Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps George Brett rack on REA. Guess the price.

2»

Comments

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GroceryRackPack said:

@countdouglas said:

hey countdoug...

That's Cool... :)

That sheet is probably my favorite item that I own. I'm a big fan of 75s, and being from Missouri, also a big Brett fan. I have a number of Brett collectibles, both mainstream and obscure. I have the means, and have had the opportunity, to purchase a pack with Brett Rookie showing on it on multiple occasions, and have passed every time. But when I had the opportunity to purchase that sheet, there was no way that I was letting it get away.

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

having robin yount rookie also on the same uncut sheet as brett is really great to look at. also a few hall of famers on the sheet also.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@GroceryRackPack said:

@countdouglas said:

hey countdoug...

That's Cool... :)

That sheet is probably my favorite item that I own. I'm a big fan of 75s, and being from Missouri, also a big Brett fan. I have a number of Brett collectibles, both mainstream and obscure. I have the means, and have had the opportunity, to purchase a pack with Brett Rookie showing on it on multiple occasions, and have passed every time. But when I had the opportunity to purchase that sheet, there was no way that I was letting it get away.

if by chance you happen to score an uncut sheet with that #15 dude...Please let me know... :)

• Options

15 Munson is on my sheet, too. 😉

• Options
    BBBrkrrBBBrkrr Posts: 992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lwehlers said:

@countdouglas said:

having robin yount rookie also on the same uncut sheet as brett is really great to look at. also a few hall of famers on the sheet also.

Plus, probably the most glorious Oscar Gamble card/hair style ever on there!

• Options

@lwehlers said:

@countdouglas said:

Yes, the Brett/Yount sheet is an iconic display piece, with a large percentage of the big cards from the 75 set. I also own the Ryan, Reggie, Rose sheet, which is pretty cool in its own right.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

15 Munson is on my sheet, too. 😉

I meant if you score an uncut sheet with #15 on that red team...🏈🏈🏈

• Options
    lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 874 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

@lwehlers said:

@countdouglas said:

Yes, the Brett/Yount sheet is an iconic display piece, with a large percentage of the big cards from the 75 set. I also own the Ryan, Reggie, Rose sheet, which is pretty cool in its own right.

both uncut sheets are really great collection items to have.

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 976 ✭✭✭✭

@coinspacks said:
    I guess $5k with the vigorish

I was close...$4920 hammer price.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@80sOPC said:
    2500 to 3500 over 6 years, net inflation, is close to zero growth. Factor in 10-20% to sell and you are underwater net inflation.

Fwiw, I don’t see cards as investments, pure hobby for me. So in that sense agree that 3500 is a nice gain from 2500 if we are buying this stuff for fun.

SP500 is +85% last 5 years and you can sell 100k of SPY for 9 buck's, for what thats worth.

This is my jam too.
    Plus the step up rule when your kids inherit the VOO.
    Yes I buy cards and enjoy them too, but 3 million for a 1979 opc hockey case gets $300,000 per year with the VOO. Don’t think the case does the same. Plus no fees when the kids get it.

I have started to trim down my overall collection since turning 50. While I look forward to passing down some of my collection I do not want to leave my kids an entire room full of cards. I hope to leave them 1/4 room full. :D

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@4Boston said:

@80sOPC said:
    2500 to 3500 over 6 years, net inflation, is close to zero growth. Factor in 10-20% to sell and you are underwater net inflation.

Fwiw, I don’t see cards as investments, pure hobby for me. So in that sense agree that 3500 is a nice gain from 2500 if we are buying this stuff for fun.

SP500 is +85% last 5 years and you can sell 100k of SPY for 9 buck's, for what thats worth.

This is my jam too.
    Plus the step up rule when your kids inherit the VOO.
    Yes I buy cards and enjoy them too, but 3 million for a 1979 opc hockey case gets $300,000 per year with the VOO. Don’t think the case does the same. Plus no fees when the kids get it.

I have started to trim down my overall collection since turning 50. While I look forward to passing down some of my collection I do not want to leave my kids an entire room full of cards. I hope to leave them 1/4 room full. :D

Good for you.

I'm in a similar boat. We don't have kids, I'm hitting my mid50s and my wife doesn't have a single, solitary clue about any of this (and she's a brilliant person). My window for enjoying my collection is probably getting more and more closed every day.

• Options
    sjjs28sjjs28 Posts: 446 ✭✭✭✭

Guess I'm one of the lucky ones. My son wants it all....
    Flatly told me not to sell anything - which I routinely ignore as I buy and sell to improve the collection.

Steve Saldutti
    sjjs28@comcast.net
    Collector of 1964 Topps Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game and 1969 Topps Decals
    Registered Sets: 1964 Stand Ups, 1965 Embossed, 1968 Topps Game, 1969 Topps Decals
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@80sOPC said:

It's all for fun imo. Investing is for stocks, bonds and other options not cardboard.

That said, if you can realize a 40% gain in the process over the past 6-7 years collecting what you enjoy, that's just a win-win imo.

I can also remember buying 1975 rack packs for $200 a decade ago. Even with some softening over the past 12-18 months, they are still in the 1K range, so the return is also dependent on your timeline and the year of issue.

One must figure in the income tax,grading fees,if applicable, auction fees on your sales to establish your net profit.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BLUEJAYWAY said:

@grote15 said:

@80sOPC said:

It's all for fun imo. Investing is for stocks, bonds and other options not cardboard.

That said, if you can realize a 40% gain in the process over the past 6-7 years collecting what you enjoy, that's just a win-win imo.

I can also remember buying 1975 rack packs for $200 a decade ago. Even with some softening over the past 12-18 months, they are still in the 1K range, so the return is also dependent on your timeline and the year of issue.

One must figure in the income tax,grading fees,if applicable, auction fees on your sales to establish your net profit.

Of course. My point was a general one~that the hobby, particularly with regard to vintage and vintage unopened, has done very well over the years in terms of value appreciation. That said, it should never be someone's sole or even primary mode of investment.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭✭✭

@sjjs28 said:
    Flatly told me not to sell anything - which I routinely ignore as I buy and sell to improve the collection.

My Son is 30 and collects a little but my collection in it's current state would be a huge knowledge transfer that I just don't want to do. If I could whittle it down it would save countless man hours. I have all of the sports cards, comic cards, etc. to include 100's of complete sets. I also have comics, collectible cars, knives, guns, coins, etc. on top of that I have paintings, posters, yes some black light >:) , figurines, carvings, etc. and 3/4 of it needs to be sold.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options

@Cakes said:

@sjjs28 said:

My Son is 30 and collects a little but my collection in it's current state would be a huge knowledge transfer that I just don't want to do. If I could whittle it down it would save countless man hours. I have all of the sports cards, comic cards, etc. to include 100's of complete sets. I also have comics, collectible cars, knives, guns, coins, etc. on top of that I have paintings, posters, yes some black light >:) , figurines, carvings, etc. and 3/4 of it needs to be sold.

Your collection sounds awesome and also a little bit intimidating. Just the thought of having to dive into that makes me have anxiety. It also sounds like I'd need a lifetime just to know it all.

I have a friend with a collection of non-sports artwork, etc... that's like that. And he just keeps adding...