Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Will this 1918D Mercury Dime grade uncirculated at PCGS

FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what you can see what do you think?
.

Thanks.

Comments

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 11:46AM

    No. Look at the hairline scratches on the obverse.

  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:
    No. Look at the hairline scratches on the obverse.

    If you are talking about the streaks by L in liberty those are tone streaks.

    Ken

  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I don't think so, too many issues going on.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fairlaneman said:

    @jmlanzaf said:
    No. Look at the hairline scratches on the obverse.

    If you are talking about the streaks by L in liberty those are tone streaks.

    Ken

    The two on the chin?

  • Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2, 2024 12:09PM

    I'm thinking AU58. Looks like some luster breaks on the very high points.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

    No. Great coin, but that baby has been in circulation.

  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes. MS63 or MS64.

    peacockcoins

  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I like it but would be surprised by an UNC grade. It looks like a good strike with a little wear.

  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Sure, the FB lines are all just about there.

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, MS-63 or possibly MS-64.
    Not quite full bands.

  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What do you think this is?

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I'm also in with the 63/64

  • Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,942 ✭✭✭✭✭

    AU with possible problems that will keep it from getting a straight grade.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    ShurkeShurke Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

    From what I can see, it looks UNC. Not sure if the minor action on the obverse would keep it from straight grading.

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Here's an uncirculated fb Merc to compare to.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I also see this as a circulated coin.

  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,931 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jesbroken said:
    Here's an uncirculated fb Merc to compare to.
    Jim

    Yours is missing the scratch on the chin.

  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Wrong die pair.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    PortrossPortross Posts: 82 ✭✭✭

    Could this be a late die stage coin that is poorly struck, especially the obverse?

  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,031 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What is that thin,hair like,thread like, thing between e/r of Liberty, extending from the rim to the top of the head,wing area? Something on the holder or a stray hair on the coin.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @BLUEJAYWAY said:
    What is that thin,hair like,thread like, thing between e/r of Liberty, extending from the rim to the top of the head,wing area? Something on the holder or a stray hair on the coin.

    Cat hair!!!

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • Options

    I can see it possibly grading lower MS. I can't discern wear per se from these pics.
    By the way @Fairlaneman, I'd love to view your set registry if you have one.
    Here's my work in progress:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/half-dimes/mercury-dimes-specialty-sets/mercury-dimes-basic-set-circulation-strikes-1916-1945/publishedfinest/970

  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

    i'd be asking you

    slight rub on cheek and on handle of the fasces

    no fb, but you didn't ask did you?

    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    NickelMikeNickelMike Posts: 190 ✭✭✭

    Circ for sure.

  • Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 3, 2024 9:20AM
    1. We all know we are not supposed to grade via pictures.
    2. AU vs. low MS Merc grading can be tough, even with the coin in hand.
    3. This one has lots of mottled, irregular color; I can't imagine it has any luster in hand.
    4. I'll take your word for it on the "toning scratches (I mean streaks)", so the fields are clean.
    5. The strike seems pretty decent.
    6. I don't know what to make of the "splotch" between the I and B.

    Still, I see rub in the temple to feathers to jawline triangle, on the cheek, and on the nostril. I think it's an AU55. But you're the expert, so I suspect it's really a 63. : )

    A Coin Facts 58 that I much prefer over this coin.

    If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

    Tommy

  • Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 605 ✭✭✭✭

    Barely au58

  • Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

    58 imho.

    Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Probably 58, unless there is more luster in the coin than the photos indicate.

  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Ronsanderson said:
    I cannot see what makes folks think this is uncirculated. I’m not trying to be unduly harsh, but it just looks like a coin that has spent time in a pocket picking up dirt. The hair lacks detail and the scratches on the chin and across to the L look old enough to have accumulated dirt and have been smoothed by wear.

    I wasn’t going much higher than XF, and at a stretch AU50 because the reverse looks pretty nice. But, also worn.

    Here I have a coin from the same era with a lot more texture in the hair and fine grain texture on all surfaces. That’s just simply missing from the OP’s coin.

    The cartwheel effect is wicked cool - how did you do that? Is it real cartwheel or is it “simulated”?

  • Options
    psuman08psuman08 Posts: 237 ✭✭✭

    No 55/58

  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

    To start, not a bad coin but... I'm quite shocked at the number of MS grade guesses. Not a chance this is uncirculated. Also don't like the area between I and B in LIBERTY as some have pointed out that may even keep it from straight grading.

    Mark

  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @mark_dak said:
    To start, not a bad coin but... I'm quite shocked at the number of MS grade guesses. Not a chance this is uncirculated. Also don't like the area between I and B in LIBERTY as some have pointed out that may even keep it from straight grading.

    Mark

    Its not that shocking since most folks can't tell between a weak strike/worn dies and wear.

    62/63 but I'll just say its surprising the merc dime guy is asking grade opinions in his series of specialty.

    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    mark_dakmark_dak Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @clarkbar04 said:

    @mark_dak said:
    To start, not a bad coin but... I'm quite shocked at the number of MS grade guesses. Not a chance this is uncirculated. Also don't like the area between I and B in LIBERTY as some have pointed out that may even keep it from straight grading.

    Mark

    Its not that shocking since most folks can't tell between a weak strike/worn dies and wear.

    62/63 but I'll just say its surprising the merc dime guy is asking grade opinions in his series of specialty.

    I guess the OP is a Mercury expert but there's no way I would purchase the coin as an UNC.

    Mark

  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 234 ✭✭✭

    @Ronsanderson said:
    I cannot see what makes folks think this is uncirculated. I’m not trying to be unduly harsh, but it just looks like a coin that has spent time in a pocket picking up dirt. The hair lacks detail and the scratches on the chin and across to the L look old enough to have accumulated dirt and have been smoothed by wear.

    I wasn’t going much higher than XF, and at a stretch AU50 because the reverse looks pretty nice. But, also worn.

    Here I have a coin from the same era with a lot more texture in the hair and fine grain texture on all surfaces. That’s just simply missing from the OP’s coin.

    Weak strike on an early merc dime, combined with subpar lighting and darker surfaces. If this coin is a 50 I'll take every single merc like this that you have

    Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

  • Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭✭

    An AU.

  • Options
    RonsandersonRonsanderson Posts: 41 ✭✭✭

    @Connecticoin said:

    @Ronsanderson said:
    I cannot see what makes folks think this is uncirculated. I’m not trying to be unduly harsh, but it just looks like a coin that has spent time in a pocket picking up dirt. The hair lacks detail and the scratches on the chin and across to the L look old enough to have accumulated dirt and have been smoothed by wear.

    I wasn’t going much higher than XF, and at a stretch AU50 because the reverse looks pretty nice. But, also worn.

    Here I have a coin from the same era with a lot more texture in the hair and fine grain texture on all surfaces. That’s just simply missing from the OP’s coin.

    The cartwheel effect is wicked cool - how did you do that? Is it real cartwheel or is it “simulated”?

    Not to hijack the thread, but …
    It’s real. I put the camera stand on a little turntable so the coin and camera move together. Then I take 9 shots about 10 degrees apart as I rotate the platform under the fixed lights. I do the same with the reverse and then join the obverse/reverse pairs into nine new images. These nine images are then joined as nine frames in a GIF file and set to cycle through in a second or so. So I guess this is real cartwheel luster, because I wouldn't know how to simulate it.

  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The areas of first wear seem darker. I can not tell if because weaker strike did not get rid of planchet color or if AU. I am guessing AU58+ at PCGS.

    from this book

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file