Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What questions do you want me to ask a vintage coin board expert?

Comments

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2024 3:31PM

A question that has been haunting me for decades.

Why, oh WHY did Dansco with the Continental Line change the position of the 1909 VDB Cent slot and the 1909-1958 Cent slot?!

peacockcoins

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,900 ✭✭✭✭✭

What year was the peak in album sales?

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@davewesen said:
    What year was the peak in album sales?

Good question to ask. I'd guess 1963.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2024 5:29PM

What does he know about the original Beistle Unique Coin Albums, anything? I’m talking about these ones. They are still mysterious, the best info is in Lange’s book, but still lots of unknowns. Like, are these common or super rare?

Mr_Spud

• Options

And does he know the actual dates these logos were used for the Large Wayte Boards? Below was as far as I got finding when each was used, would love to know the rest of the dates

Mr_Spud

• Options
    jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

Found these 1st edition blue Whitman folders at a local coin show. After talking with David Lange before his passing, and confirming that the Walking Liberty folder that he possessed was the only one known, I also emailed him with pictures that I had found another. How rare are these first edition folders and are there any known population figures on them?

• Options

@tcollects said:
    have you ever showed your coin board collection to a real girl and if so what happened?

That’s funny 😆

I’m lucky my wife tolerates my obsession with Wayte Raymond Boards and albums. It helps that she collects dimes and proudly totes her Wayte Raymond Barber Dime album to any coin show she attends with me looking for upgrades 🌞

Mr_Spud

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,626 ✭✭✭✭✭

Notice how those early Whitman tri-fold albums have the mint marks arranged (P) - S - D (in the order that the respective Mints were established), while the later ones use (P) - D - S (alphabetical order for the ones that actually have mint marks)? This was because the Wayte Raymond "Standard Catalogue of United States Coins" used the chronological order for its mint marks, and in the early days of the Blue Book and the Red Book they used the same order and Raymond grumbled about copyright infringement, and so Whitman changed everything to the alphabetical system.

TD

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,830 ✭✭✭✭✭

Was there a small production of World Coin albums/folders/boards made for Export?

Serious question

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@CaptHenway said:
    Notice how those early Whitman tri-fold albums have the mint marks arranged (P) - S - D (in the order that the respective Mints were established), while the later ones use (P) - D - S (alphabetical order for the ones that actually have mint marks)? This was because the Wayte Raymond "Standard Catalogue of United States Coins" used the chronological order for its mint marks, and in the early days of the Blue Book and the Red Book they used the same order and Raymond grumbled about copyright infringement, and so Whitman changed everything to the alphabetical system.

TD

And did you notice that on the first edition Liberty Standing Quarter folder, the 1920 S was printed twice while not including the 1920D?

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jfriedm56 said:

@CaptHenway said:

TD

And did you notice that on the first edition Liberty Standing Quarter folder, the 1920 S was printed twice while not including the 1920D?

And there's a 40-D half.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2024 3:49PM

@Manifest_Destiny said:

@jfriedm56 said:

@CaptHenway said:

TD

And there's a 40-D half.

Looks like this folder was printed before the final mintage numbers were known and in anticipation that all 3 mints would produce coins, since no mintage figures yet appear under the dates. Thanks for pointing this out as I never noticed that before.

• Options

The very first pennyboard listed 1921-D cents.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    AlbumNerdAlbumNerd Posts: 146 ✭✭✭

Don and I had a great two hour interview yesterday. I was able to ask many member's questions.

I will let you all know when I upload the video to Youtube!

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:

TD

Allow me a follow-up question regarding this topic:

I noticed this the other day when I was looking at my Jefferson nickel collections.
    Why was it Meghrig within the same album switched and on the first two pages listed the nickels P S D and the following two pages they're listed P D S? This is the same album! Pages one and two are listed different than pages 3 and 4.

Page two:

Page three:

peacockcoins

• Options

Never noticed that.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think this transition confused the type setter.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file