Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Russian empire 5 kopek coins

I picked up a group of these recently, late 1700s Catherine the Great era, 5 kopek coins. Does anyone know what besides the Ukraine war may have caused the collapse of the price of the better ones? How would you grade this one?

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/world/russia-5-kopeks-c-59.3-1763-1796-cuid-1095100-duid-1537121

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

They're pretty common, I've only owned one and it ended up getting bronze disease. I got like $40 for it, but russian coins are one of my least collected coins in my collection.

• Options

My local coin dealer always has a big jar full of medium grade 5 Kopek coins.
    He offers them for 25€ per piece (~27 Dollars) but usually accepts a deal of 22€ (~24 Dollars) per piece. The price has stayed consistant for at least a decade now.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The question I would have then is that why NGC has the better ones, XF and better, as worth over $100, but there do not appear to be better dates or minting locations.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 26, 2024 5:22PM

Hey, finally something I know a little about! I collect these old lumps of coal, among other things. Here's the website of a collection I was fortunate enough to buy - it's about 2/3 of my heavy copper collection - the site shows most of the rare dates and major varieties...
    www.oldrussiancoins.com
    I haven't noticed a big drop in prices, but I'm really picky, and I habitually overpay. I try to find uncorroded coins and coins that haven't been processed much to remove corrosion. They made a lot of this type - hundreds of millions over the years - and most of them sat around unused in daily commerce, so many dates and mints can easily be found in XF-AU condition. My collecting mentor for these - the guy who sold me the linked collection - said to look at the crown above the cipher for wear, because it's the highest element of the design, first thing to show wear. Your coin looks XF-ish to me.