Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS, ANACS small holders, NGC thick slab, ICG, PCI slant 6 green...etc...what do you watch for?

bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
edited March 22, 2024 11:22AM in U.S. Coin Forum

What do you watch for? What's underrated, what's overrated? What piques your interest when you see an older graded or now defunct service's offerings pop up. Do you have a favorite that you look out for? Thought this might make an interesting thread.

Comments

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,779 ✭✭✭✭✭

ACG. ;)

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

Shhhh! Don't tell everybody! ;-)

• Options

Disclaimer: coinbuf is not serious, Do not seek out ACG graded coins!

• Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭✭✭

....or from my collection spreadsheet:

Tim

• Options
    UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 498 ✭✭✭✭✭

@bennybravo said:

Actually, I do seek out ACG slabs, you've just got to know which ones to look out for. ;)

Philippians 4:4-7

• Options

@UpGrayedd said:

@bennybravo said:

Actually, I do seek out ACG slabs, you've just got to know which ones to look out for. ;)

Ok, disclaimer 2. ACG put coins in slabs. Some may have been close to accurate in their arrived upon grades. Blind squirrel finding a nut kinda situation in my opinion. Glad you've found some treasure there though.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

@pointfivezero . Do you look for these because of what is inside the holder or because of the rarity of the holder? Or both? James

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,335 ✭✭✭✭✭

I tend to disregard the holder, usually.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I look for stuff I've never seen before and good coins in 3rd world slabs (sometimes they have them and usually the slabs are shunned by most in the hobby)

• Options

@seatedlib3991 said:
    @pointfivezero . Do you look for these because of what is inside the holder or because of the rarity of the holder? Or both? James

Hi James - call it OCD but I'm trying to collect as many third party holders as I can find. It's been years in the making and most of the coins are substantially over-graded (and over-priced) but that is not an issue for this venture.

Thanks,

Tim

• Options

Old ANACS is an immediate eye draw. They’re not all good for bumps, not even close, but good many are. Sadly, the world has more than caught on and it’s getting harder and harder to cherry pick them.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options

@Jacques_Loungecoque said:
    Old ANACS is an immediate eye draw. They’re not all good for bumps, not even close, but good many are. Sadly, the world has more than caught on and it’s getting harder and harder to cherry pick them.

True story. If there was a #11 on my list, it would be the old blue label ANACS ANA soapbox holder. I just crossed one to PCGS and it upgraded from a 63 to a 64.

Tim

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 24, 2024 7:43AM

Old Anacs, PCGS Rattlers.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    anablepanablep Posts: 5,032 ✭✭✭✭✭

Older ANACS have always had me at hello…

Always looking for attractive rim toned Morgan and Peace dollars in PCGS or (older) ANA/ANACS holders!

"Bongo hurtles along the rain soaked highway of life on underinflated bald retread tires."

~Wayne
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭✭✭

Many years ago I never really cared about the holder. I was grading the coin myself and looking at the price. That was 30 or 40 years ago. I was always finding nice varieties that did not show on the label. I'm sure they have been picked over now unless they are still in old collections.
    The last few months I have been having GC send them to PCGS, CAC and on to auction. Even with all the fees, I did really well. Actually I made a killing on most coins.

Larry

• Options

@ldhair said:
    Many years ago I never really cared about the holder. I was grading the coin myself and looking at the price. That was 30 or 40 years ago. I was always finding nice varieties that did not show on the label. I'm sure they have been picked over now unless they are still in old collections.
    The last few months I have been having GC send them to PCGS, CAC and on to auction. Even with all the fees, I did really well. Actually I made a killing on most coins.

Awesome!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ldhair said:

That's terrific! If I recall correctly, you always chose wonderful examples to buy, which of course helps with the final sales price.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file