Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Current Job Opening at PCGS

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 25, 2024 1:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I usually look at the career listings once a month. In light of a few recent topics it was interesting to see the following listing:

Photography Supervisor (PCGS)
Collectors • Santa Ana, CA
What You’ll Do:

Produce photographs of coins in accordance with industry standards as established by lead photographer
Produce photographs to the satisfaction of our exacting clientele
Use specialized photography and studio lighting techniques for in-house marketing projects
Utilize in-house photographic processes established by lead photographer and software developers
Implement new and improve upon existing systems

Who You Are:

3-5 years of experience in product photography
2+ years of management experience
Must have knowledge of Canon EOS system, lightning, and other manual photographic techniques
Must have strong verbal and written communication skills
Must understand and relay company policies and procedures
Ability to exhibit creativity and flexibility when appropriate
Ability to plan and accomplish goals and deliver products in a timely manner.
Physical Requirements:

Sitting and Standing for extended period of time
Inspect and Receive submissions
Occasionally lift and/or move up to 20 pounds
Salary Range:

The salary range for this position is $65,000-$95,000. Actual compensation on this range varies based on a variety of non-discriminatory factors, including location, job level, experience, and skill set.

I am interested in everyone's thoughts about this open position.

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Going to be hard to replace Phil. I hope they do and soon b4 my coming submission.
    BTW, my 20 subs photos at GC are gorgeous.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

So it looks like this is a "work from home" position which makes it enticing for the right person.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 23, 2024 12:57PM

I could see taking that job if they are providing the equipment and studio.

Running a photography business is about 25% photography... at best.

Wedding, portrait, sports clients are cheap and the competition fierce.

Product photography is far more specialized, but no less expensive to manage.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

they need to pay a lot more to attract the talent to turn the sinking ship around

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ctf_error_coins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    What a disgusting low pay range. Really PCGS???

You will NOT get any talent for that salary.

Photographers are, unfortunately, not valued in this business. That's why I learned how to grade. :smiley:

Photographers are not valued in any business.

That is why I was a forced into becoming a coin dealer.

Hmmm...I wonder what that says about how college faculty are valued.

I didn't know you needed to make $150k or more to join this forum.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing is missing from the add
    Benifits

• Options
    edited March 23, 2024 1:16PM

Doesn't read as if the photog is doing the post processing.

All you have to do is "create" in their studio? Using their equipment? Leave the PP to another talent?

Sign me up all day, if cost of living wasn't 65% higher than national average.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@ctf_error_coins said:

@TomB said:

@Maywood said:
    So it looks like this is a "work from home" position which makes it enticing for the right person.

I highly doubt PCGS is going to hire someone to image coins and then allow that person to take the PCGS submissions home for imaging.

They are doing it with their error coins attributes..... :o

It's not uncommon with certain grading specialties. But imaging would be everything. I can't imagine they wouldn't do it in house just for QC pup purposes. You don't want different setups used, do you?

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish they had something to fit my skill set. I would love to join the workforce in the coin world.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 967 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@ctf_error_coins said:

@DelawareDoons said:

@ctf_error_coins said:
    What a disgusting low pay range. Really PCGS???

You will NOT get any talent for that salary.

Photographers are, unfortunately, not valued in this business. That's why I learned how to grade. :smiley:

Photographers are not valued in any business.

That is why I was a forced into becoming a coin dealer.

Hmmm...I wonder what that says about how college faculty are valued.

I didn't know you needed to make $150k or more to join this forum.

Fortunately I was grandfatherd in.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

There was a disc jockey back in the 1980s who worked at two different radio stations- each in different states.
    He would fly out after performing his morning show and do an afternoon gig in another state.
    I mention this because why couldn't Phil work not only work where he is at but also fly into Southern California and work with PCGS?
    I recently saw a Youtube video Phil put together and know he is a young guy.
    He could pull this off!

peacockcoins

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said: I highly doubt PCGS is going to hire someone to image coins and then allow that person to take the PCGS submissions home for imaging.

The fact that "location" was mentioned in the post led me to infer that this was an entry level position(bolstered by the salary) which would be post image processing and lead to an on sight move at some time in the future as PCGS saw fit. Perhaps I was wrong.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:
    @TomB said: I highly doubt PCGS is going to hire someone to image coins and then allow that person to take the PCGS submissions home for imaging.

The fact that "location" was mentioned in the post led me to infer that this was an entry level position(bolstered by the salary) which would be post image processing and lead to an on sight move at some time in the future as PCGS saw fit. Perhaps I was wrong.

Several years ago Phil put out the word that PCGS was hiring in the photo department, was to do post processing only. I was curious and asked Phil about the possibility of work from home, the answer at that time was 100% no. Doesn't mean that could not have changed from then but I rather doubt it.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood said:

Work from home? Do you honestly think they are going to be sending your coins to someone's home, when the post clearly says "Santa Ana, CA"?

• Options
    NJCoinNJCoin Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

@Maywood said:

None of that sounds like WFH to me. $65k-$95k in Irvine is nothing, too. Median sale price for a home in Irvine is $1.4 million. Surrounding areas aren't much better. You want a half decent place there, you're gonna need to pay $3000/month in rent. Godspeed to anybody who can make it work and produce the quality we have come to expect.

Agree about WFH. Disagree about people for basically entry level jobs deserving premium wages due to the cost of housing in the area. That's why commuting is a thing. Especially in a place like California.

• Options
    RampageRampage Posts: 9,418 ✭✭✭✭

@messydesk said:
    This is not an opening for a highly skilled numismatic photographer. It's basically a step above entry level general product photographer with hopes they can become good at shooting coins.

It says supervisor right in the position title. That is far from entry level.

• Options

This type of position that requires an employee to physically hold coins or any other collectibles should not ever be designated as a Work from Home position. I feel the same about management positions, which this vacancy is advertised as.

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭

Considering that the photographer has to capture images that will be most useful to all concerned, a reasonably solid understanding of coins and coin grading should also be required.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never checked, I already knew there was no way they could afford me. THKS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unless you live with your parents, the wages offered are far from what a person can live on in Santa Ana,Ca. I took a job in the Bay Area back in in early 2000's. I tried it for 3 months with a salary of 90k. Couldn't do it. Trashy rentals were 3k a month back then. 4-5k a month for something liveable. Groceries were 2 to 3 times higher than anywhere else. Santa Ana is much worse than the Bay Area (S.F.) is. My parents still live there paying high taxes and higher prices on everything.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rampage said:

@messydesk said:
    This is not an opening for a highly skilled numismatic photographer. It's basically a step above entry level general product photographer with hopes they can become good at shooting coins.

Is it, though?

• Options

@messydesk said:

@Rampage said:

@messydesk said:

Is it, though?

I would hope so, especially at an organization such as Collector's Universe. Just my opinion, though...

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,546 ✭✭✭✭✭

Salary for that position is not commensurate with living in S. California, even if you wanted to commute two hours each way. Nope, couldn't do it. A waitress at a decent restaurant will make more than that. Sorry, but where do they expect to get such talent for such salary? It will have to be local grown, single and still living at home, porhaps.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

3-5 yrs experience ? to replace phil?

help! I've fainted and I can't get up!

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@wondercoin said:
    ‘’where do they expect to get such talent for such salary?’’

Maybe hang out at In-N-Out Burger and ask a few of the employees if they are interested in an exciting career change for a bit less money? 😉

Jobs At In-N-Out Burger In California:

Safety Manager $92,567 $45/hour
    Team Leader $76,773 $37/hour

Wondercoin.

With that kind of money I might consider coming out of retirement :o

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

They’ll eventually find someone. It’s sad but true. It would be fantastic if they paid a living wage for that area but that’s yet to be determined. Maybe they’ll be forced to…..

I made my living as a photographer for many years. It was tough, but I loved photography. For decades, I worked two jobs to make ends meet and support a family. When digital hit, at age 47, it became untenable and I went back to school and changed careers- transitioning into something more practical.

Photography is like the arts and professional sports in that there are millions of people that want to do it and are willing to work for free or for next to nothing just to get experience. The competition is ridiculous and digital has made it even more so. EVERYONE IS a photographer these days! It’s worse than ever, and it’s always been very bad!
    You can make BIG bucks shooting weddings though, if you’re good!!!
    Not my thing….. I’ve done some for friends and family, and they loved my work, but for others? NO WAY!

Coin photography is without a doubt very challenging, specialized and difficult. I’ve shot coins, and they are TOUGH!
    I might hope that this specialized skill might be recognized professionally, as the ART that it is, and that the photographer that is able to execute it WELL- would be compensated accordingly!
    Not every competent photographer can excel with the imaging of coins.
    Looking back on a coin photo that I submitted 40 years ago with my portfolio for acceptance into a photography program in college, I now recognize that the photo, taken then, was not exceptional by current numismatic standards.

There’s a LOT to high quality coin imaging that a conventional commercial photographer may not grasp right out of the gate.

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

that's the rub , nwcoast. everyone can point and shoot... but professionally and to make it harder coins? I don't think phil can be replaced with 3-5 yrs experience. and I see the in-n-out post... the pay is too low to get someone who will put the true in TV

doesn't everyone here think phil was hired away for more money? that's my assumption.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

I've been sitting on about 200 coins for grading, waiting for the TV problem to be fixed. Between the bad photography, inconsistent turnaround times, and customer service difficulties, I'm ready to try ATS. It's just too bad there's so little urgency to correctly solve these problems. And it must be hard for PCGS employees working in a faltering part of the business that isn't getting necessary resources. It seems like a bad scene. I wish it were better.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    With hedge funds now owning both PCGS and NGC looking to extract as much capital as they can from these companies, cutting costs and maximizing profits is the name of the game.

While probably true, sometimes the downside to cutting costs works against maximizing profits.

And what company, private or public, isn't trying to maximize profits?

• Options

@MrEureka said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@logger7 said:
    With hedge funds now owning both PCGS and NGC looking to extract as much capital as they can from these companies, cutting costs and maximizing profits is the name of the game.

While probably true, sometimes the downside to cutting costs works against maximizing profits.

And what company, private or public, isn't trying to maximize profits?

Mine, actually. And so far, so good.

Lol. You need to give away more product for free if you're trying to minimize profits.

• Options
    edited March 24, 2024 9:56AM

A huge NC/SC real estate company was offering $15 per hour for photos/drone... no travel expenses, no equipment allowance to do real estate. Always on call, social media requirement, events. LOL

Toyed with idea of this niche, but going rate for a house is $150 for photos... and there are some talented photographers in this market.

Have worked for myself and with many others shooting over 100 weddings and twice as many sporting events.

Won awards and had great enjoyment and heart ache.

The business is brutal.

All my skill and equipment aside, I would just assume let PCGS take the images. That PCGS branding you can't replicate by yourself and posting a coin for sale online.

Why would anybody work for the low range when they can do Rideshare and clear $60K with a crap ton of deductions and alot of fun and freedom?

I would be in the $100K range, but if all the photog has to do is show up and work with studio, equipment, and a team of support. Not a bad gig and a nice resume builder.

Like CTF said... the photos are their branding.

Me thinks... California should be an oasis of photography talent.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not just contract with a coin photo app. I hear they are very good. Of course I'm deaf in one ear too. Just say'in.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

I read the ad as a managing photographer position. Hopefully a great photographer/manager really needs a job.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    that's the rub , nwcoast. everyone can point and shoot... but professionally and to make it harder coins? I don't think phil can be replaced with 3-5 yrs experience. and I see the in-n-out post... the pay is too low to get someone who will put the true in TV

doesn't everyone here think phil was hired away for more money? that's my assumption.

Yes and no. Having the photography department turned into a mediocre-quality assembly line by orders from above that require large numbers of coins to be imaged cheaply, giving customers about $2 worth of talent per coin would not be the direction I'd want to take were I running it.

This discussion has been closed.