Home U.S. Coin Forum

A Capped Bust Half Dime set milestone

BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wanted to share a milestone with the community. As of 4/2, when PCGS finally released my grade on the 1829 LM-6.1 half dime pictured below, I have all of the original 123 capped bust half dimes by Logan-McCloskey marriage/remarriage. At VF25 and with a healthy exhibition of her time in circulation, she's not a stunner all by herself. But she's an R7 remarriage - rarity 7 means that there are only 4 to 12 estimated extant in the world - and there were only 4 of them reported in the March 2023 John Reich Collectors Society census. That count of 4 means this remarriage is tied for scarcity (at least among JRCS census respondents) with only two other R7 remarriages, the 1832 LM-9.2 and the 1833 LM-3.5. I just happen to have acquired those two before this one, so this was my personal "holy grail."

My set, sadly, remains at 99.19% complete - and I think that's where it'll stay on the PCGS registry. I have the 123rd coin, a condition census 1830 LM-1.1 in a CAC-approved NGC MS65 PL, but PCGS declined (twice) to cross it at a level I deem acceptable. (They won't tell me what grade they think it is - you have to play the game of sending it in with your min grade specified and getting a Roman thumbs-up or thumbs-down.) Even after I spent 20 minutes on the phone in September 2023 with a PCGS Customer Service agent who, after hearing my concerns and intentions, advised me that "if you send it in again, I'm pretty sure that it will cross," it didn't, and I ain't gonna go a third round.

But hey, I'm a happy guy today. And even if my last coin crossed in, it won't be long before the PCGS registry recognizes the existence of an R8 (in fact, currently unique) remarriage in the 1830 LM-9.3. So Id'a been bumped back to the 90s again anyway... at least until fortune smiled upon me with an instance of that unicorn coin.

So, I feel kinda like the car-chasing dog who finally caught the car, and doesn't know what to do with it! But when a couple of my buds asked me what's next, my answer was, "keep upgrading." And we all know, that can be a life's work!

I want to say THANK YOU to the people who have helped me along the way. Too many to name here without leaving some deserving soul off the list. And to say BIG RESPECT for folks like @Barndog (who retired his set since I started mine), and especially a nod to my friend Albert, whose "Paleofiles" set was almost done when he tragically passed away last month.

What's next....

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

Comments

• CopperindianCopperindian Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bikergeek: congrats on a great achievement!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

• spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 7:38PM

CACG registry will accept NGC coins (and PCGS) when it launches soon, just sayin'.....................

And also - Dude! Congrats! and I like the VF R7.

My online coin store - https://www.desertmoonnm.com/
  • winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on a truly super achievement! I envy your patience and diligence!

I own only one Capped Bust Half Dime (for my Dansco 7070 Registry Set), 1832, LM-5. Since I only need one, I was able to afford this in MS-66 (PCGS Pop 1, none finer, for LM-5). My accomplishment was easy. The opposite effort of yours. Kudos to you!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not become aware of any comparable completed goal in the hobby. Congratulations on a fantastic journey. Would be interested in reading a short bio on the trip. From when and why you chose such a overwhelming goal, the trials and trouble you overcome in the search(suchas the 1839 LM-1.1 struggle) ending with the goal completed in it's majority, notwithstanding the 1830. Wow! Is the largest word I can express.
    I do not intend on diminishing anyone else's similar journey, but as saying, this is the only one I have been made aware of it's completion.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • GoBustGoBust Posts: 591 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a very challenging accomplishment. Takes focus,drive, intense searching and a solid addiction! CONGRATS!!!

• BikergeekBikergeek Posts: 381 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the good words and encouragement, folks. It's deeply appreciated! Just a few quick comments before I sack out. @jesbbroken, the @Barndog set that retired was complete, and it had some stellar coins in it. I was fortunate enough to pick up quite a few of his set pieces, which deeply helped me reach my goals. I will consider a longer post (or two or three) with some of the tales along the way... watch this space. lol

And @GoBust the word "addiction" is a perfect description!

New website: Groovycoins.com Capped Bust Half Dime registry set: Bikergeek CBHD LM Set

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dude congrats! Very well done.

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! Just paged through your set. Amazing set, and even more amazing is that you completed this set in slightly less than four years!!! You have shown that when the very rare die marriages appear, you have to step up to acquire them.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful accomplishment! Congratulations upon reaching your goal.

• epcepc Posts: 209 ✭✭✭✭

Excellent work! Liberty Seated Half Dimes next? I'm having fun, but the goal is not as well defined yet...

Collector of Liberty Seated Half Dimes, including die pairs and die states

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍

@epc, I dunno about Seated. I'm drawn to the old stuff - Seated seems awful "modern." heheh

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 844 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely incredible, I am so impressed! Thanks for sharing your experience and your rare new addition to the set. Were most of the rarities cherrypicked or purchased attributed?

Maybe you can work on the other bust denominations, let's say... bust halves?!?! :D Since attribution is the same, and they are of the same time period. Or maybe you can start on dimes or quarters. Fun times!!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• goldengolden Posts: 9,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Super achievement!

@jacrispies there's a great brotherhood around the bust halves. The community makes me want to jump into that set - but the 450 varieties is pretty intimidating. Knowing me, I'd want to Pokemon that set: "gotta catch 'em all!"

Dimes are under strong consideration and I have the Variety ID Guide right by my laptop here. I'll also be helping to collect the Bust Quarter Census inputs and that may light my fire to that series.

In sum: I don't know yet. hah!

I'll talk more about the rarities when I do a more thorough write-up...

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

What an achievement.
    You must have really been focused just to keep up with all the data you need to refer back to.
    Very impressive!

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

• BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,488 ✭✭✭✭✭

about the 1835 LM-12 ...next? ;)

• scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations on that milestone! And what a great looking 29 considering the rarity. I love midgrade capped bust coins.

I do not have a half dime to post, but I’m excited to get one when the right coin comes along…

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations, that is a great accomplishment that required considerable numismatic knowledge.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations Sean ... you are a dedicated, determined and absolutely crazy addict and scholar (never thought I'd put those words together)!

Really a fantastic accomplishment!! Well deserved.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,139 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, what an achievement! Congratulations!

• marmacmarmac Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭

Wow, that is quite an accomplishment! Congratulation

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file