Home U.S. Coin Forum

1921-D WLH on Ebay - FAKE

Obvious counterfeit, with 25 bids at $ 365.00. could hammer at 10X this amount.

The lettering is all wrong, The mint mark is much too big, too thick, and way below where it should be.

Then there's the date : The first "1" is too lowand has a base (no base on a genuine 21-D) , the "9" is the wrong shape and wraps around, touching in right part of the number, the "2" is too tall, and the second "1" is too low and also has a base. The coin has an overall fuzzy appearance.

Unsure how to report it.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=126356384145

Steve

Comments

  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thought this was interesting! 😱

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @stevefromne said:
    Obvious counterfeit, with 25 bids at $ 365.00. could hammer at 10X this amount.

    The lettering is all wrong, The mint mark is much too big, too thick, and way below where it should be.

    Then there's the date : The first "1" is too lowand has a base (no base on a genuine 21-D) , the "9" is the wrong shape and wraps around, touching in right part of the number, the "2" is too tall, and the second "1" is too low and also has a base. The coin has an overall fuzzy appearance.

    Unsure how to report it.

    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=126356384145

    Steve

    I reported this. If you look about halfway down the page on the right side there is a link/button that says "report this item". You will be able to give the reasons once you click.

  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2024 9:17PM
  • OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

  • pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Reported


    “We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

    Todd - BHNC #242
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

    You may also send a message to the seller.
    In looking through their offerings and past dealings I think it is more than likely he simply is unaware.
    Sometimes a note letting him know why you are suspicious (or even a link to this thread) is enough
    to get the item removed and taken down. Not my eBay yet by the seller himself.
    Worth a shot.
    (And yes, I also wrote him...)

    peacockcoins

  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

    113,000+ feedback so hardly an amateur.

  • Davidk7Davidk7 Posts: 232 ✭✭✭

    I've messaged them about counterfeits that they have had in auctions and they said they'd look into it, and never took down the auctions and let them get sold.

    Collector of Capped Bust Halves, SLQ's, Commems, and random cool stuff! @davidv_numismatics on Instagram

  • davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @OAKSTAR said:
    Thought this was interesting! 😱

    box end and missing chunk of ray below the L

    that seller is a stamp specialist, but still push a bunch of coins

  • stevefromnestevefromne Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

    It's gone.

  • 124Spider124Spider Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 3, 2024 6:59PM

    I reported it (bidding had topped $2,000), and got a response from eBay thanking me for reporting it, and saying it had been removed.

  • burfle23burfle23 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭✭✭

    It was removed; coin appears to match one NGC wrote about previously.

  • HallcoHallco Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @124Spider said:
    I reported it (bidding had topped $2,000), and got a response from eBay thanking me for reporting it, and saying it had been removed.

    Glad it's gone. After I reported, they replied and stated "AI determined that there was nothing in the item that was deemed to go against Ebay policy". :#

  • 124Spider124Spider Posts: 843 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 4, 2024 9:13AM

    @Hallco said:

    @124Spider said:
    I reported it (bidding had topped $2,000), and got a response from eBay thanking me for reporting it, and saying it had been removed.

    Glad it's gone. After I reported, they replied and stated "AI determined that there was nothing in the item that was deemed to go against Ebay policy". :#

    That's usually what I get when I report a fraudulent seller to Facebook (often selling American Silver Eagles or Morgan dollars at a fraction of melt value). Their AI isn't very intelligent, probably relying solely on the number of reports they get for an item; perhaps my report to eBay put it over the magic number.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file