Home Q & A Forum
Options

How to protect compromised plastic case with bonus USMint 2023 Women's Quarter

This USMint 2023 Women's quarters was a gift for my 10-yr old granddaughter. I gift-wrapped it without opening the box. At Christmas when she opened it, we noticed the bonus coin and the bowed case.

I am not offering it for sale - it isn't mine, it belongs to my granddaughter.

I am asking advice about how to proceed from here. I asked the USMint for help, but they declined to get involved since I contacted them after their deadline for returning 'damaged' items.

1. Should I do anything? (I'm inclined to do something to protect these proof coins since they are exposed to air.)

2. What would you suggest? (I propose removing the 'bonus' coin [it appears to be Eleanor Roosevelt] by holding the case with the open side down; prying open the case just enough to let the coin fall out. Keep wedges in the gap to hold it open.)

3. After removing the bonus coin, seal the case - with something. But what is the best sealant? Tester's glue? Silicone? Nothing.

4. Does anyone know how the USMint seals their plastic cases?

5. Any other ideas?

Answers

• Options
    johnhenry9009johnhenry9009 Posts: 74 ✭✭
    edited March 28, 2024 10:02AM

I'd say leave the Quarter in and just give it a push in so it's in the case all the way. It makes for a nice conversation piece.
    I think the US mint just uses Snap-On plastic similar to a Air-tight so if you want to take the coin out. You can gently pop it open. Here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkppbP0dOxI skip to 6:25-7:19 Hopefully this helps. 😊

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't use any glue, the off gas could react with the coin surfaces. Clear scotch tape if necessary. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@johnhenry9009 said:
    I'd say leave the Quarter in and just give it a push in so it's in the case all the way. It makes for a nice conversation piece.
    I think the US mint just uses Snap-On plastic similar to a Air-tight so if you want to take the coin out. You can gently pop it open. Here is a link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkppbP0dOxI skip to 6:25-7:19 Hopefully this helps. 😊

Thanks johnhenry for your two thoughtful options, and thanks for the link to the (somewhat disturbing) youTube video about how to open a USMint plastic case.

It's not entirely clear that the bonus coin can be pushed back into the case so that the case will close again. It would probably need to be pushed both down and also toward one of the top row coins. Even then, the embossed "USA" occupies a significant amount of space, and may prevent the case from sealing even after moving it.

Breaking open the case seems easy enough to do. It might be possible to open the case, remove the coin, then cut away the embossed "USA" pocket (or squash it flat), then replace the bonus coin, and reseal the case. Then we would still be able to have a nice conversation piece with the bonus coin in a sealed case.

I will ask the owner what she thinks.

• Options

@Namvet69 said:
    Don't use any glue, the off gas could react with the coin surfaces. Clear scotch tape if necessary. Good luck. Peace Roy

Good points. Thank you Namvet69.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd leave it as is. It might have a small premium to someone, but any tampering will eliminate that.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would live it as is
    Once you remove the extra quarter the possible value of this USMFOOPAW is only a memory.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

Keep Her Set and Purchase the Quarter set on line / Coin Store or Coin Show.

• Options

A suggestion to "keep" her set implies that I have some sort of ownership. I made it clear in my initial post that it belongs to my granddaughter. You must not have any 10-yr-old grandchildren! :D

I'm inclined to let her decide what to do.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Interesting side note. I sent an email with the above photos to the USMint. They apologized for any 'inconvenience', and offered a replacement. I replied that I had no desire to return it - I only wanted them to know of their error, and suggested they examine their inspection stations to ensure such mistakes are reduced. They replied that they would inform 'upper management' about this issue.

Last week I received a package from the USM containing a set of cardboard boxes for each mint set that I ordered last year. The accompanying unsigned, undated letter stated "We were recently informed of a problem on the packaging of your order.... To ensure we maintain our high standards, we are providing you with updated replacement packaging."

Upper management, eh?

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vaccuum seal the case, if she does not decide to spend the coins.

• Options
    ConshyboyConshyboy Posts: 388 ✭✭✭✭

Doesn't appear to be any area available for it to be even in there from the photo you provided

• Options

I agree with you, Conshyboy.

Even if the extra coin is manipulated inside the case so that it no longer impinges the seal, the case is unlikely to close. The case would likely bow out because of lack of space between the embossed "USA" 'pocket' and the now-moved extra coin. But it might make an interesting item. Worst case is the seal is still compromised. And there might still be a risk of contamination.

Alternatively, if the extra coin is manipulated away from the seal, and if expected bowing occurs, it might be possible to apply pressure over the extra coin and hope the pressure on the embossed "USA" 'pocket' causes it to collapse enough to eliminate the bowing. Another interesting scenario.

Doing nothing is the easiest choice, but the risk of contamination remains.

The case will likely seal if the extra coin is removed and put into its own sealed container. Then there will be two sealed containers with a total of 6 mint coins.