Comments

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@124Spider said:

@coinbuf said:
    AU58

I would not be the least bit surprised if it was found by CACG to be either cleaned or circulated. AU58 would not be a surprise.

I’d be a little surprised, but I’m also curious if the coin is now in a Legacy holder or not.

If the coin was found by CACG to be either cleaned or circulated, you should both be shocked. Because, based on the images, at least, those results wouldn’t make any sense. And CACG isn’t nearly as strict as some people apparently think.

We recently had a coin posted that was in a 64 holder with a CAC sticker that had prominent scratches on it, that most felt should have been in a Details holder… perhaps I’m getting a little jaded as to what’s shocking.

This coin appears 64-ish, from the photos, but I’m not an expert grader and didn’t see it in hand. If the experts who did see it in hand deemed it a 58+, or detected some issue and gave it a Details, I’d be surprised, but not shocked.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Walkerguy21D said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@124Spider said:

@coinbuf said:
    AU58

I would not be the least bit surprised if it was found by CACG to be either cleaned or circulated. AU58 would not be a surprise.

I’d be a little surprised, but I’m also curious if the coin is now in a Legacy holder or not.

If the coin was found by CACG to be either cleaned or circulated, you should both be shocked. Because, based on the images, at least, those results wouldn’t make any sense. And CACG isn’t nearly as strict as some people apparently think.

We recently had a coin posted that was in a 64 holder with a CAC sticker that had prominent scratches on it, that most felt should have been in a Details holder… perhaps I’m getting a little jaded as to what’s shocking.

This coin appears 64-ish, from the photos, but I’m not an expert grader and didn’t see it in hand. If the experts who did see it in hand deemed it a 58+, or detected some issue and gave it a Details, I’d be surprised, but not shocked.

It sounds like you didn’t see the grade reveal.😉

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@124Spider said:

@coinbuf said:
    AU58

It sounds like you didn’t see the grade reveal.😉

Lol, no I did not! Got distracted before posting my reply and didn’t keep up with the thread.

I guess I am a little shocked by the turn of events. And enjoy your crow diet my friend, I’ve certainly eaten my share over the years….hot sauce helps!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think if you asked that question with your slab picture you would have had more 58 guesses. CACG has glamor shots.

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a 65 based on the original pics and am glad I didn’t buy/submit based off of that pic. Hopefully I can just chalk it up to “grading from pics is hard” and not just the horribleness of my understanding of grading.

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 6:33PM

I am not shocked,,,,,, CACG is grading way too harshly and I fear that they may be shooting themselves in the foot.
    If they undergrade dealers and collectors will quit sending them submissions. People won't waste their money paying for under graded coin submissions that they will just lose money on. They would be better served grading in-line with PCGS but keeping their grades consistent,

That is good for PCGS, I think the early predictions of PCGS being de-throned have been premature.
    Ain't gonna happen.

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    I think if you asked that question with your slab picture you would have had more 58 guesses. CACG has glamor shots.

That's actually a CACG photo also.
    Apparently they do glamour shots and slab shots.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO easy 63

Doug
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 7:15PM

I guess I can now LOL at the LOL's I got for my reply. :p This same coin in a PCGS holder I would have guessed 64 or 65.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@Walkerguy21D said:

@124Spider said:

@coinbuf said:
    AU58

Mark, I was about to say that a lot of people don’t get just how strict CACG is.

I was considering guessing UNC Details Cleaned, but 58+ also seems to fit the pattern we’ve begun to see with CACG.

Coin Photographer.

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭

@GRANDAM said:
    I am not shocked,,,,,, CACG is grading way too harshly and I fear that they may be shooting themselves in the foot.
    If they undergrade dealers and collectors will quit sending them submissions. People won't waste their money paying for under graded coin submissions that they will just lose money on. They would be better served grading in-line with PCGS but keeping their grades consistent,

That is good for PCGS, I think the early predictions of PCGS being de-throned have been premature.
    Ain't gonna happen.

There must be some friction or rub you aren’t seeing on the coin. The experts know what they are doing

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gtstang said:

CACG has it at AU58+. That grade seems very elusive for peace dollars. It may be because of the everyman registry, but in pcgs au58+, they tend to sell for multiples of price guide.

And this is the question! Do you now send the slab to PCGS requesting a specific AU58+ grade or do you wait for an established CACG market?

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 21, 2024 9:21PM

The pic in the holder shows slid marks on the cheek where the cac view (that sounds dirty) doesn’t. Once again it appear that a plus is a “but” grade. It’s UNC but for some slide marks.

That said when that coin was sold to an album collector 40 years ago out of the back of coin world, it was sold an a choice UNC. Maybe the cheek marks are from the Dansco

• Options
    WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 821 ✭✭✭✭

@Crypto said:
    The pic in the holder shows slid marks on the cheek where the cac view (that sounds dirty) doesn’t. Once again it appear that a plus is a “but” grade. It’s UNC but for some slide marks.

That said when that coin was sold to an album collector 40 years ago out of the back of coin world, it was sold an a choice UNC. Maybe the cheek marks are from the Dansco

I think I see hairlines on the cheek perhaps

• Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

As previously noted, no, I'm not surprised by the grade.

But, it's one more data-point which makes me wonder why anyone would send a coin into CACG to be graded; also, of course, I have no idea how the market can efficiently deal with a "new" TPG giving so many coins such different grades from the established ones.

• Options
    coastaljerseyguycoastaljerseyguy Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The above photo does show some scuff/wear on Liberty not present on the Beauty Shot.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

A notable difference between two pictures is not a rare occurrence and this is one. Just for ease of viewing.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

@lilolme said:
    A notable difference between two pictures is not a rare occurrence and this is one. Just for ease of viewing.

Yes! I guessed 64+ based on the first picture posted (on left). I probably would have guessed MS62, based on the second one (on right).

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

So my thoughts since I have seen it. I'm no expert but I'm quite sure it has been dipped. Yes, you can see friction marks on the cheek. Although I don't know the history of it, it very well may have been in an album like crypto noted. If it was toned over and not dipped, it possibly could have gotten a ms grade.
    I really like it because of the esoteric AU-58+ grade.

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,030 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's obvious, my mind reading skills need some calibration.

• Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow, we got hosed by the glam shot!!

Doug
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭✭✭

I came to this thread very late. When doing a GTG I like to guess the grade upon a very brief look. To me this one had the look of a 64. Even after reading all the comments up to the grade reveal I still thought 64, but the next pic revealed so much more it seems. Good learning opportunity here.

• Options
    marcmoishmarcmoish Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the better GTG's this year, cngrats for that.

That said, had I seen the slab photo I would not have guessed 64 either, I'd have been 2 grades lower perhaps but most definitely would not have imagine 58+.

• Options
    HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 555 ✭✭✭✭✭

@marcmoish said:
    This is one of the better GTG's this year, cngrats for that.

That said, had I seen the slab photo I would not have guessed 64 either, I'd have been 2 grades lower perhaps but most definitely would not have imagine 58+.

>
    That’s concerning to me as well. Looking at the slab shot, I would been at 61-62, but not 58!
    I sure hope I can buy some 58s that looks like this! ( In my series of course.)

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 1:35PM

Yeah that is a good one.

Head faked by luster. If you look closer you can see some friction, but often these days I have the attention span of a house fly.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 11:31AM

Was going to put 64….

Unbelievable - Do you feel it’s undergraded?

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    edited February 22, 2024 11:49AM

@Cougar1978 said:
    Was going to put 64….

>

You already DID "put 64". I have copied it below for you so you can keep track of what you say. I knew you didn't pay much attention to other people's posts but I didn't realize you don't even pay attention to yourself. Of course, that's not a bad thing.

Cougar1978 Posts: 7,406 ✭✭✭✭✭February 20, 2024 11:52PM

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow is right! There's clearly something I'm not seeing! I was on the fence of MS64 or 65...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,798 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 22, 2024 1:06PM

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Was going to put 64….

>

You already DID "put 64". I have copied it below for you so you can keep track of what you say. I knew you didn't pay much attention to other people's posts but I didn't realize you don't even pay attention to yourself. Of course, that's not a bad

Putting u on ignore.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is one of the most usable examples of why grading from photos is far from a durable platform for coin grading. While it is fun and does test ones abilities, it is far from a proficient manner of successful grading. Nothing can compare to holding an AU-High MS coin inhand raw with the assistance of lighting to the grader's benefit.
    I do think that MOST G-XF coins can be successfully graded from photos and certainly VF20-VF35 do present a small difficulty to many. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Was going to put 64….

>

You already DID "put 64". I have copied it below for you so you can keep track of what you say. I knew you didn't pay much attention to other people's posts but I didn't realize you don't even pay attention to yourself. Of course, that's not a bad

Maybe you should go start one of those parallel universe blogs on utube. Having fun with your quote hobby?

We're sorry, user Cougar1978 is deservedly on "Ignore".

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

C'mon Mark, crow don't taste so bad. :)
    I guessed 64 from the first photo and would have guessed 62 from the second photo. So still a crowsome taste going on.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    124Spider124Spider Posts: 871 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:

@MFeld said:

@Cougar1978 said:
    Was going to put 64….

>

Putting u on ignore.

I'm sure he'll lose a lot of sleep over that!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file