Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Add error type to holder

I am sorry if this is old hat but I have not been able to find out if PCGS recognizes error coins.
I have an 1878-CC Quarter that is in a PCGS holder XF-40. The coin has a lamination error. There is a piece of wire bristle laminated in the obverse in front of Liberty's face Don't have any idea if this is something even worth having added but was curious. James

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    I have an 1878-CC Quarter that is in a PCGS holder XF-40. The coin has a lamination error. There is a piece of wire bristle laminated in the obverse in front of Liberty's face.

That sounds like a retained struck thru, or struck in, error, not a lamination.

They will put it on the label if you pay for that service.

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 818 ✭✭✭✭

If you want it to be recognised, you have to inform them of the error
    and pay a premium to have it on the label.

• Options
    seatedlib3991seatedlib3991 Posts: 524 ✭✭✭✭

Do you know where to find that cost at their site?

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Do you know where to find that cost at their site?

The first link is for the fees.
    The second link is the printable submission forms.
    And the picture at the bottom is a screenshot of the current dowloaded form. Section 6 has the choices and includes the errors (hopefully it fully agrees with the link for fees). Don't forget the handling fee.

https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

https://www.pcgs.com/forms

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    Insider3Insider3 Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    If you want it to be recognised, you have to inform them of the error
    and pay a premium to have it on the label.

Is this true? So if I send in an 1877-CC quarter with an imbedded staple or retained cud they don't put that on the label unless I tell them? I should think they would contact me to send more money. How would they handle a FE cent with the 25C clash that the collector never knew existed? Same thing? Anyone have this happen to them that could answer my question.

• Options

@lilome. thank you for taking the time to post that. Not sure what makes or who decides between the 70 dollar and the 35 dollar version. Interesting to learn about. You could write what i know about error coins on the back of a match book and have room to sign it. James

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    @lilome. thank you for taking the time to post that. Not sure what makes or who decides between the 70 dollar and the 35 dollar version.

The $35 and $70 are determined by the coins value. This is identified as Max Coin Value and for this are $300 and $10,000. This user declared value will also be the insured return shipping value unless one has their own insurance. If you put down a declared value of $300 or less and use the $35 economy tier and pcgs determines after grading that the value is much higher (make up a number $1000.) then they could and sometimes do up-charge you for the higher tier level or $70 (for up to $10,000. value).

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭

James,

Looking at the PCGS COINFACTS for an 1878-CC Quarter in XF40, you may be able to get away with the $35 Economy price. You can see that the actual sales for that coin in the condition that you state are for the most part under $300 except for the most recent sale.

What we don't know is how much more expensive does the error make this coin. See screenshot below.

Hope this helps,
    Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

Yes @divecchia I found that page too but as you say, what difference does any type of error make? I don't know if what I have is a 10 dollar or a 100 dollar difference. I just thought it was a neat difference and might give the coin more distinction. It is a cancel die version too. James

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@seatedlib3991 said:
    Yes @divecchia I found that page too but as you say, what difference does any type of error make? I don't know if what I have is a 10 dollar or a 100 dollar difference. I just thought it was a neat difference and might give the coin more distinction. It is a cancel die version too. James

We don't know, either, since you still haven't posted photos. ;)

• Options

Sorry @JBK but the day you see me post a photo gather your loved ones and hold them dear. The world as you have known it is about to come to an abrupt end. Also, the coin was purchased at Great Collections and I could not see the defect until I had it in hand. It is just a tiny piece of wire. James

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,530 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 7, 2024 10:16AM

Is this the coin in question?

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options

@divecchia. Yes that is it. They must have changed when they did a picture upgrade last fall. Thanks for posting. James

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file