Home Q & A Forum

Cleaned?

I’m new to the coin game and have been told this coin is cleaned and also purchased it from a reputable source that I have seen many other coins labeled as cleaned, yet this one wasn’t.

Hoping all you that are more expert than I can help me out.

Comments

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t look cleaned to me.
    There may be just a bit of toning starting around the edge of the rim.

• Thanks for your thoughts. It didn’t look any different than the other one I have, except for the little bit of toning on the edge that you mentioned. I got it along with a bronzed toned one. So was listing this one and the comments said they thought it was cleaned. I took the listing down and will take it to a shop for an in person consult. I don’t want to be selling it as something it isn’t. But like I mentioned the auction site typically says a coin is cleaned, even if the holder doesn’t. I’d like to trust the auction house over the internet, but I’m a novice at best to know the difference.

• RSBRSB Posts: 19

If it is graded as MS62 "Good to Go", and not marked as clean then to hell with the "opinions" of others. After all, it's a PCGS holder, are they not the most trusted name in grading? So then why question it? If your goal is to sell it, then list it and let it go as is marked. Those folks are probably just priming you so they can offer you a low ball price. Todays PSGS value on that coin is $850 and if you average the 5 they have listed with selling price, the average is $623, but that is spread out over time and different venues. Don't let non graders grade your coin, especially from pictures. They can't possibly tell whether that coin has been cleaned from your photo's. Like I said, they just want to low ball you on a very rare, nice and collectable coin. Considering what that coin is I would not hesitate to send it to CAC to see if it gets a green bean. If it does get a coveted green CAC sticker it will really kick up the value. I'm a Newby like you, but one thing I have learned is don't get in a hurry, and there are people who very unscrupulous things when it involves coins, currency, silver and gold.
    All the above is just my humble opinion, but you being new as am I, I don't want to see you get ripped off for trusting people who owe you nothing, or have no vested interest in your coin other than buying it for a little as possibly.

Good luck and don't over think it.

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Please post a picture of the reverse side.
    Thanks
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to tell from the photo but there is no obvious signs of cleaning and if PCGS has straight graded it, as they have, it's "market acceptable" and probably not cleaned, or at least not to it's detriment. It's a decent strike for a weakly struck issue but the photo isn't showing much luster. It should be worth around $500-$600.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.