Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Massive Pile of Wheaties!!!!!!!

CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 663 ✭✭✭✭

So, last Tuesday I go into a bank that has a coin machine(not an actual coinstar), and as I’m dumping coins, I see four wheats in the reject slot. I always check under the machine as well, and when I did, more wheats. I asked to check the internal trash tray, and there were even more wheats. I ended up with 95 free wheaties and $3.17 in random change. Then I asked if I could buy the cent bags in the machine. The teller says yes, but only after they fill up. Monday comes around and I stop by. They gave me $75 of the $100 that came out of the machine, and there are literally thousands of wheaties in them. Anyone who wants can guess how many wheats there are. The bag is mostly wheats. I’ll update when I’ve gone through some of it.

Free money:

The coins that I bought:

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

Comments

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a fun project in the making. :)

Out of all of the wheat cents you have acquired I predict that you will find 17 coins dated from 1909-1919, 15 coins dated from 1920-1929, 32 coins dated from 1930-1939, 12 1943 steel cents and the rest of the coins dated from 1940-1942 and 1944-1958.

Let me know how close my prediction turns out to be.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 4:16PM

It's unbelievable what heirs throw away in extra cash that they don't see 😳
    Nice scores ch 🙂

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that's the way it's done! When a CRH'er is proactive, good thinks usually happen.

Nice find! 👍

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 851 ✭✭✭✭

@johnny9434 said:
    It's unbelievable what heirs throw away in extra cash that they don't see 😳

the reject bin is probably where all our collections will end up

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the wheaties are worth 3 cents each. Less for the copper memorials. It's not worth the trouble for many of us to deal with this.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to ask the question that I'm sure is on everyone's mind . . .

Are there any duplicates?

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    edited March 12, 2024 7:21PM

@SanctionII said:

Out of all of the wheat cents you have acquired I predict that you will find 17 coins dated from 1909-1919, 15 coins dated from 1920-1929, 32 coins dated from 1930-1939, 12 1943 steel cents and the rest of the coins dated from 1940-1942 and 1944-1958.

I wish, but it seems to be 99% 1950’s. The oldest so far is a single 1936. :disappointed: But, I estimate the total at four to five thousand wheaties, and I did see a 1955-S. No steelies because the machine rejects those. It will be days before I finish sorting and counting it. Thanks for commenting! :)

Post No. 505

• Options
    rte592rte592 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 9:12PM

@OAKSTAR said:
    And that's the way it's done! When a CRH'er is proactive, good thinks usually happen.

Nice find! 👍

Some of that was BAG hunting, does that have its own sub section of CRH... maybe BH wouldn't be BS :D

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 12, 2024 10:28PM

@CRHer700 said:

@SanctionII said:

I wish, but it seems to be 99% 1950’s. The oldest so far is a single 1936. :disappointed: But, I estimate the total at four to five thousand wheaties, and I did see a 1955-S. No steelies because the machine rejects those. It will be days before I finish sorting and counting it. Thanks for commenting! :)

Post No. 505

That's spectacular! And you'll encounter these collection or old cent hoard dumps from time to time checking rolls. The last time I encountered one was at a convenience store where I received three Lincolns from the '10s and '20s. I purchased another item to peer into the register and I saw the cent bin full of old Lincolns. I tried to exchange cents with the clerk, but even though they had worked there for years, they didn't understand any English. It was really frustrating looking at that tray of old Lincolns and realizing I could not get them because of communication failure. But then I realized I was a 50-yo adult freaking out over perhaps a roll or two of old cents worth perhaps $10 and I laughed. I reacted like a 10-yo collector. Nothing changes.

Congrats on the score!

How many 1954-Ps did you get? That was an underrated date in my mind. I liked finding them along with steelies, the 40-D, and S-mint cents.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hope you check the score for any errors.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without doing the math it looks like about 930 of them assuming they were all rolled at the same time and there are no regular rolls mixed in.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad to hear it for you! Have a blast!

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

@CRHer700 said:

@SanctionII said:

Post No. 505

Wow! 4-5k wheaties?! That's quite the haul...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome find! Plus, a lot of banks have done away with the counting machines for customers (or are in process of doing so).

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

@rnkmyer1 said:
    Awesome find! Plus, a lot of banks have done away with the counting machines for customers (or are in process of doing so).

I opened an account at a local bank just because they have a free coin counting machine for members. Saves me hours from having to re-roll. Although i do jam it up every now and then...

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 292 ✭✭✭

Some banks want them rolled, some do not when you return them. I rerolled a bunch of half dollars one time and the bank wouldn't take them. We used the plastic bag that gets sent off for counting with a deposit slip in the bag. I don't mind that method at all, just delays me getting the $$ back into my account.

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• Options
    edited March 13, 2024 7:25AM

@rnkmyer1 said:

I actually prefer to reroll because it saves me the time at the counting machine, and because I always lose money on the inaccurate counters. This particular machine is new and fast, so I like it more than the rest.

Post No. 506

• Options

@Barberian said:

@CRHer700 said:

@SanctionII said:

Post No. 505

That's spectacular! And you'll encounter these collection or old cent hoard dumps from time to time checking rolls. The last time I encountered one was at a convenience store where I received three Lincolns from the '10s and '20s. I purchased another item to peer into the register and I saw the cent bin full of old Lincolns. I tried to exchange cents with the clerk, but even though they had worked there for years, they didn't understand any English. It was really frustrating looking at that tray of old Lincolns and realizing I could not get them because of communication failure. But then I realized I was a 50-yo adult freaking out over perhaps a roll or two of old cents worth perhaps $10 and I laughed. I reacted like a 10-yo collector. Nothing changes.

Congrats on the score!

How many 1954-Ps did you get? That was an underrated date in my mind. I liked finding them along with steelies, the 40-D, and S-mint cents.

I have seen at least one of all of the fifties dates so far, including at least 2 1954-Ps, as well as a 1936, and a few from 1944, 1946, and 1948.

Post No. 507

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

WOW! That's amazing..........

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

This sure was a surprise, I don’t see many proof cents, and this is the oldest by eight years of the ones that I have found. There is some toning on Lincoln’s portrait and in the field behind him that doesn’t show up well in the pics. It was in the bag.

Post No. 510

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Have fun.

• Options

@Elcontador said:
    I think the wheaties are worth 3 cents each. Less for the copper memorials. It's not worth the trouble for many of us to deal with this.

But it's a great find for a coin roll hunter or, say, someone scrounging to build a collection from the ground up. It's like hitting a small pay streak panning for gold. Or hitting a small spill of silver coins metal detecting. Or picking up a pocketful of clad quarters under bleachers MDing. Coin roll hunting can have long dry periods, so it's nice to have finds like this to spur one on.

I like recycling aluminum cans and walk country roads grabbing cans and other trash. It normally pays about $1.50 per hour walking/biking the roadways, more on "trash night." Anyway, every now and then someone stops to chat and asks me if I'd like to take the cans they have back at their house, and it often turns out they have 5-10 thousand cans in bags or bins which equates to a $75-150 score. Those little "bonanzas" keep things interesting and fun, and I meet nice people as well. I'm getting carried away here, but it's always fun to read these CH bonanzas.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Elcontador said:

But it's a great find for a coin roll hunter or, say, someone scrounging to build a collection from the ground up. It's like hitting a small pay streak panning for gold. Or hitting a small spill of silver coins metal detecting. Or picking up a pocketful of clad quarters under bleachers MDing. Coin roll hunting can have long dry periods, so it's nice to have finds like this to spur one on.

I like recycling aluminum cans and walk country roads grabbing cans and other trash. It normally pays about $1.50 per hour walking/biking the roadways, more on "trash night." Anyway, every now and then someone stops to chat and asks me if I'd like to take the cans they have back at their house, and it often turns out they have 5-10 thousand cans in bags or bins which equates to a $75-150 score. Those little "bonanzas" keep things interesting and fun, and I meet nice people as well. I'm getting carried away here, but it's always fun to read these CH bonanzas.

Okay. But if you really want to build a collection, there's a guy who comes to large shows who sometimes has baskets of Large Cents, for $15, $20 and $25 each. You can pick up many G-F Coronet Head and Braided Hair Large Cents this way. Ditto re the outfit that puts out hundreds of coins at their station for $3 each. I've seen Unc. Mercs and Barber Dimes at that table.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options

@Elcontador said:

@Barberian said:

@Elcontador said:

Okay. But if you really want to build a collection, there's a guy who comes to large shows who sometimes has baskets of Large Cents, for $15, $20 and $25 each. You can pick up many G-F Coronet Head and Braided Hair Large Cents this way. Ditto re the outfit that puts out hundreds of coins at their station for $3 each. I've seen Unc. Mercs and Barber Dimes at that table.

I agree. I did that myself back when even Matron heads in G-VG were possible for $5 a piece in the late '80s. I hit junk boxes and red boxes of 2x2s hard looking for bargains back then. I saw the large cents display at FUN and agree that it's a great way to cherry pick coins and start a collection. However, that assumes one has a job, a car, and can get to shows. I did most of my coin roll hunting when I was 10-12 years old and all I had for a ride was a bike.

This score of at least $100 is larger than any of the coin 'scores' I experienced when I was a kid - AU58 1876-S dime, G4 1921 dime, and AU58 BN 1909 Lincoln cent found in a lake, change. and bank roll, respectively. Everything is relative, but this is a nice score for most coin roll hunters.

• Options

Here’s a further update: I finished the bag, and there were 3935 wheaties in it! I don’t have it sorted by date and mint yet, but I put them all back in the bag because I have relatives coming next week.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

No one can say you overpaid for those Lincoln Wheat Cents.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 27, 2024 8:19AM

Got a call from a fellow with 100 pounds of wheat cents. He asked what he could get for them. Told him : "200 pounds of memorial cents". Shoot. I think he is bringing them. :open_mouth:

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    Got a call from a fellow with 100 pounds of wheat cents. He asked what he could get for them. Told him : "200 pounds of memorial cents". Shoot. I think he is bringing them. :open_mouth:

At least you'll have a net reduction of 100 pounds of ballast sitting around.

• Options
    edited March 27, 2024 5:29PM

@TwoSides2aCoin said:

Did he mean 200lbs of wheats, or 200 Troy lbs of wheats; did he want 200lbs of coppers or 200lbs of zincolns? Questions, questions. >:)

• Options
    edited March 29, 2024 3:55PM

So, I finished the bag, so on to the box. Part way through and I find these!

Edit: The IHC is my oldest coin and first IHC so far this year.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    The previous owners were probably heirs who, upon finding the hoard of cents rushed to the bank to dump them.

If the heirs are liquidating the estate unless they’re collectors they probably have better things to do then go through a bunch of pennies. It would not be very cost effective separating the wheats and then trying to sell them for 2-3 cents.

• Options

Finished the box with 1143 wheaties and one IHC. This leaves my total for the $75 as 5078 wheaties and one IHC.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file