Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is there a challenging but affordable series?

Comments

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 12:03PM

Peace Dollars

One guy I know does these / slabbed PCGS - ones he can’t really afford in MS he gets in AU or other circ grades VG and up. Perhaps upgrade later. MS 70 is perfect so not to worry.

Coins & Currency
  • yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭✭✭

Full Step Jeff's

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• kruegerkrueger Posts: 855 ✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 2:09PM

About Ten years to complete a raw complete date/ mint marked set of all U.S. Philippine Coins.
    grades: a few VFs, mostly EF to AU. in Dansco pages unmarked.
    selected for nice eye appeal. no harshly cleaned or overly scratchy.
    doing this you learn a lot of what dates are scarce and what dates are tough in a nice looking coin.
    always upgrading. you never quit looking to better the set.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep said:
    US coin series: Peace dollars in MS

World coin series: French 20 franc roosters in MS

1907-1914 dates were heavily restruck for years.

• oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

It might be more productive to identify the series you like in the grade you like and then ask the forum how challenging it would be to complete according to your requirements. Otherwise the combinations are overwhelming.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 21, 2024 9:50PM
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

In 34+> @yspsales said:

Full Step Jeff's

A very tough series to collect considering the lack of resources and dealers specializing in Jefferson nickels. And finding unsearched original rolls and mint sets. And then one has to accept coins with inferior strikes to complete a set in a short period of time, 2 to 5 years maybe? Even I, after 34+ years, am still searching for a few dates with complete strikes. The 1960 Denver dates are virtually impossible to find with full steps, how does one's mind adjust to not actually being able to complete a set?

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WCC said:

1897-S quarter is one not on eBay now but it's on Collector's Corner as an MS-66 though it's above $5K.

It's significantly priced below price guide. How do you like the coin?

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Thanks to all that commented... so many great ideas. Still kicking it around in my head, but you truly came through with a wide variety of areas to pursue. I just want you all to know that I appreciate the thoughts.

Thanks x 1,000,000!

Let us know what you end up doing.

• NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:

@NeophyteNumismatist said:
    Great questions - "affordable" to me would be common dates at ~$500 and keys <$5K. I would like to keep the grades at least VF.

you could do a set of draped bust heraldic eagle dollars in VF for your definition of affordable

Usually, I see VF Bust Dollars in the $3K+ range. You are saying you see commons in the $500 range in VF?

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• WCCWCC Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@WCC said:

1897-S quarter is one not on eBay now but it's on Collector's Corner as an MS-66 though it's above $5K.

It's significantly priced below price guide. How do you like the coin?

I'm far from the best one to ask. I look at a wide variety of coins intermittently, but not my series. I just check to see what's out there, mostly as a comparison to the availability of my interests.

• anablepanablep Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny yes, the restrikes make finding a nice, high grade example easier while retaining the challenge of finding attractive examples of earlier, original strike dates from 1899 to 1906. It’s a fun series to collect with the added bonus of being gold.

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 754 ✭✭✭✭

If anything some series are better off not being completed as a set but a box of 20. Commemoratives of either era come to mind.

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    For me I had a blast building an AU/low MS set of $2 1/2 gold Indians. This was far more affordable in the past but still close to your range requirements. Only the 11-D is over $1k and when finished you will have a nice set of gold coins. Some might say that there is no challenge as it is a very common coin, even the 11-D. True, but finding really eye appealing not overly processed/dipped coins can be quite challenging.

Yes, assembling a set of overdipped bright coins is easy - finding lustrous coins with original mint bloom, not so much.

@Connecticoin said:

@coinbuf said:
    For me I had a blast building an AU/low MS set of $2 1/2 gold Indians. This was far more affordable in the past but still close to your range requirements. Only the 11-D is over $1k and when finished you will have a nice set of gold coins. Some might say that there is no challenge as it is a very common coin, even the 11-D. True, but finding really eye appealing not overly processed/dipped coins can be quite challenging.

Yes, assembling a set of overdipped bright coins is easy - finding lustrous coins with original mint bloom, not so much.

I didn't realize that gold coins would "tarnish." Can you tell us more about over dipped gold coins?

• ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DisneyFan said:

@Connecticoin said:

@coinbuf said:

I didn't realize that gold coins would "tarnish." Can you tell us more about over dipped gold coins?

Pre-1933 US gold is alloyed with 10% copper, so most original, unmolested mint state coins show some toning. If you look at a common date gold coin in Coinfacts (say a 1904 $20 Lib or 1924 Saint) and compare images of the MS 67 or 68 coins to those of the MS 61 or 62 coins you will see the difference.

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

@anablep said:
    @Manifest_Destiny yes, the restrikes make finding a nice, high grade example easier while retaining the challenge of finding attractive examples of earlier, original strike dates from 1899 to 1906. It’s a fun series to collect with the added bonus of being gold.

And, the Paris expo medal.

Franklin Halves.

Coins & Currency
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

Peace Dollars
    Franklins
    Short Set Walkers (1941-1947)

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Slade01Slade01 Posts: 294 ✭✭✭

@ambro51 said:
    Lincoln Cent “S” Mint coins in matching XF condition and matched color.

I love Lincolns, that is what I started with 60 years ago, building a full set other than the 55 DDO from looking through change.

I found it a nice set to put together the entire wheat collection, 58-D back to 33 in 66RD or better (except for the 55 DDO in 63BN) and the earlier P mint are mostly 65 red or really nice toned brown. The difficult D and S are all 63 or 64 toned brown. Three holdouts that remain below MS: 1922 no D AU50, 1917 DDO XF45, and 1936 DDO AU, those will be upgraded if/when I find them, but I've moved on for now.

I'm really busy with Roman for a deep pockets client. Wants high quality silver and gold 12 Caesars and the assassins of Julius in silver AU-MS plus a few other specific individuals. He's sending me 18 coins to look at and decide what to grade with NGC Ancient and I picked up 18 coins a couple days ago and have 4 or 5 this week still, all Heritage. I'm learning a lot of Roman history along the way.

@Connecticoin said:

@DisneyFan said:

@Connecticoin said:

@coinbuf said:

Pre-1933 US gold is alloyed with 10% copper, so most original, unmolested mint state coins show some toning. If you look at a common date gold coin in Coinfacts (say a 1904 $20 Lib or 1924 Saint) and compare images of the MS 67 or 68 coins to those of the MS 61 or 62 coins you will see the difference.

THANK YOU! If I am understanding correctly, a 90% yellow gold coin most likely has been dipped; whereas, a orange-like appearance is a sign of natural toning?

• BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭

Classic commems

• nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 9:56PM

There have been lots of great suggestions. Now I might think it could be narrowed down to whichever one you find most beautiful.
    For me, it’s Buffalo nickels and Walking Liberty half’s. I’ve done other series too, but it’s these that really ring my bell.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

You might consider leveraging your early copper knowledge to picking select Conder tokens where themes are options. Hard times tokens are cool too!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

sorry for the consecutive post, but I am scared to edit (things go "poof"). This is not my first Barber Half, just my first for this set.

Also, I like a lot of the suggestions coming from the forum. I will refer to this thread often when I am thinking of my next journey. However, these feel like they will keep me busy for a while. :D

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

I may have missed it but did anyone mention Flying Eagles? Happens to be my personal fave, but I’ll suggest to anybody starting this not to get into varieties. There’s many of those in 1857 alone. Plenty of room, though, for MS & PR. There’s surprisingly good finds in circulated grades for both. As FE’s are only a 3 year series, one can complete a set & not bust their budget. Plus, imo, it has one of the most beautiful designs in all of US coinage.

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 46,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    As FE’s are only a 3 year series, one can complete a set & not bust their budget.

It is actually a two year series---1857 and 1858. The 1856 is a pattern and the mint was actually still minting large cents in 1957. If you include the 1856 like some do, it will actually "bust your budget" as you put it.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• lunagatelylunagately Posts: 46 ✭✭✭

Irish Gunmoney. Cool history, 1689-1690 by month and year, not too expensive and a good hunt finding non-corroded specimens.

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

@rnkmyer1 said:
    As FE’s are only a 3 year series, one can complete a set & not bust their budget.

It is actually a two year series---1857 and 1858. The 1856 is a pattern and the mint was actually still minting large cents in 1957. If you include the 1856 like some do, it will actually "bust your budget" as you put it.

I do include 1856. I guess my budget is a bit bigger!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

So... less than $500 for common dates and $5k for key date coins... If it's a strict Date/Mint Mark set of Buffalo Nickels in AU... avoiding the double dates/over dates /3-leggers... just the 21S, 24S, 26S will be that pricey but still in budget. Finding an AU 13S Type2 for less than $500 could be a struggle... but its certainly less than $5k...

Are you doing all certified coins or is this a raw album?

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@lkenefic said:
    Are you doing all certified coins or is this a raw album?

I have decided that my collecting from here on out will be certified. Should something happen to me, I want my family to have the luxury of scanning the holder, looking at the Greysheet and retail and having an idea of what it's worth.

This is the very reason I stopped collecting CWTs. I really like them, but I have a hard time pricing them. If I have a hard time, it will be impossible for my wife and kids after I am gone.

Peace Dollars.

Coins & Currency
  • seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @NeophyteNumismatist. Congrats on making some choices to collect. I saw you had Seated Half Dollars in your options list. I am one of the people who suggested these as they are my favorite coin to collect.
    I would like to offer a few pointers if you don't mind. (I have collected Seated Halves for over 30 years and have learned a few things.)
    First. If you are like me and most other collectors, you will probably say you want to collect strictly original coins. You will find numerous attractive, straight graded coins. In 35 years I have seen exactly 2 coins I consider (possibly) strictly original and neither one is particularly attractive. the truth is 99.99% of Seated coins have probably been dipped at least once and in grades under AU no one can vouch for the strictly original tag unless they have been with that coin since it was struck.
    Second. Take full advantage of the Bugert books available on line at the Liberty Seated Collector Club site. They are under the online reference slot on the front page of the club site and you can down load them for free. At least for me, these books allow you to take your numismatic pursuit to the next level.
    Third. It is sad but true that i am not computer cognizant enough to post pictur4es but i hope you will share your finds. Good luck. James

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:

@david3142 said:

@braddick said:
    Problem free evenly matched set of VF/XF Liberty Nickels.

Why VF/XF? Given the price parameters you could do that set in MS63-65.

The 1885 is $1,200 in VF/XF and 8K in MS65.
    I think years from now an nicely matched set in VF/XF will be worth more proportionally than a GEM set of the same type.

The VF/XF set will always be more liquid than the MS set.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see you have chosen Barber half dollars in EF/AU as one of your goals. That is one heck of a tough set if you want original coins with meat and eye appeal. I've built this set previously, though not in quite as high a grade, and it took me a decade or more. Below please find a link to an article I wrote for the BCCS journal on collecting these pieces. Good luck!

http://www.tbnumismatics.com/circulated-barber-half-dollars-a-look-back-at-two-decades-of-specialization.html

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Problem free evenly matched set of VF/XF Liberty Nickels.

Depending on how much you want to spend, the MS64 set is easy except for about 4 or so coins…and with difficulty usually comes increased prices….but this is a great set to challenge yourself with…

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 7,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some great advice already shared. Regarding seated halves, I suggest that you narrow your target within the series as a start. Pick a date range and/or a mint or the varied types to begin your journey. If you're after the entire series, then taking it in chunks will provide some satisfactory accomplishment along the way.

Additionally, the prices have been rocketing upward in recent years. Unless you have a big budget, I'd suggest doing VF-XF as your target grade so that each piece isn't prohibitively expensive. You'll also need to be patient to find the right look because many seated halves have been cleaned. However, don't let that be an absolute. I own a couple of lightly cleaned pieces in my collection that I find to be wonderful despite not passing go at CAC.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Different strokes for different folks I guess.

• shishshish Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2024 2:00PM
  • oldabeintxoldabeintx Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gem or near-gem brown Lincolns. Challenging for sure as a matched set. “Affordable” depends of course, but no killers.

• BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭✭

I haven’t read comments but I’d suggest VF/EF Barber quarters and half’s as a tough but relatively affordable series. Also Philly Seated Quarters.

• Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 24, 2024 7:28PM

Barber Dimes in choice Xf with hints of luster. A matching set could take a good 5 years or more to finish, depending on how much time you dedicate to it.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file