Home U.S. Coin Forum

1998 quarter offer—clipped planchet—edit: photos n hand

FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 9, 2024 7:51AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I don’t know.
If prices remains low, and it’s not a concoction, I may bid, or you may go for it if you buy errors. Thanks for your observations.

Comments

  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 788 ✭✭✭✭

    I would have to say that it is genuine.

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Looks to be genuine. Price should remain low because its a small clip. I would think its around a 20 to 25 dollar coin, but I could be wrong.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thank you, gentlemen. I don’t see raw clipped coins at hand. I thought that the sliced end would not have that small ragged edge, nor that the edge showing the Blaksley effect would look scratched.

  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am suspicious also.
    Things Fraz noted and the rim going into the clip looks almost damage and not smooth and/or fading into. Is Blakesley slightly misaligned?
    Below are crop enlargements and the error ref .com picture. Then links for analysis points which a couple can't be determined from photo.




    .

    https://www.error-ref.com/_curved_clips/
    https://www.error-ref.com/blanking-and-cutting-errors/

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Nice genuine clip

    Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2, 2024 7:55AM

    Thanks, guys, it surpassed my max bid, I do not think that I will own it.

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

    OK error.

    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Whew.

  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

    cool, something to hang on, i like

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz what is the bid at for this?

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz said:
    Thanks, guys, it surpassed my max bid, I do not think that I will own it.

    $7.27 surpassed your max bid?!

    Big spender, you are. :D 🤑

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @JBK

    $7.27 surpassed your max bid?!

    Big spender, you are. :D 🤑

    Damn right. Tell us about it when you have it in hand.

  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz said:

    @JBK

    $7.27 surpassed your max bid?!

    Big spender, you are. :D 🤑

    Damn right. Tell us about it when you have it in hand.

    I threw a bid in for the heck of it but I dropped out at a little over $8. I just wanted a taste of how the other half lives. :D

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Take a shower.

  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    That is one of the reasons I don't have/do any errors - even the good ones can look suspicious to me. :)

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I’ll find them but I don’t buy them. I also stay away from offers that end on a weekend evening.

  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Someone could use it for their "clock of clips". 11AM this one is.

    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you want the "P" mint to match the above offered "D" mint, here it is offered for you:


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225824660004

    peacockcoins

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @lilolme said:
    That is one of the reasons I don't have/do any errors - even the good ones can look suspicious to me. :)

    You could buy errors that are certified by one of the top 3 TPG's.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @gumby1234 said:

    @lilolme said:
    That is one of the reasons I don't have/do any errors - even the good ones can look suspicious to me. :)

    You could buy errors that are certified by one of the top 3 TPG's.

    .
    Sure. While my statement is mostly true, I was also having some fun with my incorrect suspicion and thus the smiley.

    I stated 'one of the reasons...' and another one of the reasons is that I just don't seem to have the interest in them. I recall several plus years ago at a local show there was a pair of nickels (in two slabs) that were a matching pair. As I recall they were from overlapped planchets when struck and the two matching nickels. Now after seeing the chain strike I start thinking was it just a matching edge? But I still think it was overlapping. But in the end didn't have the interest to buy. This is one I probably should have purchased since I still recall them. Or more accurately stated, sort of recall... :)

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:
    If you want the "P" mint to match the above offered "D" mint, here it is offered for you:


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225824660004

    I want the O-Mint one.

    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The architect of the original Trade Towers said he made “boring” interesting by doubling the boring. I did the same to my house when I remodeled.
    Now I like it (them).

  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

    If you really want to splurge, go with this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/156078809017

    :neutral:

    peacockcoins

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 483 ✭✭✭

    @CaptHenway said:

    @braddick said:
    If you want the "P" mint to match the above offered "D" mint, here it is offered for you:


    https://www.ebay.com/itm/225824660004

    I want the O-Mint one.

    Total amateur here. It looks to be in several of the coins that opposite of the missing piece that they were held in a a vice or type clamp that did damage . Looks like obvious damage.

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pdoidoi said:

    Total amateur here. It looks to be in several of the coins that opposite of the missing piece that they were > held in a a vice or type clamp that did damage . Looks like obvious damage.

    Gee, thanks for posting that after I bought it.

  • seanqseanq Posts: 8,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I believe it's good, please post pics of the reverse when you have it in hand.

    Sean Reynolds

    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

    "Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @braddick said:
    If you really want to splurge, go with this one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/156078809017

    Godawmighty.

  • pdoidoipdoidoi Posts: 483 ✭✭✭

    @Fraz said:

    @pdoidoi said:

    Total amateur here. It looks to be in several of the coins that opposite of the missing piece that they were > held in a a vice or type clamp that did damage . Looks like obvious damage.

    Gee, thanks for posting that after I bought it.

    Just a thought guess from a rookie who knows very very little on coins. If the pros here say it's good then I would think it must be good.

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The OP coin is obviously genuine.

    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I bought both quarters. No need to go behind me to see what I paid: about $51.00 for both, since I made it public anyway.
    Dang Braddock posted that matching P. He asked if I would submit and suggested a double holder.
    Thanks, you guys.

  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Fraz are these your first error coins or do you have others? I think its a great area of coins to collect. Anybody can have a normal coin that looks exactly like every other coin. I have collected error coins for close to 40 years now. Clips, missing clad layers and rotated dies mostly. I sold my 11 cent piece and my Jefferson nickel struck on a cent planchet.

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yes, these are the first that I purchased. I have nothing out of the ordinary as far as errors that can be seen with the eye. I have hundreds of sorted rolls that I have not studied other than date/mint mark. I do not know enough about varieties to study them; I found myself going through the same coins when I learned something new about a type.
    I’m try to find a die pair of speared eagle quarters (clad era) from 1998 and the 1983 spitter. I look for those in EF or better. I’m not going do much better than face value when it comes to marketing my collection because that is what I paid for them.
    Thanks for asking.

  • ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @pdoidoi said:

    @Fraz said:

    @pdoidoi said:

    Total amateur here. It looks to be in several of the coins that opposite of the missing piece that they were > held in a a vice or type clamp that did damage . Looks like obvious damage.

    Gee, thanks for posting that after I bought it.

    Just a thought guess from a rookie who knows very very little on coins. If the pros here say it's good then I would think it must be good.

    The weakness you are seeing across from the clip is what people are referring to as the Blakesly effect. When the blank goes through the rim upsetting process to become a planchet, there is no opposing force due to the out-of-round shape so the rim is not properly formed in the area across from the clip.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCI16hXpRQk#:~:text=The%20upsetting%20mill%20raises%20rims,lower%20than%20the%20coin's%20rim.
    At 0:20 there is a good animation showing the process.

    Collector, occasional seller

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 7:56AM

    Thanks for your help and encouragement. I procrastinate, but I will submit as a pair when I feel like form-filling. That matte proof buffalo thread clutches at my billfold, as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file