Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Fair or not?🤔 WOW! Out of the Blue, Great News...

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

If joeycoins finds a cent in the change bucket (i.e., a valuable 1969S or 1972 doubled die; or a VF 1914D cent) that is worth three times or more than his purchase price one or more forumites inevitably will, via a posted reply:

1. opine that he still overpaid; or

2. opine that he must go back to the seller and pay the seller more money to make the deal "fair and equitable".

:)B)

joeycoins' thread title is Fair or Not.

I think that his deal is more than Fair to the seller (150% of face value paid to the seller, giving the seller a profit of 50% and relieving the seller of the burden/expense of disposing of the change bucket at the bank or at a coinstar machine.

I think that his deal is also fair to joeycoins as it provides him with a change bucket of unsearched cents that he will enjoy searching through; and it provides him with a chance at finding one or more coins with a value greater than face value or (if copper) melt value.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

IF is an anomaly that doesn't belong in
    our hobby. In Vegas, maybe. I would only consider one thing in your deal. Is the friend 70 yrs old or older. If yes, no problem go for it. If not, back away.
    I think I know the answer.
    BTW, look at the color of the 1st batch of coins. Realizing it to be the top 3rd of the bucket may be a relief.
    Hopefully, you may find a 1992 close am coin or other even slightly valuable
    attribution.
    Best of luck, Joey.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 9:43AM

Its just that I don't think that bucket is really any more unsearched than rolls from the bank. As a matter of fact, you could argue that the bucket is more searched than bank rolls.

Shotgun (machine-wrapped rolls) come from huge quantities of coins from coin counting machines where some heirs might have dumped inherited collections or hoards.

The bucket contains coins that were handed individually to the owner by a cashier who may or may not have given the change drawer a quick once over while dumping rolls into the cash register.

And, as mentioned, much of this bucket was filled during the days of copper hoarding, so pre-zinc coins might be scarcer in this group.

In any case, this will give Joey some fun in his spare time in between Starbucks runs and bank runs. ;)

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 9:52AM

@jmlanzaf said:

It's that he paid a premium for rolls he could get at face value at the bank. This is not a 50 year old estate hoard. It's a post-2000 change bucket.

It has better coins than modern rolls. He’ll get more entertainment from the hoard. I understand it from a business view, but I am not a businessman. I would ask free delivery, though.

• Options
    david3142david3142 Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭✭✭

One could ask two questions here:
    1) what is the expected value of this bucket of cents?
    2) what should one pay for it?

I think everyone is in agreement that the answer to 2 is face value (or maybe even less for the service of converting them into useful cash).
    As for 1, I would also guess something very close to face value because even if you find a few dozen wheat cents or a modest error you’ll spend more than that trying to realize the extra value. It sounds like Joey’s expectations are significantly higher than most regarding the likelihood of any truly valuable finds and thus his concept of “fair value” is probably inflated.

I realize that Joey also derives pleasure just from the hunt and would perhaps pay for that privilege but that seems outside of the main questions above.

• Options
    Dug13Dug13 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

In the past, I have bought penny accumulations. I always weight them and pay by the pound.
    I usually come out slightly ahead due to finding a few clad dimes in the mix.

Wall of HONOR transaction list:WonderCoin, CoinFlip, Masscrew, Travintiques, lordmarcovan, Jinx86, Gerard, ElKevvo

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,396 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well let the search begin.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,801 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone want to guess the date and time that joeycoins posts a reply in this thread telling us that he has gone through every cent in the change bucket?

I guess he will post that reply on April 18, 2024 at 4:24 p.m. EDT.

I also guess that he will have found 13 wheat cents dating in the 1940's and 1950's.

• Options

Of the 13 wheat cents, 4 will be 1920, 5 will be 1936, and 4 will be 1944. WAG
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm going to head to the bank today and order $1000 worth of 1c pieces(pennies).
    Anyone interested at $1500?
    Sorry I couldn't resist its just a joke.
    In all seriousness I hope you find something cool.
    I suggest wearing gloves when searching through them. Copper gets pretty nasty after a while.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know. A dealer once told me if I wanted to make a million dollars in the coin business, I had to start with two million dollars. Looks like he was right . Not fair.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 1:28PM

I think he should take your offer and run.

Who do you plan to retail them to?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very few (or none) of us would have made that offer, but few of us like to search like Joey. I hope he gets $100 worth of pleasure from the hunt.

Vplite99
  • Options
    edited April 10, 2024 2:05PM

Now that's a friend. :)

The thing to focus on might be the wide/narrow AMs and other varieties from that era. Those might well have gone from new roll to cash register to his pocket. Maybe they would still be high grade in his coin bucket.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am glad Joey is not of the type to "seed" the bucket with a 72/72 just to spite those naysayers.

peacockcoins

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 2:23PM

Jerry,
    My new All-Time buddy.
    Has just turned up the volume to High Frequency of a
    "FUN SEARCH!"

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@Morgan13 said:
    I'm going to head to the bank today and order $1000 worth of 1c pieces(pennies).
    Anyone interested at $1500?
    Sorry I couldn't resist its just a joke.
    In all seriousness I hope you find something cool.
    I suggest wearing gloves when searching through them. Copper gets pretty nasty after a while.

😆
    I'm like Robert Duval,
    " I love the smell of Copper/Silver (napon) in the Morning!"
    :D

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options

@JBK said:
    Now that's a friend. :)

The thing to focus on might be the wide/narrow AMs and other varieties from that era. Those might well have gone from new roll to cash register to his pocket. Maybe they would still be high grade in his coin bucket.

YES! Now, someone is thinking like me!
    Thanks

• Options
    johnny010johnny010 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 3:14PM

Seems fair to me. For a very small amount of money it shows appreciation for what your friend put value on for 20 years. Can’t beat that.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 10, 2024 3:17PM

would you be interested in a Ryedale Machine? :D

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options

@david3142 said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

That’s awfully specific. Are you the friend who sold him the bucket? 😂

Shhhhhh!

• Options

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

It's funny you would say this. Last night, when I got home. I did start searching. Only about 200 coins. Already found 4 wheaties. Although, none of any significance.
    ty

• Options

Jerry, told me. That the ones he threw in there, 30 yrs. ago he said now, not 20, are on the bottom of the bucket. In which, would make sense. Pun intended! 😆
    I asked if he would dig in the bucket and bring another bag of the older ones? He said, sure!

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,399 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    I am glad Joey is not of the type to "seed" the bucket with a 72/72 just to spite those naysayers.

He could find three 72/72 and it still wasn't a good price at 1.5x face for a change jar where the underbidder is at 90% of face value.

• Options

But finding a 72 DDO carries with it some real excitement to a roll/bucket searcher.

I found one of the minor ones back in the day and I remember that feeling very well.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm glad he decided to let you have them at face. Enjoy the hunt, and please share any cool finds with us.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Joey,did you show your friend this thread before he lowered the price?

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@braddick said:

I was thinking about this as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    johnnybjohnnyb Posts: 35 ✭✭✭

I want to know what you find! I mean we’ve all spent more than $50 on a bad dinner -at least once in our life - bad food and bad company - but seems like you can’t go wrong with this and good luck with the search! Would be fun to find a few cool varieties / errors.

• Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Joey,did you show your friend this thread before he lowered the price?

No, not at all.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's your time and money. Enjoy! ...and let us know if you find anything.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

So far, after approx. 500.
    Just a few more wheats of insignificance.
    Thanks

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

You'd likely have 0 wheaties after combing through $5 worth of rolls from the bank. Good luck with the rest!

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 8:54AM

I was in line behind an older guy at the bank looking to deposit $45 in assorted rolls.
    It was early in the month and I thought maybe he wanted to buy something and needed to add his hoard of change to the mix.
    I asked the teller if she wanted to get rid of the rolls and she gladly did.
    After the search...
    Nothing but 2 Canadian cents and more change that I add to my jar.
    Swing and a miss

• Options

@jeffas1974 said:
    You'd likely have 0 wheaties after combing through $5 worth of rolls from the bank. Good luck with the rest!

This is not generally true unless it happens to be a new box from the Mint. The YN club routinely went through boxes of cents as an activity at our monthly meeting. We usually get about 25 wheats per $50 box. I was initially surprised that they are still floating around.

• Options
    jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 330 ✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@jeffas1974 said:

This is not generally true unless it happens to be a new box from the Mint. The YN club routinely went through boxes of cents as an activity at our monthly meeting. We usually get about 25 wheats per $50 box. I was initially surprised that they are still floating around.

Wow that’s surprising. I wonder how much of a difference there is regionally?

• Options

@joeykoins said:
    So far, after approx. 500.
    Just a few more wheats of insignificance.
    Thanks

Are you saving pre 1982 cents as well?

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Am I the only one who finds the irony in people who have previously been calling things like Vault Boxes a fun gamble and were decrying others for telling people they're "not having fun the right way", are now telling Joey that buying cents at double face is a ripoff?
    Edit to add: Joey I think you're being very fair and hope you have fun.

False analogy. The correct analogy is comparing buying a Vault Box at 1.5x the MSRP of a Vault Box. Or paying $1.50 for a $1 scratch off.

It's not that he's gambling in finding something. It's that he paid a premium for rolls he could get at face value at the bank. This is not a 50 year old estate hoard. It's a post-2000 change bucket.

So you don't like the VB analogy...but he's still not having fun the right way. Got it. B)

Again, not what anyone said. I know you want to make this about VB but no one cares that he's gambling on finding something.
    The issue was not his having fun by CRH. It was bidding against himself that was the issue. There is no place on the planet that his friend could get more than face value. So why bid against no one to get to 1.5 cents?

And no one cares that he bought them at that price. He asked if the price was fair and we pointed out that he paid more than he needed to which was the question asked.

I'd say nice try but you haven't even gotten to the ballpark yet.

I'm not "making it about VB"... just pointing out some inconsistency. The question asked was if the price was fair or not. The answer to that is yes. He's being more than fair offering a half cent premium to be able to search the lot in lieu of it going directly to the bank. Is the stuff all just worth face? The answer to that is "probably", but NOT "definitely", and apparently for Joey it's worth a half cent to him to have fun going through it. Neither you nor I nor anyone else here knows for certain that "there is no place on the planet that his friend could get more than face value"; frankly I'd bet that there are other coin hunters out there who'd risk a half cent per coin to go through a coin lot like that. That said, I wouldn't do it personally because, for me at least, the potential reward isn't there to warrant the time spent on it... but it isn't for me to tell someone else not to do it, nor how much to pay for it. Also, no one here knows that just because the seller presumably started accumulating cents 20 years ago that none of them are older than 2004... so I am not sure why that assumption is being made. Bottom line...he knows the downside and is OK with it so let's stop pooping in his pool.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@telephoto1 said:
    Am I the only one who finds the irony in people who have previously been calling things like Vault Boxes a fun gamble and were decrying others for telling people they're "not having fun the right way", are now telling Joey that buying cents at double face is a ripoff?
    Edit to add: Joey I think you're being very fair and hope you have fun.

False analogy. The correct analogy is comparing buying a Vault Box at 1.5x the MSRP of a Vault Box. Or paying $1.50 for a $1 scratch off.

It's not that he's gambling in finding something. It's that he paid a premium for rolls he could get at face value at the bank. This is not a 50 year old estate hoard. It's a post-2000 change bucket.

So you don't like the VB analogy...but he's still not having fun the right way. Got it. B)

Again, not what anyone said. I know you want to make this about VB but no one cares that he's gambling on finding something.
    The issue was not his having fun by CRH. It was bidding against himself that was the issue. There is no place on the planet that his friend could get more than face value. So why bid against no one to get to 1.5 cents?

And no one cares that he bought them at that price. He asked if the price was fair and we pointed out that he paid more than he needed to which was the question asked.

I'd say nice try but you haven't even gotten to the ballpark yet.

I'm not "making it about VB"... just pointing out some inconsistency. The question asked was if the price was fair or not. The answer to that is yes. He's being more than fair offering a half cent premium to be able to search the lot in lieu of it going directly to the bank. Is the stuff all just worth face? The answer to that is "probably", but NOT "definitely", and apparently for Joey it's worth a half cent to him to have fun going through it. Neither you nor I nor anyone else here knows for certain that "there is no place on the planet that his friend could get more than face value"; frankly I'd bet that there are other coin hunters out there who'd risk a half cent per coin to go through a coin lot like that. That said, I wouldn't do it personally because, for me at least, the potential reward isn't there to warrant the time spent on it... but it isn't for me to tell someone else not to do it, nor how much to pay for it. Also, no one here knows that just because the seller presumably started accumulating cents 20 years ago that none of them are older than 2004... so I am not sure why that assumption is being made. Bottom line...he knows the downside and is OK with it so let's stop pooping in his pool.

I'm not assuming there's nothing pre-2004. But I know what was circulating in 2004 and it wasn't Indian cents and Flying eagles.

There's no inconsistency. I would also advise VB enthusiasts to not pay 1.5x asking price.

And I'm sticking to NOBODY would pay more than 1 cent for a modern change jar. Some people will pay more for an estate collection but this isn't one.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:
    OK!
    Two things!
    First, we decided on 1 1/2 instead of 2. Or double.
    Second, here's the first third!

The good news is that if one of those is an Indian cent, it's bright red and will command a huge premium over what you normally (albeit never) find in circulation after 120 years.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@TomB said:
    Two-cents each for coins randomly taken from change in the last 20-years? I'd sell you everything I could get my hands on.

This is what Priority Mail Flat Rate boxes were made for

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options

@airplanenut said:

@TomB said:
    Two-cents each for coins randomly taken from change in the last 20-years? I'd sell you everything I could get my hands on.

70 pound maximum.

What's the shipping price on a ballistic bag?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@airplanenut said:

@TomB said:

70 pound maximum.

That's still 12,700 cents and a good arm workout.

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 11, 2024 12:29PM

Do us a big favor and keep track of the hours you spend looking at all the coins.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Early in the thread I would have said to make sure he doesn't follow you to the bank, get the ones you turn in, and sell them to you again at a 50% markup.

Now that you're just paying face, as long as it keeps you off the streets, I guess it's fine. Not how I'd spend my time, but you're not me.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file