Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox open the series tomorrow with the Baltimore Orioles and look much improved over last year.

tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 8, 2024 4:44PM in Sports Talk

They had a successful pre-season and are looking forward to continue their good start .
The young pitchers are going to be the key to their season.
I know most of you are skeptical butI am still hopeful for a playoff berth
What are your feelings?

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

My buddy thinks they will win 90.games

I'm not buying it until they get out there and play

• Options

I think they have a good chance of winning 90 games.
    They showed some good stuff in the pre-season.
    It will not take too long to find out which as they are starting out on the west coast!
    I suppose it is as good place as any to get the season started to get the first trip west over with.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am excited to see Casas and Bello blossom more. I think Casas could hit 40 bombs this year.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 6:29AM

The one place I do see a problem with is errors at 3rd base. Devers made another one yesterday. He should be the DH as I have been saying since he came up. Errors lead to losses !
    Dick Stuart had the same problem as he gave up as many runs as he knocked in The only difference was there was no DH then to save him.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,619 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the team is in a rebuilding mode. It may be a year or two before some, if not most of the new signees blossom and can compete in the AL East. Cora (the cheater), needs to GO, and from what I've read, the ownership has already hamstrung Breslow as he's been given "parameters", their word, within which to perform his tasks.

I wouldn't get too rah, rah, it's gonna be a long season. Winning 81 games gives them a .500 season, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

For those sitting on the edge of their seats with their popcorn tomorrow night, enjoy the games and the season. We simply have a difference of opinion. I would like nothing more than for the team to prove me wrong, and if they do, I'll be happy to post that they did so.

• Options

I understand my friend!

• Options

Understand that I am not an anti-Red Sox team person. I simply don't comprehend some of the decisions (many are bone-headed moves), made by the powers to be. Maybe it started with David Price, maybe letting Mookie go, maybe losing Bogearts, maybe the El Sapo Gordo deal, aka Pablo Sandoval, maybe before then, BUT, it appears to me that somebody at the helm has been asleep at the switch. I will say that getting rid of that boat anchor, Sale, was a good move. BTW, he recently told local sports guys that he'll pitch anywhere, at anytime under any circumstances...gee, maybe he'll even take the trash out. Where was all this exuberance when his former team needed him most. OVERPAID, and UNDERPERFORMING.

I think they've put a lot of faith in a bunch of untested new guys. Spring Training is by no means a measure of upcoming seasonal performance. Maybe there's a star in the new signees, but I ain't on the rah, rah train. Cora will still look like a deer in the headlights in the dugout, sparkless, and appearing to yearn for his future years in Puerto Rico...this from the guy who snubbed the President and ecnouraged other Latino players not to go to the White House because he felt the US didn't give enough aide after the horrible hurricane. Oh yeah, same clown that cheated while in Houston.

So, let's see how it goes come July or so, I figure by then the cake should be baked. For those with an opposing view, I sincerely hope the season holds many positives for the team and for your enjoyment.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 11:20AM

Cora needs to go for sure but he is not the one making the decisions that are the big problem with the sox. They are made in upper management.I do like what I see from the young pitchers. Hopefully they can continue for the whole season. We shall see!

• Options

Let's Go SOX!!!!

I hope they make it interesting at least, and I hope the Yankees are an utter disaster again 🍻

• Options

I will 2nd that my friend otherwise it will be a long season
    One thing for sure is we will finally have some baseball to watch !
    I am sick watching football as thePatriots suck and can not stand basketball or scocker.

• Options

Are you ready for some baseball? Todays the day for another season to begin! GO SOX !

• Options

I will be anxious to see how Bello does tonight. I wont be listening though. those 10 PM start times are a killer for those of us back east

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hard to start listening at 10PM. But you can get up at sunrise and listen to the last couple innings.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

It's on at 8 here. I'm going to lie down at 3 pm here for a nap.

• Options

Great game tonight ! I hope you got tape of it as it showed some fantastic base running, some timely hitting and a record home run O'Neill home run.

• Options

Nice opening day W!

• Options

Tyler O'Neil opening day HR again

• Options

Well, they're off to a good start. Time will tell the story.

• Options

Hey, they won the first one!!! great start!

• Options

Be honest, how many of you stayed up last night to watch that game ?
    I'll bet , seeing as how its Friday, game viewing will be up for tonights game to see if the sox are for real or notI know its tough for you east coasters as have been the and done that.

• Options

What??? No comment about last night's game?

C'mon Steve, you gotta play it straight, you can't just rah, rah about the wins... What about all that "fantastic base running and timely hitting"? Pivetta pitched a gem with 10ks, Dalbec looked like he was elsewhere, and the timely hitting was nowhere to be seen. Fair is fair, if you can comment about the wins, but how about commenting about the tough loses. 1-0, tells me Seattle's pitcher was on fire and the Sox couldn't figure him out.

Oh, remember that guy who used to play for the Sox, Mookie Betts?? He got another Silver Slugger Award last night, and just to put the cherry on the cake, he hit his 3rd homer. This guy is lovin' life.

https://baseball-almanac.com/players/awards.php?p=bettsmo01
    How do you let a guy like this get away?

Hey, its only baseball, Happy Easter to Red Sox Nation.

• Options
    edited March 30, 2024 8:34AM

Losing Mookie was just another massive mistake by the Red Sox and I never liked it.
    Dalbac has no business even being on the roster! He can't hit his way out of a paper bag.
    Privet did pitch a great game and he was not getting the calls on the lower pitchers that were being allowed in the ninth inning of the game.
    If pitching continues like this they will do fine but REPLACE Dalbec!

• Options
    edited March 31, 2024 12:56AM

Another wasted gem pitching performance.

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

No chance of catching Baltimore or NY. Agree or disagree.

• Options

Hard to say at this point as things happen as the season progresses. I watched most of the Baltimore and Yankee games yesterday and was not that impressed with their performances. It all depends on the pitching of these teams over the next few months.

• Options

we will know what they are by the end of may. I am going in with low expectations so i will not be dissappointed!!

• Options

It's Easter, I'll let this one go.

PS Abreu sucks

• Options

Another good start from the young corp of starters!

• Options

I will take 2 and 2 from an opening road trip.to.Seattle, apparently their first few starters are really good pitchers so it was good to see them split rather than get beat down

• Options

glad to see the starters have a good showing.

• Options

They still have one more tuning up in Worchester as they don't have room on the roster here for him. The Yankees were good to trade a couple of decent pitchers for a smart ass right fielder. That trade looks huge right now and you will like Abreu in the long run as he sure is an improvement over what we has out there.

• Options

So, the game was scheduled to be shown here in the Atlanta area. I get a little pumped 'cause I wanna see the new guys...
    tilt...the game is blacked out! How can a game over 2,500 miles away be blacked out? I have Directv, and sometimes I can find games in the 600+ channel arena. I found the game on channel 749, which oddly is the pay channel, but they have a small freebie time going on. Channel 213 the following morning will show highlights of all previous night's games, pretty nice to see the key parts of the game in abou 3-4 minutes.

So, team looked great and solid. Pitching was at peak and they looked like winners. The link is from a Boston writer...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/other/strong-showing-from-starting-rotation-gives-red-sox-reason-to-believe-mcadam/ar-BB1kQSA8

• Options

Common guys, get behind this team as they have a chance to be very good this year!
    MLB is less than the cost of attending one game and it runs for the whole season so it won't break your wallets if you subscribe and only watch a game or two.

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    Common guys, get behind this team as they have a chance to be very good this year!
    MLB is less than the cost of attending one game and it runs for the whole season so it won't break your wallets if you subscribe and only watch a game or two.

I'm behind them of course but my disclaimer is I can't keep up with every game, I will post and contribute as much as I can though!

GO SOX!!!!!

• Options
    edited April 1, 2024 9:36AM

I understand why everybody isn't retired like me and have other things in their lives to do. I have nothing else to do with my life but to watch television and be on the computer. I used to do all the things actively like you but now about the only thing I do includes getting to the refrigerator for something to drink, non- alcoholic as i am limited, and getting back to my chair.

GO SOX !

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    I understand why everybody isn't retired like me and have other things in their lives to do. I have nothing else to do with my life but to watch television and be on the computer. I used to do all the things actively like you but now about the only thing I do includes getting to the refrigerator for something to drink, non- alcoholic as i am limited, and getting back to my chair.

GO SOX !

And I'm happy that you got the Sox to enjoy!

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

I am also retired, but do other things. I doesn't make sense for me to have the MLB package. Besides, that would force me to spend 3 hrs waaaaaaaaaaay too often to watch games. The wife is good with a game here and there, but watching every game ain't gonna happen. It isn't about getting behind the team, I want them to win, but am very outspoken when I see what is IMO dumb trades, or no trades at all. When they play like chumps I call them on it. No secret I'm NO fan of the Puerto Rican loser at the helm and will not be sad to see him go next year. There have been a TON of articles written about the lackluster moves the Sox management have made this year, so I'm not the only one that sees where opportunities may have been missed. Of course, we are mere spectators and don't know the machinations of what goes on behind the scenes, but at some point the loss of Red Sox team players becomes obvious. I also think John Henry uses the Red Sox as a cash cow to enjoy his other ventures and as long as things are kinda rolling along, he's ok. If he were more focused on the team really excelling, we'd see more positive moves.

I think it's important to look at both sides, when they play well, and when they don't.

I know your situation in Albuquerque and how important the games are to you. We are all different and have different lives to follow and enjoy. I assure you, it isn't about money, I've got more than enough to pretty much do what I want, and as I've mentioned before, I have travel plans and intend to do so as long as I can. I'm not sure how "getting behind the team" means much, we have no control over anything. I hope they continue to improve and do well, but the AL East is no picnic and I think they're over-matched by every team in their division. It is kinda funny to see Verdugo without the beard!

My wish is for Youkilis to be fired...count the times he says "right there". You'd think somebody would tell him he has a bad habit, and he doesn't have to analyze every pitch or swing with boring baseballisms, like "he stayed within himself", etc, etc. Any chance of bringing Eck out of retirement? He was worth the price of admission.

How I miss the days of Remy and Orsillo!! Orsillo is with the Padres now, and I catch an inning or two and enjoy hearing his comments.

Ok, everybody stay well, enjoy life and be as happy as you can.

Recuerda que es solo beisbol_
    Remember, it's only baseball

• Options
    pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:

I enjoy getting all my info from here, keep it coming.
    Thank you Tommy.

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Nobody is confusing the Mariners with the 1927 Yankees, that's for sure. They're tough to watch offensively.

• Options

In understand the wife thing and other things to do to take up your time. My wife and I used to do all those things you are now enjoying when we were younger but COPD has since taken control of her life. We still have fond memories of past times and hope everyone else can experience what we did just a few short years ago. I am 84 and she is 80 so we had our days in the sun.

• Options
    edited April 1, 2024 10:51PM

10 strikeouts for Hough tonight . Anderson got 3 more in relief. Only needed 2 pitchers tonight for the shutout! Duran had 3 hits and 3 stolen bases, a Red Sox record..

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:
    10 strikeouts for Hough tonight . Anderson got 3 more in relief. Only needed 2 pitchers tonight for the shutout! Duran had 3 hits and 3 stolen bases, a Red Sox record..

3 stolen bases is a Red Sox record??

• Options

@tommyrusty7 said:

Duran had 3 hits and 3 stolen bases, a Red Sox record..

Ahhh, not quite. Jacoby Ellsbury stole 5 bases against the Phillies in 2013. A record I doubt will ever be tied or broken.

• Options

It was in the 1st 5 games of the season.

• Options
    4Boston4Boston Posts: 280 ✭✭✭

That Duran Duran is hungry like a wolf. Some player.

• Options

Raffela is said to be as fast or even even faster than Duran! He sure gets to those fly balls in center field quickly.

• Options

He sure showed his speed in centerfield last night which proved to be what kept Oakland from winning the game. Only one game behind the Yankees with all there power hitters .

• Options
    edited April 3, 2024 3:33AM

Sox beating up on Oakland as they should on this brutal west coast trip to start the season

• Options

it is a good start for sure. I hope they can keep it up!

• Options

As I have said from the beginning its all about their pitching and I like what I saw at the beginning of Spring training. The hitting is ok with the exception of Dalbec who has not proven he can consistently do the job, He is able to field in a couple of key positions but I doubt that he can hit consistently at a major league level.