll of quarters tonight, I found a two-headed one! I've always heard of those magician coins but never had one, and never thought I'd stumble upon one. Looking closely, you can see the seam pretty easily. Does anyone have a two headed or two tailed coin??? Heads....I win. :)

Comments

• Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

Just make sure that you are getting to call the flip!

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

yes. a kennedy but the join might be something like epoxy. it apparently made it though a coin counter and into a shotgun roll

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 1904 and 1905 Lewis and Clark commemorative gold dollars are the only legitimate two headed US coins that I'm aware of. Are there any others?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,872 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found a two-tailed nickel in a roll of nickels once.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always liked this video https://youtu.be/kHMZByJl61c because he shows how to make the tools to make the double headed coin.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

@Fraz I should've known this would pop up!!

• Options

Wow @OAKSTAR You opened yours up!

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

I almost missed it and threw it back. Looking through a box of nickels a few years ago, I threw it into the dump pile and the sound caught my attention. I pulled it out and weight it. It's very light. I bounced it off the counter top and it popped open. I'm afraid to put it back together. I may not get it opened again.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    snizzlesnizzle Posts: 212 ✭✭✭✭

One of these looks like it was welded together
    Tom

• Options

Even Wheaties?!! I never knew there were so many. I've got to weigh my two headed quarter now, makes sense it's hollowed out...should be much lighter.

• Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 228 ✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Onastone said:

I almost missed it and threw it back. Looking through a box of nickels a few years ago, I threw it into the dump pile and the sound caught my attention. I pulled it out and weight it. It's very light. I bounced it off the counter top and it popped open. I'm afraid to put it back together. I may not get it opened again.

Magicians use a small device called a bang ring to separate them but you can also separate them by shaking them in the bottom of a glass!

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 825 ✭✭✭✭

My bank called me once and said a customer had a rare two-headed Roosevelt dime and wanted to get it appraised. When I met with the gentleman he informed me his brother had given it to him years ago, and that his brother had paid good money for the purchase. I had to sadly inform him that it was a magician’s coin, to his disbelief. Fortunately, I had my scale, laptop and portable stereo microscope to prove the coin wasn’t a rare error. He was in awe and couldn’t believe it. Sadly disappointed as well.

• Options

@Barberian said:

Oops, Steve beat me to it.

By just a few minutes!!!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Onastone said:

@Barberian said:

Oops, Steve beat me to it.

By just a few minutes!!!

As they say, "You snooze, you lose", lol

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,516 ✭✭✭✭✭

The proper term for coins having two heads side-by-side on the same side is "jugate busts".

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    The proper term for coins having two heads side-by-side on the same side is "jugate busts".

While that's true, virtually NO ONE knows what that means. However, they do understand a Two Headed coin (one way or the other, lol). ;)

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2024 6:14AM

Technically the term for two heads on the same side of a coin is "jugate." The term is used among political items collectors. If you find a 1920 jugate button that looks like this, it's worth $35,000 and up. And no it's not mine.

Yes, that is Franklin Roosevelt running for vice president with James Cox. That's the main reason why the button is so expensive, in addition to its rarity. Roosevelt is the only man who was the VP candidate on a losing ticket who was eventually elected president.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    retirednowretirednow Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭✭✭

@usmnterorrs said:
    Heads or tails, everyone’s a winner :)

Welcome to the forum, @usmnterorrs .

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:
    Do unto others what you expect to be done to you.

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the only known certified modern U.S. coin that is ‘two headed’. It was struck by two obverse dies!

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Finally got around to weighing my two headed quarter and compared it to 10 other quarters. 6 weighed .197 oz. 3 weighed in at .201 oz. 1 weighed .193 and the two headed one weighed .208 oz. So it was just a tad heavier.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file