Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG 1879-S DMPL Morgan -- REVEALED

ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 29, 2024 3:42PM in U.S. Coin Forum

--Revealed in comments below--

I just picked up this coin in an OGH. I'm debating whether it's got a shot at upgrade. I think it just might but I'd like to see some of the guesses before I send it in for regrade. It is graded DMPL and the mirrors are solid even if the pictures don't show it. I'm really just looking for the numerical grade.
I think Liberty is remarkably free of frost disturbance marks. Except for the field directly in front of her face, the field is remarkably pristine on both side.

Comments

  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Bonus question: Would you restore it to get rid of the brown/black toning on the eagle and liberty and obv just pass 12:00?

  • jp84jp84 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭

    64 and I would not restore it, I dont think it would help the grade.

  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jp84 said:
    64 and I would not restore it, I dont think it would help the grade.

    To be clear, the restoration would be to improve visual appeal of the coin and potentially resale value. I do not believe the toning affects the grade but when you view the coin at a distance, the dark marks really stand out.

  • mattnissmattniss Posts: 578 ✭✭✭✭

    If it's in a 64 holder, I'd say it has a 50/50 chance of going 65 on a regrade (trusting your feedback on the mirrors, that is).

  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65

  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭✭✭

    At least 65; very unique pristine appearance of portrait. I doubt removing minor toning would have any effect on grade.

  • alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    65 and I would not restore it,

  • CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭

    63

    Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

  • relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I think it's in a 64 holder. Might get a 64+ on a resubmit.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • jerseybenjerseyben Posts: 114 ✭✭✭

    65

  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

    63pl

    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • JJMJJM Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

    63

    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37
  • MartinMartin Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Caution. You may loose the DMPL. I believe the standard has changed since the OG label.

    Just my thoughts
    Martin

  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 8:54AM

    @Martin said:
    Caution. You may loose the DMPL. I believe the standard has changed since the OG label.

    Just my thoughts
    Martin

    You can't "go backwards" on a regrade.
    Evidently no one trusts my assessment of the mirrors. I have the #3 ranked Morgan DMPL set. Trust me, the mirrors are fine. My photography is not.

  • MartinMartin Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection you are correct. I missed the regrade part of your post

    I won’t throw a grade guess cuz I’m usually wrong

    Good luck
    Martin

  • spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

    64... What's the risk of conservation? A small fee if they don't think they can improve it and a little more time out of your hands? Seems relatively low risk to me. Although, I have seen a couple posts here where the before was preferable over the after... So there's that risk. Perhaps an in hand shot will help a little?

    As for an upgrade, it could have a shot at a plus or a 5? It does look overall pretty clean. To be frank I wouldn't be shocked if it was already in a 5 holder tho.

  • coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The cheek is really clean, but I would cap the grade at 64 due to the black spots and the chatter in front of the face.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @ProofCollection said:
    Bonus question: Would you restore it to get rid of the brown/black toning on the eagle and liberty and obv just pass 12:00?

    @ProofCollection said:
    To be clear, the restoration would be to improve visual appeal of the coin and potentially resale value. I do not believe the toning affects the grade but when you view the coin at a distance, the dark marks really stand out.

    First on those obverse marks at 9 o/c field. I have a DMPL with a very similar group of marks (but on the reverse). They are fairly shallow and on a normal MS coin I believe they would just be frost breaks. But on a DMPL there is no frost to break in the fields but rather just scuff up the fields and see them much easier. Not sure how that would play into the grading (light marks that show up more easily vs actual heavier marks).

    On the 'toning' I would not consider the coin for me. My eyes go right to it. However, there are many others that it would not bother and might prefer the OGH. I don't know about value of one versus the other. When I look at it, I don't consider it 'toning' but I easily could be wrong. On the eagle when I think I see a dark spot in the middle and the brownish color around it, I think something got on the coin and caused this. Then I start looking for more (is there some on tip of feathers lower right and talons?). If one were to restore it, then I would write on the form to lighten (not remove) the coloration as I would want a minimum done to it to improve the visual qualities that you mention. Also if it is something on the coin versus normal toning, then it might come off without using an acidic dip (acetone, MS70...) and not impact the originality of the remaining coin. That is an IF...

    https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

  • ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 29, 2024 3:42PM

    ----REVEAL---

    The existing holder is MS64DMPL. There are enough positive comments here to align with my opinion that this coin has a reasonable chance at a + or 65.

    @lilolme said:
    On the 'toning' I would not consider the coin for me. My eyes go right to it. However, there are many others that it would not bother and might prefer the OGH. I don't know about value of one versus the other. When I look at it, I don't consider it 'toning' but I easily could be wrong. On the eagle when I think I see a dark spot in the middle and the brownish color around it, I think something got on the coin and caused this. Then I start looking for more (is there some on tip of feathers lower right and talons?). If one were to restore it, then I would write on the form to lighten (not remove) the coloration as I would want a minimum done to it to improve the visual qualities that you mention. Also if it is something on the coin versus normal toning, then it might come off without using an acidic dip (acetone, MS70...) and not impact the originality of the remaining coin. That is an IF...

    This is why I think I probably should see if PCGS can restore it. I don't know their methodology but I trust that they know what can be done and the best way to do it. And if they can't do anything, they won't touch it. It's a $10 gamble if I'm already sending it in for a regrade. Of course, that also means I lose the option of a reconsideration which would keep it in the old holder should it not be worthy of upgrade. I'd much rather have a 64+ or a 65 than OGH plastic. The toning doesn't bother me enough to prevent me from buying it (obviously) but I do wish it wasn't there. If something like this turns off one collector, it will turn off more and result in lower resale potential so the $10 resto is probably worth it. I will send it in in the next few weeks and post the results here.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file