Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Feel like I'm getting punked by PCGS

Sent in a bunch of coins for reholder and trueviews. All of the coins are 1878p Morgans for my registry sets and showcase. I've been building this collection for 15 years and have acquired all but 9 of all known 1878p varieties. (200+ different varieties) I consider myself an expert in 1878's varieties and probably have one of the greatest 1878p sets ever put together. (feel free to look at my signature with sets)

PCGS didn't attribute one of the coins but charged me $10 for the review. The coin they didn't attribute is literally one of the most common 7TF varieties a VAM-30 extra talon.

So I emailed customer service asking why they didn't attribute. They said, sorry not one of the varieties they attribute. I sent a reply saying you have to be kidding and sent them the coin number, screen shot of the variety list, the trueview and said I expect you to fix this as a mechanical error.

They replied oops sorry you're right but that they reviewed my coin and it doesn't match. I almost fell out of my chair. Of course I replied back with screenshots of every marker for a VAM-30, and also 2 of my current VAM-30's with trueviews that match exactly..

I am still waiting for their reply to my last email sent yesterday but starting to get upset at this point.

Comments

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

There are many top graders here and I hope that they reach out to you.
    I would recommend that you try crossing it with another grading service and see what they say.
    Your coins are quite an accomplishment and very impressive.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭

All I can say is … good luck.

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

They did that with my 1809 O-102 XXX edge. Probably just an oversight. The experimental edge is plain as day. Stuff happens.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like you need an advocate, hope someone on these boards would be willing to step up and help you get this rectified.

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

@markinsd said:
    Sent in a bunch of coins for reholder and trueviews. All of the coins are 1878p Morgans for my registry sets and showcase. I've been building this collection for 15 years and have acquired all but 9 of all known 1878p varieties. (200+ different varieties) I consider myself an expert in 1878's varieties and probably have one of the greatest 1878p sets ever put together. (feel free to look at my signature with sets)

PCGS didn't attribute one of the coins but charged me $10 for the review. The coin they didn't attribute is literally one of the most common 7TF varieties a VAM-30 extra talon.

So I emailed customer service asking why they didn't attribute. They said, sorry not one of the varieties they attribute. I sent a reply saying you have to be kidding and sent them the coin number, screen shot of the variety list, the trueview and said I expect you to fix this as a mechanical error.

They replied oops sorry you're right but that they reviewed my coin and it doesn't match. I almost fell out of my chair. Of course I replied back with screenshots of every marker for a VAM-30, and also 2 of my current VAM-30's with trueviews that match exactly..

I am still waiting for their reply to my last email sent yesterday but starting to get upset at this point.

You know the subject matter more than they do, so you just have to be patient and persistent with them.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep. Be persistent but patient. It's likely that you know more about the variety than all but a handful of people in their organization.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BryceM said:
    Yep. Be persistent but patient. It's likely that you know more about the variety than all but a handful of people in their organization.

You think a handful of people at PCGS know more about the variety than @markinsd ? 😉

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I finally gave up after three attempts on some extremely rare varieties of 1866 British threepence coins. But good luck to you!

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@winesteven said:

@BryceM said:

You think a handful of people at PCGS know more about the variety than @markinsd ? 😉

Steve

No, not really, but I was attempting to suggest a logical explanation about why he might be having difficulty. He has to constructively give them a reason to get it in front of the right person.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good luck with that.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    PCGS will reply asking what's a tail feather.
    Good luck with customer service.

All coins are wrong anyway - Bald Eagles have 12 tail feathers - so what difference does seven or eight make?

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    markinsdmarkinsd Posts: 112 ✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@No Headlights said:
    PCGS will reply asking what's a tail feather.
    Good luck with customer service.

All coins are wrong anyway - Bald Eagles have 12 tail feathers - so what difference does seven or eight make?

Guess it only makes a difference for variety collectors. :D

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file