Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CCAC Meeting 2026 penny and nickel

WALLEWALLE Posts: 234 ✭✭✭✭

The mint website has images for the 2026 penny and nickel for the Semiquincentennial circulating coin program. Sorry could not get them copied to include here.

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 27, 2024 10:24AM

They sure love that "6" on the cent. It's both taller and lower than the rest of the date.

Special Lincoln cents bother me only because zinc is such a terrible canvas. Maybe the proof versions will be bronze.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CCAC has jumped the shark.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not good.

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options

@Manifest_Destiny said:
    It's going to be duel dates and privy marks? Lame.

I agree 100%, but given what I’m afraid the mint’s current “leadership” really wants to do…..

Having fun while switching things up and focusing on a next level PCGS slabbed 1950+ type set, while still looking for great examples for the 7070.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why not use copper or bronze, which would improve the life of the strike.

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,230 ✭✭✭✭✭

i'm in for dual date no crappy privy

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

Minimum effort. I was really hoping for some special reverses.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WALLE said:
    The mint website has images for the 2026 penny and nickel for the Semiquincentennial circulating coin program. Sorry could not get them copied to include here.

Man, I finally got all the classic commemoratives down, now they want me to figure out how to pronounce "semiquincentennial"?!?!?

25 years from then will mean RIP for my tongue as it will be the Bicenterquasquigenary (275th).

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Um... just pointing out that it's the MINT that prepared the designs, CCAC is being asked to make recommendations for the Secretary of the Treasury to make the ultimate decision.

You have the shark and the jumper backwards

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options

eBay listing "1776 SPECIAL PENNY PREDATES LINCOLN BIRTH"

-----Burton
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    eBay listing "1776 SPECIAL PENNY PREDATES LINCOLN BIRTH"

I had the same exact thought. :# I can already see the flood of questions on forums like these about the special change finds.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:

@Manifest_Destiny said:

Um... just pointing out that it's the MINT that prepared the designs, CCAC is being asked to make recommendations for the Secretary of the Treasury to make the ultimate decision.

You have the shark and the jumper backwards

I get your point. My point is CCAC isn't an advocate of anything that collectors generally want. What they should do is tell the Mint that all of these are garbage and not recommend any of the designs. Check out the semisesquicentennial thread and CCAC's advocacy for "interpretive" designs. We should probably consider ourselves lucky if we just get duel dated garbage.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any one know about the reverse design yet?

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭✭

The CCAC brings no value to the equation, inspired artistry in our coinage came to an end in 1947. It will never return.

• Options
    CascadeChrisCascadeChris Posts: 2,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

How... uninspiring

The more you VAM..
  • Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's what I like about this place.

There's always something new reported that I wasn't aware of.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

I like the design with the double date and bell privy. I'm gonna be disappointed if there's no new reverse design. I do know that changes to coin designs have to be pre approved by congress, so I suppose we'll have to wait and see.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@KellenCoin

This is the opportunity to change the dime. It has been the same obverse since 1946! 80 years is long enough, and I am a Roosie collector! Maybe a 1 year circulating change to coincide with the celebration and a new obverse going forward?

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    @KellenCoin

This is the opportunity to change the dime. It has been the same obverse since 1946! 80 years is long enough, and I am a Roosie collector! Maybe a 1 year circulating change to coincide with the celebration and a new obverse going forward?

I honestly don't know what the proposals will be for the dime yet, but I shall keep this forum appraised once it enters into the public record! However, if there is a change it will be a one-year type as authorized in the Circulating Collectible Coin Redesign Act rather than a completely new type going forward.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is the mint going to play the change game with the reverse? Also, how many different issues for each year?

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    KellenCoinKellenCoin Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭✭

@JWP said:
    Is the mint going to play the change game with the reverse? Also, how many different issues for each year?

I'm not sure yet on the reverses. And these will be one-year types.

YN Member of the ANA, ANS, NBS, EAC, C4, MCA, PNNA, CSNS, ILNA, TEC, and more!
    Always buying numismatic literature and sample slabs.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others mentioned, not very inspiring. And I still think the Jefferson obverse is horrible - just stick with the original if we have to have the Jeffnick in perpetuity (which we should not, we
    should bring back the Buffalo Nickel for real, on a nickel).

• Options

Gang if you want to use and abuse Kellen's position, just wait until the post 2026 quarter designs "emblematic of youth sports" start to hit...

Basketball
    Baseball
    Softball
    Soccer
    Football
    Stick ball (for us NYC kids)
    Hand ball

Madden
    Halo
    Minecraft

-----Burton
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭✭✭

Our mint designs are so dreadful. Let Lincoln look forward, as to the future. Let Jefferson look to the left to represent looking at where we have been and not forgetting our errors, but correcting them. C'mon, I couldn't design a pencil, much less a coin. But our designers or their keepers are pathetic. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    CRHer700CRHer700 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    Gang if you want to use and abuse Kellen's position, just wait until the post 2026 quarter designs "emblematic of youth sports" start to hit...

Basketball
    Baseball
    Softball
    Soccer
    Football
    Stick ball (for us NYC kids)
    Hand ball

Madden
    Halo
    Minecraft

Aren't they going to do disabled sports on our halves after 2026? How horrible our ideas are. Like who wants to have a half with wheelchair basketball on it? Come on people, at least go back to the old, pre-portrait, designs? That was what I was hoping for. Also, why do we have to have Lincoln on the cent, I mean, he's served his hundred and fifteen years now, why can't congress make a law that liberty must be on all of our coins? I wish that they would actually listen to their employers and deliver us some satisfactory coins, and raise the relief on them like the old issues.

Cheers, and God Bless, CRHer700 :mrgreen:

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 698 ✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:
    Like others mentioned, not very inspiring. And I still think the Jefferson obverse is horrible - just stick with the original if we have to have the Jeffnick in perpetuity (which we should not, we
    should bring back the Buffalo Nickel for real, on a nickel).

There should be a special numismatic version with Schlag's original design. Also for silver proof they could've brought back the silver war composition back when they started silver proof sets in the 90s as a WWII 50th anniversary special.

• Options

There are many things the Mint COULD do if Congress would allow it. There are some things that the Mint can do within current law.

But the sad sad reality is any change will set off some nuclear idiocy on some side of the aisle or the other.

The other truth is that numismatic products are a small fraction of the mint's activities.

https://www.usmint.gov/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2024/01/2023-Annual-Report.pdf

Bullion leads revenue at 69.8%, Circulating coins at 20.4%, and Numismatic items at 9.8%.

Within Bullion, sales of Gold (AGE+ABG) total just over 2.7 billion dollars, ASE are $548 million. Numismatic products are closer, Gold&Platinum total $212.6 million while silver is $173.4 million.

If you dig further, the mint is measured not by any kind of consumer satisfaction, but rather how cheaply they can make the coins the Federal Reserve orders.

EARNED REVENUES AND OTHER FINANCING SOURCES (SEIGNIORAGE)
    Numismatic Sales: Revenue from numismatic sales to the public is recognized when products are shipped to customers. Prices for most numismatic products are based on the product cost plus a reasonable net margin. Bullion coins are priced based on the market price of the precious metals plus a premium to cover manufacturing, marketing, and distribution costs.

Nothing here, no intention to make a profit. Manufacturing includes prepare the dies and wear/tear on equipment.

Numismatic Sales of Circulating Coins: Specially packaged products containing circulating coins are sold directly to the public rather than to the FRB. These products are treated as a circulating and numismatic hybrid product. Revenue is recognized when products are shipped to customers. > Circulating Sales: The PEF provides for the sale of circulating coinage at face value to the FRBs. Revenue from the sale of circulating coins is recognized when the product is shipped to the FRBs. Revenue from the sale of circulating coins to the FRBs and numismatic sales of circulating coins to the public is limited to the recovery of the cost of manufacturing and distributing those coins. Seigniorage is a financing source and not considered as revenue.

Again, no intention to make a profit.

Other Financing Sources (Seigniorage): Seigniorage equals the face value of newly minted coins, less the cost of production (which includes the cost of metal, manufacturing, and transportation).
    Seigniorage adds to the government’s cash balance, but unlike the payment of taxes or other receipts, it does not involve a transfer of financial assets from the public. Instead, it arises from the exercise of the government’s sovereign power to create money and the public’s desire to hold financial assets in the form of coins. Therefore, the President’s budget excludes seigniorage from receipts and treats it as a means of financing.

If you are selling at cost, there's no incentive to sell more. If people remove coins from circulation, the Fed just orders more next year, and the seigniorage is more general funding.

-----Burton
  • Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t forget to drink your Ovaltine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file