Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee Meeting Recap (February 2024)

KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 5, 2024 1:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

My name is Kellen Hoard, and I currently serve as one of the Representatives of the General Public on the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee. I am an undergraduate student, and the youngest person to ever serve on the Committee. For those of you unfamiliar with the CCAC, it was established in 2003 by Congress to advise the Secretary of the Treasury on the themes and designs of all US coins and medals. The CCAC serves as an informed, experienced and impartial resource to the Secretary of the Treasury and represents the interests of American citizens and collectors.

Dr. Lawrence Brown (@Casabrown), who recently finished his term as Chair of the CCAC, has been quite good about keeping this forum appraised about its workings. Now that his time on the committee has concluded, I hope to fill that role in part by providing information about what the CCAC is doing at its meetings. I think it is critical that the collecting community have insight into and input to the CCAC, and will try to answer any questions you may have.

Here is my update for the CCAC meeting on February 27, 2024.

1. New member Annelia Purdie, a research and reference librarian, was sworn in as a new member. Her term will run from 2024-2028.

2. Candidate designs for the 2025 American Innovation $1 Coin honoring innovation in Florida were discussed in consultation with the Florida governor's office, and the design below was recommended by the CCAC to the Secretary of the Treasury. The innovation theme was the "Space Shuttle Program."

3. Candidate designs for the 2025 American Innovation $1 Coin honoring innovation in Texas were discussed in consultation with the Texas governor's office, and the design below was recommended by the CCAC to the Secretary of the Treasury. The innovation theme was "Mission Control."

4. As part of the semiquincentennial, and under the authorization of the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act, a number of coins will have one-year design changes in 2026. Due to both financial and manufacturing constraints, it was decided early that the cent and the nickel designs would remain the same, but that there ought to be some notation of the celebration on both coins in that year. Under deliberation by the CCAC were seven different options. The CCAC voted to recommend double-dates on both the cent and nickel, as pictured below.

5. The CCAC also discussed potential future themes for platinum proof coins produced by the Mint. There was no concrete action taken on this subject, but one proposal under consideration by the Mint is a three-year platinum series called "Charters of Freedom," which would honor the Declaration of Independence, Constitution, and Bill of Rights.

6. Finally, the CCAC discussed another 2026 program, "Best of the Mint," which will feature gold coins and silver medals with the designs of the 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1916 Mercury Dime, 1804 Dollar, and 1907 Double Eagle. Those designs were chosen after consultation with a CCAC subcommittee last year and 29,000 survey respondents, who ranked those designs the highest. The CCAC voted to endorse this program.

Let me know if you have any questions about the work done in this meeting; I will try to answer as well as I can, but there are contraints on what I am able to share publicly. Please remember that the CCAC does not make the final decision; instead, it makes its recommendation (alongside the Commission of Fine Arts) to the Secretary of the Treasury. Our next meeting is scheduled for April. If you would like to watch the February meeting in full in order to see all of the deliberations, it is available on Youtube here.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

Comments

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a bit awkward to say it, but given the big accidents with the Space Shuttle in Florida and Texas and the subsequent discontinuance of the program, there might be more positive choices for Innovation.

It think a better choice would be SpaceX where they land and reuse the first stages.

• Options
    hfjacintohfjacinto Posts: 766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 5, 2024 2:32PM

@KellenCoin

These were all released before:

"1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1916 Mercury Dime,"

Why is the mint rehashing designs that were already produced in 2016? I already even have one.

Shouldn't the mint do something else instead of a rehashed 10 year old idea?

• Options
    ExbritExbrit Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing - 100% behind the space program.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I saw the Texas and the shuttle (and innovation) I flash further back to:
    Houston we have a problem.
    Yes, Apollo 13.

When looking it up I find the actual phrases below and that the movie version is above (popular verse).

Now a $1 with Apollo 13 and the 'problem' phrase on it might draw some attention even among non-coin people. Maybe a little innovation getting them home. But probably not what is wanted here. :)

Link to long read about it but with the applicable phrases noted in below paragraph.

Within a few seconds, controllers at several consoles monitoring spacecraft systems began reporting to Flight Director Eugene F. “Gene” Kranz that they were seeing strange data from Apollo 13, including a restart of the main computer, and immediately began troubleshooting the new and unknown problem. Aboard the spacecraft, about 1 to 2 seconds after the bang, the Master Alarm light and the Main Direct Current (DC) B Bus Undervolt light went on, followed by a Fuel Cell light. That prompted Swigert to call Mission Control, “Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.” Capsule communicator (Capcom) astronaut Jack R. Lousma asked, “This is Houston. Say again, please.” Lovell replied, providing some more detail on their condition, “Ah, Houston, we’ve had a problem here. We’ve had a Main B Bus Undervolt.”
    https://www.nasa.gov/history/50-years-ago-houston-weve-had-a-problem/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

It does seem odd to have a 2025 coin with a spaceship retired in 2011 when there are current spaceships flying.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    edited March 5, 2024 3:31PM

@yosclimber said:
    It's a bit awkward to say it, but given the big accidents with the Space Shuttle in Florida and Texas and the subsequent discontinuance of the program, there might be more positive choices for Innovation.

It think a better choice would be SpaceX where they land and reuse the first stages.

The innovation theme for each state's American Innovation dollar is selected by the governor of that state. By the time it gets to the CCAC, the theme has already been decided and multiple design options have been created by the artists on the Mint's staff. If you live in a state which has not yet had its Innovation dollar selected, you are welcome and encouraged to write to your governor's office and suggest an idea. The process is listed on this page: https://www.usmint.gov/learn/coin-and-medal-programs/american-innovation-dollar-coins

• Options

@hfjacinto said:
    @KellenCoin

These were all released before:

"1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1916 Mercury Dime,"

Why is the mint rehashing designs that were already produced in 2016? I already even have one.

Shouldn't the mint do something else instead of a rehashed 10 year old idea?

Good question. As I mentioned in the OP, there was quite a bit of work and market research that went into this on the Mint's end. As part of that effort, a survey was disseminated which received over 29,000 responses; these five designs, including the 1916 pieces, were substantively the most popular selections by respondents. Collectors asked for these three to be reproduced, so they are.

• Options

@lilolme said:
    When I saw the Texas and the shuttle (and innovation) I flash further back to:
    Houston we have a problem.
    Yes, Apollo 13.

When looking it up I find the actual phrases below and that the movie version is above (popular verse).

Now a $1 with Apollo 13 and the 'problem' phrase on it might draw some attention even among non-coin people. Maybe a little innovation getting them home. But probably not what is wanted here. :)

Link to long read about it but with the applicable phrases noted in below paragraph.

Within a few seconds, controllers at several consoles monitoring spacecraft systems began reporting to Flight Director Eugene F. “Gene” Kranz that they were seeing strange data from Apollo 13, including a restart of the main computer, and immediately began troubleshooting the new and unknown problem. Aboard the spacecraft, about 1 to 2 seconds after the bang, the Master Alarm light and the Main Direct Current (DC) B Bus Undervolt light went on, followed by a Fuel Cell light. That prompted Swigert to call Mission Control, “Okay, Houston, we’ve had a problem here.” Capsule communicator (Capcom) astronaut Jack R. Lousma asked, “This is Houston. Say again, please.” Lovell replied, providing some more detail on their condition, “Ah, Houston, we’ve had a problem here. We’ve had a Main B Bus Undervolt.”
    https://www.nasa.gov/history/50-years-ago-houston-weve-had-a-problem/

Hi, lilome,

See my above response to yosclimber on the selection of this particular innovation. However, I will add that the shuttle featured on this design is not in reference to any particular mission.

• Options

@BStrauss3 said:
    It does seem odd to have a 2025 coin with a spaceship retired in 2011 when there are current spaceships flying.

Hi, Burton,

See my above response to yosclimber on the selection of this particular innovation. I will also note that there are other Innovation dollars which feature innovations which have since been largely eclipsed but were instrumental in their time, including the Gerber variable scale (CT), the Reliance yacht (RI), the Higgins Boat (LA), and the Saturn rocket (AL).

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

The classical designs of the 1916 Mercury Dime, 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar and the 1907 Golden Double Eagle do represent the pinnacle of art on our coinage. Starting in 1909 and completing in 1948, we have been stuck with images of dead Presidents (and assorted other dead lesser-knowns on commemorative coinage and quarter dollar issues). That these designs are to be used again is testament to the brilliant artistry of a long gone era they showcase. Were there artists today capable of these classic designs, I would most certainly welcome their work on our coinage and special programs. Sadly, there are none.

Thank you for the update on what this committee has been doing and a bit on how things work in this aspect of the great governmental red tape festival.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 372 ✭✭✭

Kellen! Thanks for sharing the information. Wishing you patience and luck as you attempt to help the mint create better designs (and not compromises) to our coinage.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Really appreciate your insight into this process. Keep doing what you're doing. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

North Carolina and Ohio fight over the first flight on state quarters and license plates; Texas and Florida for the shuttle program on the 2026.

Thank you for the update.

• Options
    goldbuffalogoldbuffalo Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Two space shuttle designs in the same year is lame.

Hope the gold designs are 24k 1oz high relief, otherwise pass.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lincoln cent, Jefferson nickel, double date, 1916 Walking Liberty Half Dollar, 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter, 1916 Mercury Dime, and 1907 Double Eagle have all been commemorated before. Old designs, nothing new. Why not try something new instead of overcollecting the same designs, diluting the market, and making the issues less collectible as a result?

I like the space program idea. Although it is not groundbreaking, they are somewhat fresher than the other designs.

I am biased, but the 1804 dollar and the other classic designs (Flowing Hair, Capped Bust, Liberty Cap) would have my vote. The commemorative Flowing Hair dollar was about to be released but was unfortunately canceled.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

Space shuttle program is long over and now the world has Falcon Heavy.... Let's brag a bit is what I say.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options

@goldbuffalo said:
    Two space shuttle designs in the same year is lame.

Hope the gold designs are 24k 1oz high relief, otherwise pass.

The gold designs are 24k, and will be issued over the course of 2026 in fractional formats, approximating the size of the original coins. This includes 1 oz, 1/2 oz, 1/4 oz, and 1/10 oz.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Too bad the $20 Liberty didn't make the cut.

Curious to see what the proposed designs for the 2025 Liberty high relief will be. Hopefully we'll hear something by the summer.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 852 ✭✭✭✭

it's kinda weird that a public member of the committee solicits advice from the collecting public here, who points out the obvious insanity of putting the space shuttle on coins in 2026, then essentially says 'no the design is set in place here's how it's going to be' - seems like that's not using the membership platform to advance the interest of the public to avoid a high profile gaff that seems to be the result of a long bureaucratic design process

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 6, 2024 6:47AM

So the rich folk get beautiful classic designs, and we get double-dated pennies, ugh.
    These decisions suck, Kellen, I know you are messenger, doing the job. Nothing toward you. So please, coldcock the committee for me. They listen poorly and won’t hear you coming. You’ll feel better.
    Is there evidence that the public wants double-dated nickels, as well as pennies?
    Don’t waste your time on me, the committee doesn’t want you to do that.
    Thanks for you work. Send good news when you can. Tell casabrown that Gomer says, hey.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tcollects said:
    it's kinda weird that a public member of the committee solicits advice from the collecting public here, who points out the obvious insanity of putting the space shuttle on coins in 2026, then essentially says 'no the design is set in place here's how it's going to be' - seems like that's not using the membership platform to advance the interest of the public to avoid a high profile gaff that seems to be the result of a long bureaucratic design process

Difference between a recap (of a meeting that had already taken place) and input prior to the meeting when the designs were published? Just spit-balling here, you understand, but ...

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file