Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Certifies Bonded Mated Pair Error Coin Struck on Feeder Finger and Coin Planchet!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2024 4:26PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Here's a PCGS certified entire feeder finger and coin planchet with coin strike from Malaysia!

What a cool find!

Any examples of US certified feeder fingers?

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,802 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    Here's a PCGS certified entire feeder finger and coin planchet with coin strike from Malaysia!

What a cool find!

Malaysia...I'm not so sure it was a "find" so much as a custom order. ;)

• Options

@JBK said:

@Zoins said:

What a cool find!

Malaysia...I'm not so sure it was a "find" so much as a custom order. ;)

Do you have to pay for face value and the value of the feeder finger? ;)

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 9:46AM

I like it, but it looks more common to me as there doesn't appear to be a coin planchet attached.

I think this one is rare because it contains a full feeder finger and a full coin planchet!

• Options
    ByersByers Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭✭✭

I discovered the original group of over 20 U.S. coins struck on feederfinger tips in 2000. Here are a few of them:

Since then, I know of 5 U.S. coins that were struck on the ENTIRE feeder finger.

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options
    edited April 14, 2024 10:26AM

@Byers said:
    I discovered the original group of over 20 U.S. coins struck on feederfinger tips in 2000. Here are a few of them:

Since then, I know of 5 U.S. coins that were struck on the ENTIRE feeder finger.

Very nice! It's great when new things are discovered and published!

Are any of the US coins a MATED PAIR struck on an ENTIRE feeder finger AND an ENTIRE coin planchet? :)

• Options

@goodmoney4badmoney said:
    This is the one finger I own. I’ve posted it here on the boards before a few times.

Wow! Amazing coin @goodmoney4badmoney!

It looks surprisingly similar to the 2007-D I ran across here!

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1084507/the-jokers-laughing-gas-strikes#latest

• Options
    goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks @Zoins. I am aware of that example, and the similarity! Although mine is undated I'm 99% sure it's 2007-D also.

• Options

The FIRST world coin struck on an entire feeder finger was my discovery in 2000 and was featured on the first cover of Mint Error News over 20 years ago!

To date, there are over 50 known world coins struck on full size feeder fingers. Most of these came from Chile and India.

https://minterrornews.com/issue1.pdf

mikebyers.com Dealer in Major Mint Errors, Die Trials & Patterns - Author of NLG Best World Coin Book World's Greatest Mint Errors - Publisher & Editor of minterrornews.com.
  • Options

Just last month an unused NGC holdered Sacagawea feeder finger with "2000" printed on it was sold by Heritage for $2500 or so.

• Options

I recall when that Mint Error News issue first came out, I had a chuckle at how HUGE that Chilean "finger" was and thought to myself "that's the whole feeder hand". I still think that today.

• Options

Just last month an unused NGC holdered Sacagawea feeder finger with "2000" printed on it was sold by Heritage for $2500 or so.

Correct.

There are over 20 of these out there.

I was offered a group of 7 and passed.

They are from the private contractor.

They were never inside the U.S. Mint.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 11:49AM

I recall when that Mint Error News issue first came out, I had a chuckle at how HUGE that Chilean "finger" was and thought to myself "that's the whole feeder hand". I still think that today.

You should see these in a press like @dcarr has! It's quite "a hand"!

• Options

@Byers said:

Correct.

Appreciate the info. I was surprised at the hammer price because my assumption was that more would likely be around.

• Options

@Byers said:

Correct.

Appreciate the info. I was surprised at the hammer price because my assumption was that more would likely be around.

You are welcome.

• Options
    edited April 17, 2024 2:43PM

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:

Are any of the US coins a MATED PAIR struck on an ENTIRE feeder finger AND an ENTIRE coin planchet? :)

The only known BONDED struck full feeder finger is on a World Coin:

• Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

That is super cool. Kind of looks like a cross section of a bell.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2024 3:49AM

@Byers said:

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:

Great example Mike!

Great to see another feeder finger and planchet mated pair!

Would you consider there to be at least TWO BONDED struck full feeder finger coins now? This India one and the one from Malaysia in the OP?

• Options

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:

@Zoins said:

@Byers said:

Great example Mike!

Great to see another feeder finger and planchet mated pair!

Would you consider there to be at least TWO BONDED struck full feeder finger coins now? This India one and the one from Malaysia in the OP?

You are correct! Now there are two.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mexico 5 Peso (1980-85)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file