Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1975 Topps George Brett rack on REA. Guess the price.

Whoever is selling this is doing someone else a favor. Rare Brett rookies are better then owning gold or Berkshire. Kids in their late 50’s will be opening up the wallets in 10+ years for this guy, if not already, but even more so then.

So what is this going to sell for ?

Comments

• Options
    coinspackscoinspacks Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭

I guess $5k with the vigorish

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

“Kids in their late 50’s” lol

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 291 ✭✭✭✭

This rack just sold last week...

• Options

Not Berkshire. Nuh-uh. :D

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not a bad price. I remember not too long ago these were almost twice that amount.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 281 ✭✭✭

@grote15 said:
    Not a bad price. I remember not too long ago these were almost twice that amount.

During Covid ?

• Options
    edited April 13, 2024 10:11AM

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

Yes, about 3 years ago when 1980 wax boxes were going for 10K also.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

Sold two of them a few years ago, and believe the ones pictured used to be in my collection. Sold this one for quite a bit more than the latest one, and per Grote’s note it was well north of $10k.

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

Sold two of them a few years ago, and believe the ones pictured used to be in my collection. Sold this one for quite a bit more than the latest one, and per Grote’s note it was well north of $10k.

That one looks familiar~I think that's actually my scan, too, LOL.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭✭

i dont follow the unopened market like you guys do, but i am surprised a Brett rack like that only sold for 5k. seems low to me. there cant be that many examples out there.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@KendallCat said:

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

So someone lost over 100% on quality unopened ?

• Options

@craig44 said:
    i dont follow the unopened market like you guys do, but i am surprised a Brett rack like that only sold for 5k. seems low to me. there cant be that many examples out there.

Good question.
    Apparently there’s probably at least 10 out there.
    What do the experts think ?

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

@KendallCat said:

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

Paid $10 got $5 that would be a 50% loss.

• Options
    edited April 14, 2024 4:41AM

@brad31 said:

@4Boston said:

@KendallCat said:

@4Boston said:

@grote15 said:

During Covid ?

Paid $10 got $5 that would be a 50% loss.

He said well north of 10k.
    Is well north of ten 10 ?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just a hunch because I don't closely follow the unopened pack market. But haven't unopened packs for the most part had a sharp rise in value over the last decade?

I think what may have happened on the "north of $10k" sale, is two whales bid it up to that price which inflated its actual market value. The one whale was satisfied with the buy, the other whale either bought another pack someplace else or lost interest in obtaining one. So what remains when a new pack is for sale, without the two whales in play, is a pack actually worth 5k.

Always be careful about using one auction price as being an indicator of real market value. When sometimes that's not the case.

• Options
    bgrbgr Posts: 276 ✭✭✭

How far north of $10,000 does it need to sell, for the next sale at $5,000 to realize a 100% loss? I’m questioning EVERYTHING now.

• Options

2500 to 3500 over 6 years, net inflation, is close to zero growth. Factor in 10-20% to sell and you are underwater net inflation.

Fwiw, I don’t see cards as investments, pure hobby for me. So in that sense agree that 3500 is a nice gain from 2500 if we are buying this stuff for fun.

SP500 is +85% last 5 years and you can sell 100k of SPY for 9 buck's, for what thats worth.

• Options

Yup, agree Tim, if your hobby can make you a few bucks nothing wrong with that.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    2500 to 3500 over 6 years, net inflation, is close to zero growth. Factor in 10-20% to sell and you are underwater net inflation.

Fwiw, I don’t see cards as investments, pure hobby for me. So in that sense agree that 3500 is a nice gain from 2500 if we are buying this stuff for fun.

SP500 is +85% last 5 years and you can sell 100k of SPY for 9 buck's, for what thats worth.

This is my jam too.
    Plus the step up rule when your kids inherit the VOO.
    Yes I buy cards and enjoy them too, but 3 million for a 1979 opc hockey case gets $300,000 per year with the VOO. Don’t think the case does the same. Plus no fees when the kids get it.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 14, 2024 10:27PM

This was a hobby for me pre-2016. I was buying football CASES for what a couple boxes of optic cost.

After the run up in value, this “hobby” of mine needs to be managed like an investment. I would be negligent to not manage it like a 401K. The value of my hobby would make a difference in retirement and I can’t think of many other hobbies that can do that.

Mike
  • Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems high at $5000, when Brett PSA 8's are only selling for $700.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    Seems high at $5000, when Brett PSA 8's are only selling for $700.

This is a misconception that many collectors not familiar with the unopened market have. The value of 5K+ is based primarily on finding an authentic 1975 rack in its original packaging with the Brett RC card on top. You can find a PSA 8 1975 Brett RC any day of the week. Finding an authentic unopened 1975 rack with Brett on top, on the other hand, is far tougher.

• Options

^^^^^^^ I have come to learn that the unopened hobby is not about what is inside the packs, it is about the scarcity of finding the packs authentic and unopened. Then when you find a pack with a star or HOF rookie on top, the level of scarcity is pretty extreme. you can find hundreds of 75 bretts on ebay at any given time. there are zero Brett on top 75 topps racks or cellos right now listed.

It took me a long time to get there, but I finally understand it and can appreciate it!

• Options

The question remains, do you prefer George Brett on top, or on the bottom?

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

$5000 rack pack for a $500 complete set. Seems fair to me lol.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options

@coolstanley said:
    $5000 rack pack for a $500 complete set. Seems fair to me lol.

What's weird is I see what you're saying and between those two choices id rather have the rack pack.

• Options

I would 100% rather have the rack. Just a few years ago my answer would have been different though

• Options

I dunno about all this. To me having an unopened pack would be like buying a box of chocolates and never eating it. 😉

But to each his own with his particular collection interests, and that's fine with me. The key is to collect, that's the main thing. One of my major collecting fun interests are inserts from the 1960's & 70's. As high a grade as I can afford. I think some collectors avoid inserts like the plague, whereby I love 'em. 😎

• Options

@stevek said:
    I dunno about all this. To me having an unopened pack would be like buying a box of chocolates and never eating it. 😉

But to each his own with his particular collection interests, and that's fine with me. The key is to collect, that's the main thing. One of my major collecting fun interests are inserts from the 1960's & 70's. As high a grade as I can afford. I think some collectors avoid inserts like the plague, whereby I love 'em. 😎

Best analogy ever. After 50 years... both are full of potential, intrigue, and even calamity.

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

An uncut sheet with Brett's Rookie on it is much, much tougher to locate than an unopened pack with him showing, and a million times cooler to look at.

• Options

@stevek said:

I keep the chocolate sealed too.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    An uncut sheet with Brett's Rookie on it is much, much tougher to locate than an unopened pack with him showing, and a million times cooler to look at.

That is a valid point but unopened product is far more popular among collectors than uncut sheets.

• Options

@coinspacks said:

@stevek said:

Pete certainly doesn't need any of these. I saw a recent interview with him on YouTube, and he was approaching Jabba the Hutt for body shape.

• Options

@countdouglas said:

Now that one, definitely leave as is! 😊

• Options
    RonSportscardsRonSportscards Posts: 812 ✭✭✭✭

@4Boston said:

• Options

@RonSportscards said:

@4Boston said:

He hated the Yankees!

I prefer my Brett inscribed.

Pine Tar HR! 7-24-83

• Options

@grote15 said:

@countdouglas said:

That is a valid point but unopened product is far more popular among collectors than uncut sheets.

I think the popularity of unopened product hits on 2 important keys: 1. the nostalgia. we all remember walking into 5 and dimes and department stores etc and seeing all the wax, cellos and racks displayed and drooling over them as kids. 2. it is infinitely easier to both store and display wax/cello/racks than uncut sheets.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@grote15 said:

@countdouglas said:

I think the popularity of unopened product hits on 2 important keys: 1. the nostalgia. we all remember walking into 5 and dimes and department stores etc and seeing all the wax, cellos and racks displayed and drooling over them as kids. 2. it is infinitely easier to both store and display wax/cello/racks than uncut sheets.

Agree completely.

Nostalgia is a huge part of it.

I love sheets also, and have a bunch of them and they do look very cool if you can them mounted and framed but it's a completely different appeal for me.

• Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

@grote15 said:

@4Boston said:

@craig44 said:

Good question.
    Apparently there’s probably at least 10 out there.
    What do the experts think ?

The REA sale was a good price for the buyer. By well north, KC meant about $11,500, but don't forget, Covid created a huge bubble for a lot of product and prices right now are still way higher than they were 5-6 years ago for many of these items.

Tim is correct on the sale and it was a little north of that figure. Sale was not through an AH and was a private sale, and the other Brett rack I sold was a good price but not as good as this one 😉

• Options

Is it better to have a Brett on top where you can see the centering, or on the bottom where the centering is a mystery.

• Options

@stevek said:

@coinspacks said:

@stevek said:

Pete certainly doesn't need any of these. I saw a recent interview with him on YouTube, and he was approaching Jabba the Hutt for body shape.

His girlfriend likes chocolate too.

• Options

@4Boston said:

@stevek said:

@coinspacks said:

@stevek said:

At least she isn’t a minor this time. The real reason Pete doesn’t belong on the Hall.

• Options

@brad31 said:

@4Boston said:

@stevek said:

@coinspacks said:

@stevek said:

At least she isn’t a minor this time. The real reason Pete doesn’t belong on the Hall.

That suit was dismissed in court.
    Both sides, Rose and the girl, came to an agreement.
    Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

• Options

That suit was dismissed in court.
    Both sides, Rose and the girl, came to an agreement.
    Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

There were others if you believe Fay Vincent.

• Options

@4Boston said:
    Is it better to have a Brett on top where you can see the centering, or on the bottom where the centering is a mystery.

definitely on top where you can see the card. they sell for more and display so much better.

• Options

@4Boston said:

That depends. On top carries a much higher premium but on back the mystery of on back is cool, too, at the right price.

• Options
    GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭

@countdouglas said:

hey countdoug...

That's Cool... :)