Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If you had to buy one, which one XF 1922 no D, unfortunately from pictures only

While both are graded PCGS XF 40, the Heritage (TrueView) has a CAC green but aside from lighting differences, they seem pretty close. Which would you go after?

Comments

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

I’d go for the CAC coin hands down.

But maybe I’m just scarred. I’m on a streak of 3 biggish purchases (all non-CAC) that, once I had the coins in hand, made me wonder how they’d made it into straight graded slabs in the first place.

(1st one cleaned, 2nd one dipped to death, 3rd one covered in PVC).

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

The top one is the stronger coin but I do not like the oxidation on the surfaces. See inside the O of ONE.
    The bottom one has much better surfaces, but I do not like the scratch left of the C of CENT that crosses the wheat ear, and the two tics on the right rim.
    If this was for my hypothetical collection, I would say neither.

Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    Slade01Slade01 Posts: 84 ✭✭✭

@CaptHenway said:
    The top one is the stronger coin but I do not like the oxidation on the surfaces. See inside the O of ONE.
    The bottom one has much better surfaces, but I do not like the scratch left of the C of CENT that crosses the wheat ear, and the two tics on the right rim.
    If this was for my hypothetical collection, I would say neither.

Yes, my first concern was with the rim nicks and the scratch across the wheat ear on the second. Unfortunately, at this time my budget precludes a grade above XF, I took a run at an AU but it got out of my range too quickly. Alas, my desires exceed my means. ;)

Although I must say that either is a big improvement for the F15details ANACS graded cent that it will replace, found in searching pennies some 60 years ago. I've managed to upgrade all of my wheats to MS62 or better except for this and the 1917 DDO that is also an XF. I don't expect to get MS in either for now.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 2nd for color and color differentiation around the letters on the first would bother me. CAC is only pertinent to resale for me. I have never had a 22 no D, so it would go into the lincoln cent album.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of either coin. Fortunately, we don't have to buy one of these two coins...and you don't either.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your tital says If you HAD to buy one
    In that case I would take the CAC coin, as Jim said, if only for resale down the road

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

How are they priced?

Martin

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

GC coin for sure.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm not a fan of either, but if these were the last two on the planet to choose from, I would pick the second coin, it is just an overall more pleasing coin to look at to my eye.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,378 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd take the CAC coin.

GrandAm :)
  • Options

@Martin said:
    How are they priced?

Martin

Both auctions, top one at GC (obviously) and the second at Heritage in May.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Second coin.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I’d take the first one. It has fewer small nicks. CAC stickers only impress me if I am impressed with the coin.

This x 10. It's about the coin first.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

I never did well with orders and now I don't have to. :o
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 511 ✭✭✭✭✭

Had to buy? That would not seem likely.

• Options
    drwstr123drwstr123 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭✭✭

The second one. The date strike is more indicative of a plain than the first coin.

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2024 7:17PM

Looks like Abe got into a fight & got his right cheek slashed on the bottom one.

A Juice job?

• Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

I d say I prefer the top one

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Truview example

• Options
    mikee999mikee999 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭

What part of this gash can’t you see/ understand/comprehend?

What am I missing?

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could just be lighting... I like the color on the second coin, but the first one doesn't have as many nicks... especially on the reverse. That said, if I HAD to choose one, it would be the CAC'd top coin... FWIW... and not seeing the coin in hand...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options

@erscolo said:
    Had to buy? That would not seem likely.

Too dramatic? :lol:

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just going on the pictures. I’d got
    Top one. I don’t like the shine on the obverse of the bottom coin.

Either coin would upgrade mine

Martin

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

If I was looking, either coin would be acceptable to me (all nuances aside).

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file