Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Well, This Has Never Happen Before, To Me...

labloverlablover Posts: 3,606 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 28, 2024 4:32PM in U.S. Coin Forum

So, I had four coins left to submit on an eight-coin voucher. I scratched up four Washington Quarter Proofs I've had in an album for 15+ years. They were 1952, 1955, 1959 and a 1962 proof. Each with some terrific colorful toning. All was going well with a pretty good turnaround. Grades got posted last night with the TrueView Images. I'd post the images, but they're so bad I'm embarrassed to show them.

However, the coin on Line #4 of the submission, a 1962 Washington Quarter Proof, with the correct sequential cert. number is the following:

Contacted PCGS early this morning and then received an email stating the submission has shipped. Hope I get the 1962 Quarter!

How does this get through the Holder Check, Quality Control?

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Comments

• Options
    edited February 28, 2024 4:42PM

@davewesen said:
    this one looks nice - the others with purple almost look black

Oh please, don't show the others. Guess I should not have mentioned sequential numbers. Dang, you guys are smart!

Still not even close to what the coin looks like.

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,193 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, come on!
    We want to see them in all their glory.
    Don't be shy.

peacockcoins

• Options
    ToreyTorey Posts: 135 ✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 6:25PM

I have had a similar scenario. They accidentally tied the wrong image to my cert number, a quick call, and a few days later it was fixed.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover said:
    So, I had four coins left to submit on an eight-coin voucher. I scratched up four Washington Quarter Proofs I've had in an album for 15+ years. They were 1952, 1955, 1959 and a 1962 proof. Each with some terrific colorful toning. All was going well with a pretty good turnaround. Grades got posted last night with the TrueView Images. I'd post the images, but they're so bad I'm embarrassed to show them.

However, the coin on Line #4 of the submission, a 1962 Washington Quarter Proof, with the correct sequential cert. number is the following:

Contacted PCGS early this morning and then received an email stating the submission has shipped. Hope I get the 1962 Quarter!

How does this get through the Holder Check, Quality Control?

How bad are things going to have to get before something is done to resolve the problems that they are having, pretty sad to see this going on.
    Hope you get the correct coin back, but it seems that you would have to send it back to get the TV corrected
    What a hassel...........
    Good Luck

• Options

@braddick said:
    Ah, dang.
    I just check on the 1952 and the 1955.
    Yes- I don't blame you for not wanting the share those attrosious photos!
    Please disregard the above request and accept my sincerest of apologies.

LOL

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭✭✭

I hope they figure out how to photograph color on proof coins. Phil got really good at it, trained his main replacement who ended up leaving before him.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 28, 2024 5:35PM

Email photography@collectors.com with an email title wrong TV or something to identify.
    Zu usually answers fairly quickly. Sometimes she forwards the problem to another group but if it is an attachment problem, then that is usually something the photography group controls and is fixed fairly quickly in my experience.

EDIT - If you email, then you might ask if there are any other TV for those other two.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,117 ✭✭✭✭✭

The people are overworked, and I hope the company is able to get the problems resolved. There are likely to be a lot of Trueview submissions once imaging gets better.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry Lablover, I had to look. I'd be pissed

• Options

@Tom147 said:
    Sorry Lablover, I had to look. I'd be pissed

It's disappointing for sure, but hopefully they will get it all corrected.

• Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover: I am sorry for your pain. But looking at the pictures I can immediately see why your pain is justified.

Mark

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lablover

I truly am sorry for how those TVs turned out for you. Hopefully PCGS will make you whole.

Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    @lablover

I truly am sorry for how those TVs turned out for you. Hopefully PCGS will make you whole.

I'm sure PCGS will right the ship. There's always some disruption when change occurs, and Phil had lots of talent and experience. Like you and others know it takes some time to gain the skill to image.

• Options

I just heard from PCGS. They apologized for the error; apparently the correct coin was not imaged, and they have provided return label to image, etc.

Thanks PCGS!!!!

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lack of TV's might be a good thing on some coins right now....

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    WiscKauWiscKau Posts: 88 ✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 12:58PM

Look's like Phil can't be replaced.

Jerry Maguire: " Show me the money,"

GC did.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,675 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugh. That's even a terrible photo of an ASE - The reverse is so dark!

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,795 ✭✭✭

@lablover said:

@FlyingAl said:
    @lablover

I'm sure PCGS will right the ship. There's always some disruption when change occurs, and Phil had lots of talent and experience. Like you and others know it takes some time to gain the skill to image.

I also believe that PCGS will get this all sorted out. I just hope it doesn't take too long to correct the problem. I always liked having the TV images of my coins in my sets. But not what has been coming out lately. I'm gonna give the photo department a little room as I do know how hard imaging coins can be. But when you pay extra for the service you expect a little better product for that cost. Time to step it up PCGS.

• Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 225 ✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 1:57PM

I recently submitted two high end proofs, a 1950 and a 1951 from original proof sets. They both appeared to be deep cameos and to the naked eye are both are absolutely gorgeous coins. The True Views of both coins are sickening and look like they have been put through the wash with nails. Gotta say I am not impressed. The 50 came back a PF64CA and the 51 a PF64. I added the photos I took before I submitted them…..

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,922 ✭✭✭✭✭

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been very critical (and rightfully so) of TVs over the last several months but, to be fair, I just got some back two weeks ago and they were very accurate pictures.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was lucky enough to be able to image these coins this weekend.

The coins are darker, but the TrueViews seemed to lack depth. PCGS is doing better, but there's still a ways to go.

Here are my images. I did one with standard lighting and one that shows the mirrors. Since I am shooting through the plastic, the images without standard lighting oftentimes have a little bit of glare off the plastic.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent shots @FlyingAl —I love how they look in the “standard lighting”, although I assume some would prefer the mirror-focused lighting which really brightens up and brings out the purples. I hope @lablover is pleased.

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Excellent shots @FlyingAl —I love how they look in the “standard lighting”, although I assume some would prefer the mirror-focused lighting which really brightens up and brings out the purples. I hope @lablover is pleased.

Yep, Lablover pleased, very pleased. Thanks to FlyingAl!!!!

Highly recommend his imaging...

• Options

Those TVs are indeed, ruff!!!
    Sorry, brother. Yikes.

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    rnkmyer1rnkmyer1 Posts: 525 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread reminded me of one of the worst True Views of any of my coins. But, to my surprise…
    Before:

After:

Unknown to me, it’s much improved & looks like the actual coin!

“The thrill of the hunt never gets old”

PCGS Registry: Screaming Eagles
    Copperindian

Retired sets: Soaring Eagles
    Copperindian

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those two pics aren't the same coin? I can't match up any of the spots, on either side..

• Options

I believe you’re correct. I’m finding out this happens (mixed up truviews) more often than I realized. I don’t know when they corrected it but I just found out yesterday when I went to retrieve the “bad” one.

Copperindian

Copperindian

• Options

Here’s the coin that matches up with the correct truview:

Copperindian