Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

GTG - 1952-D 25c - MS64 FS-101.

FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 7, 2024 4:57PM in U.S. Coin Forum

The box of twenty coins you are grading says mint error and variety services were requested for each coin. Good luck!

Coin Photographer.

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:
    The box of twenty coins you are grading says mint error and variety services were requested for each coin. Good luck!

Unfortunately, I was just fired from my grading job for gross incompetence. I'll be drowning my sorrows.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go 65+

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

65 ddo

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭✭✭

at least a 66.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-65 Large D

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 9:26PM

I would call it MS64, I guess it is a doubled die but I didn't look it up as I am not much of a variety guy.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clean one, with an attractive look. I would grade 65 as there are just enough marks and ticks (especially on the cheekbone, face and neck) for me to want to think otherwise.

DDO is nice, but not dramatic enough to make my socks go up and down. To each their own on that though.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66, chance for MS67

• Options
    dlmtortsdlmtorts Posts: 725 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    AllentramAllentram Posts: 95 ✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 10:44PM

My guess is MS65+

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 65.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,168 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice coin but the hits on Washington’s jaw, one in the hair and significant hit on the eagle’s left leg have me a 64.

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS66 FS-101

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 66 FS - 102 ?

• Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 7,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • Options
    Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 244 ✭✭✭

Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well it does look cleaned or at least dipped. Are you using fluorescent for this image lot of rainbow colored specs in the finite details.

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭

Thats a handsome quarter!

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 535 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options

Drum roll Alex.........................

• Options

@alaura22 said:

No one has gotten close yet.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,337 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

Damn, Oakster on the game! Where is that "Thumb's Up icon" ??

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    KiwiNumiKiwiNumi Posts: 63 ✭✭

MS66+

• Options

PR67

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

UNC details - machine damage fs-101

• Options

Let me put it this way - several here are close to the correct grade. No one has been able to combine the correct grade and variety, so to me no one here is close.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be fair, this is a GTG. While a few have brought it up, there was never a mention of "Guess the Variety."

• Options

@ProofCollection said:
    To be fair, this is a GTG. While a few have brought it up, there was never a mention of "Guess the Variety."

I did mention in the OP that variety services were requested.

If you’re a grader, you have to get both right if variety services are requested.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    edited March 7, 2024 4:53PM

With that said I'll change my guess to
    MS-65 Large D FS-501
    I'm not sure what that V mark is on the eagles left leg is

• Options

This coin is a MS64 DDO FS-101.

Gotta watch those varieties guys.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@ProofCollection said:

If you’re a grader, you have to get both right if variety services are requested.

Does the grader also attribute? I would think attribution is done separately from grading.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@alaura22 said:

I beg to differ. I think @coinbuf got it spot on a half a dozen guesses in. He even called out the DDO (kind of), but not the FS number.

@FlyingAl said:

@ProofCollection said:

I beg to differ again. Not exactly true. Regular graders do not verify Overton #'s on CBH's, this is for sure last I heard. I would imagine the same is true for the FS numbers, some of which are a little obscure IMO.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options

@relicsncoins said:

@FlyingAl said:

@ProofCollection said:

Does the grader also attribute? I would think attribution is done separately from grading.

As I understand it, most graders are expected to be able to identify most varieties. I'm not certain if they'd have to be able to identify exact numbers, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case.

CBHs would be a little different than DDO like this one, since I understand they're also divided into die state.

@pursuitofliberty said:

@FlyingAl said:

@alaura22 said:

I beg to differ. I think @coinbuf got it spot on a half a dozen guesses in. He even called out the DDO (kind of), but not the FS number.

@FlyingAl said:

@ProofCollection said:

I beg to differ again. Not exactly true. Regular graders do not verify Overton #'s on CBH's, this is for sure last I heard. I would imagine the same is true for the FS numbers, some of which are a little obscure IMO.

Todd, I respect your opinion, but I think we'll have to agree to disagree. The goal for this one was to see if the forum could identify accurately which DDO this was, so I was hoping for responses to include some actual attributions. I believe only one correct attribution was made.

My post was made in a goal to let forumites see if they are able to identify varieties like the many grading services are asked to do daily (and to a lot of variety collectors, is vastly more important than the grade itself). It doesn't seem like that goal caught on, which was unfortunate.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect that I may be representative of many collectors when it comes to my interest in varieties.

To a certain extent I like varieties. The major varieties that are readily and easily noticeable and recognizable; and that are well publicized to the general hobby are the ones I have an interest in.

For those varieties that are less well know, that are less easily noticeable and that require the devotion of substantial time and effort to become knowledgeable on (i.e. the 20+ or so varieties of the 1966 SMS DDO half dollar) simply do not draw and keep my attention.

I admire and respect collectors who chose to jump deeply into variety collecting, with a goal of acquiring examples of every know variety of a given coin series; and/or going further and devoting time and effort to look for and find examples of other varieties that have not been previously discovered. The drive, focus and single minded determination shown by such collectors is simply not built into my collecting DNA.

• Options

@SanctionII said:
    The major varieties that are readily and easily noticeable and recognizable; and that are well publicized to the general hobby are the ones I have an interest in.

Which ones are those?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oakstar.

Some major varieties (in the 20th Century coins I collect) include, but are not limited to:

1. the 1964 AH Proof Half,

2. the 1956 Type 1 Proof Half,

3. the 1961 DDR Proof Half (the Big One),

4. the 1955 DDO cent,

5. the 1969 S DDO cent,

6. the 1972 DDO cent,

7. the 1939 DDR nickel,

8. the 1943/2 nickel,

9. the 1945 DDR nickel,

10. the proof cent (1990), proof nickel (1971), proof dimes (1968, 1970, 1975 and 1983) with missing mint marks,

11. the 1916 DDO nickel,

12. the 1918/7 nickel,

13. the 1917 DDO cent,

14. the 1936 DDO cent,

15. the 1958 DDO cent, and

16. the 1942/1 dime.

• Options

@SanctionII -

I agree with your list. Varieties we can see without using a scanning electron microscope!

I have a few on your list. I would add; the 84 DDO cent, 37-D 3 leg Buff, 83 DDR cent, 95 DDO cent, 63 DDR Dime and 82 No P Dime.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file