Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When your lowball bid wins....there must be something wrong!!!! NGC did it again!

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 7, 2024 7:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Soooo.....I put in a bid for $475 on this NGC MS63 1846 N-11 Medium Date a few days ago just for kicks. There is no way this bid wins....PCGS price guide for MS62 is $800. Much to my surprise I wake up and find I won the lot in Ebay for $456. Immediately I sense I missed something.....sure as hell when I look up the cert. on NGC and zoom in the pics....SOB...it ain't a Medium Date...it's actually a small date...N-8 variety.
How did NGC screw this up?..I know you will say mechanical error....but I don't think so...more like attribution error. Now that being said....the price I paid was fair for an N-8. The question I have is what do I do now?
It was my error for not doing my homework so I won't return the coin. I have 2 other coins for cross over ..I will add this to the cross over pile and cross it as an N-8 when my membership renews in September and I get the 4 vouchers. This would be the path of least resistance.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I am disappointed in myself for being lazy...lucky I didn't overpay for what the coin actually is.
Here is the culprit.

Comments

• Options
    MartinMartin Posts: 855 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it is indeed what you say it is. That is a human error not mechanical error.

Martin

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

You’d think that the original submitter would have corrected it, but I guess since it was advantageous not to do so…

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

Would not NGC cover the error? I would contact them by phone and explain you trusted their judgement to be accurate. Good luck.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@Martin said:
    If it is indeed what you say it is. That is a human error not mechanical error.

Martin

All "mechanical errors" as TPGs use the term are human errors.

Well then that settles it. (We make mistakes and you are out of luck). I would hope not. But not much surprises me anymore

Martin

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,917 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send it to PCGS for crossover and correct attribution. Path of least resistance ? Dare I suggest JA's Company ?
    I'm glad you didn't overpay. The coin looks good.

• Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 230 ✭✭✭

I may get chastised for this comment, but with so many variations, attributions, grades, and variables, I just don’t understand how even an expert can grade a coin in a matter of seconds. Just seems there is a lot more to see than can be done in such a short cursory look. I realize they grade a LOT of coins and that many are the same thing over and over and over such as ASE’s, but the older coins seem to me they might need a better look for just what we are seeing posted here. A buyer of a slabbed coin shouldn’t have to second guess what the coin actually is as that is the reason the coin was sent in in the first place, correct?

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭✭✭

purchased a wrongly designated Canada 1966 Dollar as a Large Beads Dollar. Not rare.
    NGC says it is a Large Date Beads.
    The fact is, it is 100% a Small Date beads PL65, 1966, a very scarce and high-priced coin.
    I contacted NGC. Was told by a telephone lady in a very snippy way: If you do not like our grading, you can always send it back and our experts will look at it.
    end of communication...
    it is an excellent deal for me as th SB 1966 is priced at over 5K. the LB is around $ 300.
    What would you guys have done?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options

@yqq the original submitter was short changed by the grading services mistake. If you are indeed correct

Martin

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 9:07AM

There's a lot of that going around. This person is selling a 40-P small date as a 40-(O) medium date because a TPG sucked at basic variety attribution. Even though I posted about this mistake here and have contacted the seller four times and eBay 3 times, this offer still continues. I have received no replies from eBay other than they will look into it a week ago.

ebay.com/itm/305340400197

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would flip it and find a coin I like in the holder I prefer.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would still contact NGC to find your alternatives and if no help there, then I would do as previously suggested and send to PCGS and have it attributed. Unless, you wish to sell it, then place on Ebay for your original cost plus 20% BIN with make offer and hope for best. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

As far as 1846's go, it's a beautiful coin so I wouldn't return it...

FWIW.. I had a similar situation with a Morgan Dollar in a DMPL holder. I didn't see the "no returns" policy when I bid and ended up winning the auction (error on my part). The TV glamour shot looks much better than the coin in-hand. This is likely one I'll put up in an auction with a 99 cent starting bid... tuition sucks... :-/

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

The 'ol reverse cherry pick...

It's a nice coin. Nothing wrong with hanging onto it as is.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@Martin said:
    @yqq the original submitter was shortchanged by the grading services mistake. If you are indeed correct

Martin

OH, I am 100% correct on this one
    Did post the evidence before
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019593/canada-1966-small-bead-dollar-wrong-designation-by-ngc-of-a-key-and-well-known-mint-error

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:

@Martin said:
    @yqq the original submitter was shortchanged by the grading services mistake. If you are indeed correct

Martin

OH, I am 100% correct on this one
    Did post the evidence before
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1019593/canada-1966-small-bead-dollar-wrong-designation-by-ngc-of-a-key-and-well-known-mint-error

So did you have the coin graded again?

• Options

no still have it. wanted to send it to ICCS or CCCS
    border paperwork is way to damn complicated to send to our host.
    seriously consider selling it after ICCS.
    H

• Options
    d9lowed9lowe Posts: 307 ✭✭✭✭

That's a nice looking coin!

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Would not NGC cover the error? I would contact them by phone and explain you trusted their judgement to be accurate. Good luck.
    Jim

I agree. I've NEVER had an issue with NGC correcting an error. They even pay postage both ways. By putting "ME" (Mechanical Error) on all sides of the box, it's opened immediately. I always have it back within a couple of weeks or less.

• Options
    RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 7, 2024 7:26PM

NGC did it again......can't correctly attribute an 1846 LC.....what a joke. This is another small date called a medium date. Seller on Ebay wants big $$$ for it. Should I contact the seller?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/186425207814

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file