Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The "1900" Lafayette Dollar seems an interesting coin

Being a military history buff, it's nice to see Lafayette's contributions recognized on this coin. The coin itself has an interesting history as well (credit: CoinFacts):

1. The only undated coin in US history
  2. All 50,000 coins were minted on the exact 100th anniversary of Washington's death (December 14, 1899)
  3. Apparently, US law prevented the coin from being pre-dated as 1900 so they added "Paris * 1900" as a quasi-date
  4. Paris hosted a World's Fair and Summer Olympics in 1900. This coin was issued as part of those festivities which is why they wanted 1900 on the coin even if it couldn't be the official mint date.
  5. The first commemorative dollar
  6. First "real" coin featuring a president (or any US citizen for that matter)
  7. First coin to have the same person on both sides
  8. 14,000 were melted down in 1945 because bureaucrat gonna bureaucrat

All that being said, the production of these coins had room for improvement. The design details and luster are sub-optimal. The coins were ejected into a hopper after striking like any normal coin. Supposedly, most were less than MS63 when they were distributed.

I recently acquired one and thought it might be cleaned at first but think it might be OK after reading about the luster and finish problems. Mine has a full but kind of soft cartwheel (at least when compared to a nice Morgan) on the reverse but only a very slight cartwheel on the obverse.

Mine also has an odd collection of swirls just under Lafayette's boot. It almost looks like someone doodled/scribbled on it. Of course, that is not what you want to see on your coin but I found several others with the same effect so fingers crossed mine is OK (I'll have it graded in the near future). Mine is not pictured below because my photography skills are lacking.

Most coins don't show the swirls. I assume/guess that's because of toning, wear and/or different varieties. Has anyone ever seen these swirls before and might know what caused them?

A nice, random 65+ for reference:

Example 1 of odd swirls under boot:

Example 2:

Example 3:

Example 4:

Comments

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lafayette landed in Georgetown SC on June 13, 1777 after two months at sea.

There is a historical marker near the bridge.

Alot of Revolutionary War activity in our neck of the woods.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool thread and write up!

• Options

@TomB said:
    The Lafayette is a great coin and the swirls are die polish.

Thanks, Tom.

I was hoping that was the case. Most of the die polish lines I had seen before were either perfectly straight or close to it. I've never seen any like these (but I'm not a long-time collector).

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

There is a straight die polish line below the base extending from the front hoof to the middle of the base. It can be seen on all three of the examples of the coins with the circular die polish, too.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

the swirling die polish is used to authenticate as all real ones have it

• Options

@davewesen said:

Per CoinFacts, 5 different reverse dies were used. That would be something if all 5 had these die polish swirls.

I'm pretty sure mine is the most common pairing, 1-B.

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Lafayette dollar is a cool, unusual coin. I'm curious, though, why would we regard it as "undated?" Doesn't it say 1900 right on it?

mirabela
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baylor8670 - Posts like your are proof that you can teach an old dog. I never knew any of that about the Lafayette Dollar. Thanks for posting!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2024 5:03PM

@Baylor8670 said:

@davewesen said:

Per CoinFacts, 5 different reverse dies were used. That would be something if all 5 had these die polish swirls.

I'm pretty sure mine is the most common pairing, 1-B.

Perhaps not all have swirling die polish, but I recall looking for and confirming the presence of die polish on seller's photos to ensure my raw Lafayette was genuine. I do that with all higher-grade raw purchases though. Mine is a 2C, the second most common DM.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@mirabela said:
    The Lafayette dollar is a cool, unusual coin. I'm curious, though, why would we regard it as "undated?" Doesn't it say 1900 right on it?

See points 2-4 above.

You're excused for the tl;dr. haha

• Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baylor8670 said:

@mirabela said:

See points 2-4 above.

You're excused for the tl;dr. haha

Right, and I see how that makes it something like spuriously dated ... but there's a date ...

But thanks in any case for the informative post.

mirabela
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Legend has it that when the doughboys landed in France in WWI they marched to Lafayette's tomb and exclaimed, "Lafayette, we are here!". We would not have won the Revolutionary War without France's and Lafayette's assistance. He and George Washington were like father and son.

• Options

@1946Hamm said:
    There are 5 known rev dies used. I do not have the last one but here are 4 of them. The die polish swirl lines is only one one of them.

Damn it, 1946Hamm. Now, you're making me want to go get one of each. haha

That's a very cool, old-school set of Lafayette types.

It does look like your 1-B has the swirls and the others do not. I guess it makes sense they would have had to polish the most heavily-used reverse die.

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭✭✭

Owned this one briefly this year. Now on the hunt for a higher graded example:

Tim

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Check my Circulated Lafayette grading set in my by line for you Lafayette Dollar lovers. 😍

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pocketpiececommems said:
    Check my Circulated Lafayette grading set in my by line for you Lafayette Dollar lovers. 😍

Very cool set! It’s interesting to see every circulated grade.
    One question: why the Alabama? Was it just a coin to get to 20 or is there some other meaning to it?

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 11:19AM

@pointfivezero said:
    Owned this one briefly this year. Now on the hunt for a higher graded example:

Tim

That's a nice looking example Tim.

Good luck on the hunt!

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was putting together a set of coins minted in 1900 (not to include all mint marks). I had them all and posted a picture of it. Then some irritating person chimed in that I was missing the Lafayette Dollar. I tried to ignore him but it kept bugging at me. The more I tried to ignore it the more it bugged me. In my mind there was now an empty hole in my 1900 coin collection so I broke down and got one in AU-58. Nice coin and did appreciate the story behind it.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options

@pmh1nic said:
    I was putting together a set of coins minted in 1900 (not to include all mint marks). I had them all and posted a picture of it. Then some irritating person chimed in that I was missing the Lafayette Dollar. I tried to ignore him but it kept bugging at me. The more I tried to ignore it the more it bugged me. In my mind there was now an empty hole in my 1900 coin collection so I broke down and got one in AU-58. Nice coin and did appreciate the story behind it.

You should have continued to ignore the troll. Your Lafayette was minted 12/14/1899.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2024 2:23PM

Here are some examples from my set of the varieties.

1A

1B

2C

3D (not mine, as mine has no trueview, another example)

4E

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Baylor8670 said:

@pmh1nic said:

You should have continued to ignore the troll. Your Lafayette was minted 12/14/1899.

Yea I know. But since it's stamped 1900 and has an interesting story I was compelled to add it...lol

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file