Home U.S. Coin Forum

Is this PVC greenish areas around date (should I have PCGS restoration done)?

Comments

• TheGoonies1985TheGoonies1985 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

If so as a seller should I note that in my listing? Or do sellers not do that?

• AlanSkiAlanSki Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like seafoam green toning to me.

@AlanSki said:

Seafoam so you think it was in the ocean?

edited March 15, 2024 12:28PM

@PillarDollarCollector said:

@AlanSki said:

Seafoam so you think it was in the ocean?

Not at all. I use the description seafoam to describe the color. Some people say things like midnight shades of blue and purple, etc.

• RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 970 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date color looks fine. There is a dark green spot over the M - O on the obverse to the left of the date that does have a PVC look. The toning looks natural overall and it is hard to discern with certainty what that spot is. I would let the buyer know that the spot could be PVC but you cannot confim it.

Seafoam green is a light green color does not refer to a recovered coin.

edited March 15, 2024 12:58PM

Would PCGS give the coin an acetone bath and re-holder it for me? Or do they do the areas they think there may be PVC only (with say a q-tip)? I prefer if they did a full bath on it with acetone as to make sure there is no more anywhere on the entire coin.

Would PCGS give the coin an acetone bath and re-holder it for me? Or do they do the areas they think there may be PVC only (with say a q-tip)? I prefer if they did a full bath on it with acetone as to make sure there is no more anywhere on the entire coin.

If you desire an acetone bath, you can do it yourself and save the fees. Just use the pure acetone that you find at hardware stores and not the acetone used in nail polish remover.

@AlanSki said:

If you desire an acetone bath, you can do it yourself and save the fees. Just use the pure acetone that you find at hardware stores and not the acetone used in nail polish remover.

It is because I would like it to still be graded by PCGS afterwards.

@AlanSki said:

You could still send it in raw to them. If it is PVC and you remove it yourself, you may have a better chance of it not being body bagged.

@AlanSki said:

@AlanSki said:

You could still send it in raw to them. If it is PVC and you remove it yourself, you may have a better chance of it not being body bagged.

Agreed thanks.

I broke it out today it is now in acetone will see if it changes anything.

• Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

The blue is toning, the little round green lumps are active corrosion products. They may pop off, otherwise you should conserve it. However, since you are selling it, most will not see the problem. Save your money and leave the restoration to them.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file