Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Big "Coins Only" Thread

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 11, 2024 6:00AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I'll admit - I am absolutely SICK of all of the talk of CACG and grading standards and the like. It seems like it's been a while since we've had a good old fashioned post any coin you like thread, with the exception of the wonderful "post the most beautiful coin" thread that's been up for a bit. There was a day here where that was pretty much the only thread on the front page that was all coins and no debating.

Let's create a thread of just coins and talk relating to them. No grading discussion or the like please!

I got to image a TON of coins this weekend (this is only about 20% of all the coins):

A pair of blazers from the @winesteven collection:

A lovely set of original Walking Liberty half Proofs courtesy of @P0CKETCHANGE :

Some wonderful Washingtons from the @NorCalJack set:

And lastly some wonderful dimes from the @lablover collection:

Post away!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    brianc1959brianc1959 Posts: 342 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really nice photos, BTW!

• Options
    LukeMarshallLukeMarshall Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭

^
    Great Picture @Bullsitter

It's all about what the people want...

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dcarr said:

@FlyingAl said:
    I got to image a TON of coins this weekend (this is only about 20% of all the coins):

Nice doubled die obverse (an under-appreciated variety).

I like the die crack along with the ddo.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Maywood All beautiful coins! In particular, that colorful 1971 Canadian dollar is just fantastic.

• Options

@MFeld said:

Oops, I read the thread title as The "Big Coins Only" thread instead of The Big "Coins Only" Thread ;)

I made the same mistake, but hopefully Al is not too upset about it. When I saw the photo you posted I started thinking:
    A) Does it qualify as an actual coin - meaning "could it be spent as money?"
    B) How do you pick it up without shaving away $Thousands in value since 99.99% gold is pretty soft - visions of a forklift generously padded with red velvet pillows?

• Options

@brianc1959 said:

@MFeld said:

Oops, I read the thread title as The "Big Coins Only" thread instead of The Big "Coins Only" Thread ;)

I made the same mistake, but hopefully Al is not too upset about it. When I saw the photo you posted I started thinking:
    B) How do you pick it up without shaving away $Thousands in value since 99.99% gold is pretty soft - visions of a forklift generously padded with red velvet pillows?

As long as we’re not debating CACG or grading, I’m happy!

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,797 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like the 1913 Buffalo posted by Nic... It captures so much of what has been lost. Look at the die polish and the workmanship present which is why I even choose to collect. Some may look at this and ask why is this significant. And it is in part because it was near the height of the so-called Arts and Crafts movement and the Buffalo Nickel captures the spirit in spades.

Many thanks for sharing.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@brianc1959 said:

@MFeld said:

As long as we’re not debating CACG or grading, I’m happy!

I'm going to have to disappoint you - I just watched this video about the making of that One Tonne Australian coin, and it would clearly have to be given a details grade due to cleaning, polishing, and burnishing (see 0:15 through 0:25 on the video!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7cB-3Gjd0I

• Options
    DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CACs trolls seem to FINALLY be subsiding.....Praise jesus. They always said go big or go home, is this puppy big enough?

RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,270 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great Britain 1963 Trial Reverse silver pattern for the upcoming decimal series

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some real nice coins.

• Options

Shouldn't it be the big 'official' coins only thread? :D . Great mix of coins in here.

That is a fantastic museum quality pattern piece @MFeld . Truly stunning. I see it sold again earlier this year. I'm sure you would have been tempted to purchase it again.

• Options

@TrickleCharge said:
    Shouldn't it be the big 'official' coins only thread? :D . Great mix of coins in here.

That is a fantastic museum quality pattern piece @MFeld . Truly stunning. I see it sold again earlier this year. I'm sure you would have been tempted to purchase it again.

Oh please no more name changes! :lol::lol::lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file