Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1945 FB-66 Dime

This is an insanely rare dime. Serious offers only.

Comments

• Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

$1.79

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not FB.

• Options

@golden said:
    Not FB.

my camera just isnt that good

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Not even remotely close to FB. You have no split on the central band. As others have said, those mongrel holders are meaningless.

My camera just isnt good enough. i took it into stack bowers in boston and they said it was FB

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Not even remotely close to FB. You have no split on the central band. As others have said, those mongrel holders are meaningless.

My camera just isnt good enough. i took it into stack bowers in boston and they said it was FB

Then why didn't they buy it?

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options

@Morgan13 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

they are an auction house not a buyer.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 3:01PM

@FinnsCoin said:

Your camera is fine and it doesn't matter what Stack's Bowers said, or what they meant. Your coin has not been slabbed by PCGS. It's worth about $2 until a third party grading service agrees with you and puts it in a slab with their guarantee behind it.

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better pictures needed

Martin

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 3:56PM

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Then why isn't it in a PCGS or NGC holder? You want full value, a mongrel holder and an unverifiable story of a Stack's opinion isn't going to get it.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 3:56PM

@FinnsCoin said:

@Morgan13 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Actually, they do buy.

• Options

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Is it a fun house camera? We can see the separation in the fasces and the top and bottom band. How do you manage to just get the middle bands out of focus?

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

It doesn’t look like it’s FB from your pictures. If you think it’s FB and want to maximize value submit to a TPG. Good luck.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin if you want to be taken seriously here I suggest that you take this down immediately. This is not reddit or facebook where a bunch of clueless non collectors hang out. Everyone here can see that this coin is in a junk basement slab and the coin is not FB and is only worth a bit over melt value. If you persist with the bogus stories and continue to try and push garbage here you will have a garbage reputation.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@coinbuf said:
    @FinnsCoin if you want to be taken seriously here I suggest that you take this down immediately. This is not reddit or facebook where a bunch of clueless non collectors hang out. Everyone here can see that this coin is in a junk basement slab and the coin is not FB and is only worth a bit over melt value. If you persist with the bogus stories and continue to try and push garbage here you will have a garbage reputation.

But it is SERIAL NUMBER 1!!!!

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

@golden said:
    Not FB.

my camera just isnt that good

Neither is your coin

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:

@Morgan13 said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

The Boston office has a counter and a number of items on display specifically so they can buy and sell outside of auctions. I stopped by when I was in Boston in December and had a great conversation. They have extremely knowledgeable numismatists there.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Poor Jeremy, it's been a hoot here tonight at the PCGS hoedown. You would have thought it was a Friday going into a three-day weekend if you check out the US Coin forum page.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 11:29PM

A few years back I sold a 1945 dime in NGC MS-67 FB at Heritage Auctions. Did very well. I still have a bunch of these 1945 dimes in various mint state grades graded by PCGS all with CAC stickering. You have a uncirculated 1945 dime but not FB. I also have a roll of uncirculated 1945 dimes with similar attributes as your dime. They are worth up to $3-$4 each. If you want to get a better offer just submit your dime to NGC or PCGS then try to get them CAC stickered to verify your contention that you have a FB dime. Otherwise, you are wasting your time.

Good luck.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 25, 2024 4:59AM

Bye
    $26,500 vs $2
    Good markup.

LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the immortal words of Porky Pig. "The the that's all folks". Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@FinnsCoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

Is it a fun house camera? We can see the separation in the fasces and the top and bottom band. How do you manage to just get the middle bands out of focus?

I just got a better image of it in better light conditions. I figured to quote you since you are my biggest critic.

• Options

The dime is FB and is in fact very rare. I just couldnt get a good enough image.

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

Too late. 🤣

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jonathanb said:
    @FinnsCoin I haven't phrased my responses quite as strongly as @coinbuf just did. I personally don't think that your stories are bogus or that you're trying to push garbage. Among other things I don't 'think you've mentioned a single asking price, which is the opposite of "pushing" anything. Also, you've stuck around and replied in thread, which is very unusual from our perspective.

I do think that you're simply wrong on the facts in many, many areas. That's ok. Or at least ok-ish. Everyone needs to learn.

The part that gets a lot of people on edge here is when they see people learning at the expense of others.

You step over a line when you set up a table at a show. You are making at least an implied statement that you're not going to defraud a buyer. When you list coins with those labels you are far beyond "matter of opinion" differences. The difference between 62 and 64 is a matter of opinion. The difference between 62 and 68 is not a matter of opinion. Full bands can be a matter of opinion in some cases. You coins are not in one of those cases.

I personally suggest that you take your coins and walk them around to get offers from dealers at a show first, before getting a table yourself. Danvers is a small show. Devens would be a better choice, to get more opinions. The largest show in the New England area will be in Manchester NH this Friday and Saturday. That would be an even better choice if you're able to get there.

I think you'll find that the vast majority of your non-type pieces have a "true value" (meaning "what people are willing to pay") close to their silver value, in some cases maybe $5 or $10 more. Your type pieces might be more interesting, but several of them could be cleaned (I can't really tell from the pictures) and your grades look high across the board. They still ought to be worth a lot more than their silver value... but I suspect nowhere near what you think they're worth.

If you're able to walk these around at a show, try asking each dealer to explain their thinking for not being interested in a given piece. Many dealers are very happy to give detailed advice to someone who is willing to listen and learn.

It's called trolling. The idea isn't to try to sell this crap to us. It's to get us to respond. Mission accomplished.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭✭✭

@NJCoin said:
    It's called trolling. The idea isn't to try to sell this crap to us. It's to get us to respond. Mission accomplished.

Yep. Mea culpa!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do have to admit your latest image is far better than the previous images. You would likely have been much better off if you started this thread with that image instead of the other images.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    humanssuckhumanssuck Posts: 323 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FinnsCoin said:
    The dime is FB and is in fact very rare. I just couldnt get a good enough image.

Better picture. Still not FB.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our little friend has been banned and the thread about starting his own TPG seems to have been poofed altogether.

I guess this drama will never get a conclusion. 😱

• Options

Looks like Finn got the hammer

Martin

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finn 'ol boy, we hardly knew ya!
    I guess looking for advice on how to "start your own grading service" to undercut PCGS on the forums that they pay for was a bad idea? Who would have thunk it?! 😆

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    edited March 25, 2024 5:45PM

@DCW said:
    Finn 'ol boy, we hardly knew ya!
    I guess looking for advice on how to "start your own grading service" to undercut PCGS on the forums that they pay for was a bad idea? Who would have thunk it?! 😆

DCW I don’t think they were worried about the grading. But his doing truviews is where he messed up

Martin

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,329 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your three images. Regardless of the 3rd photo which matches the 2nd, this does not mean the reverse you provide photos of matches the obverse. If it actually did, the coin would already be at PCGS for evaluation. No one would offer this true speciman raw, nor likely anyone would buy it raw. If true. Great luck, get it entombed, sell and spend your riches. BTW, it's amazing you got out of SB with an 1945 FB Merc.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Perhaps FB is mistaken for Flat Band?

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

There looks to be a nice gash in the field next to the U in UNITED. That might keep the grade below 66.