Home Metal Detecting
Options

A roadside trash pick-up find

BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

While picking up aluminum cans and trash along a fence line this week, I found a 5"x5"x10" heavy cardboard box containing a Wm Rogers silver-plate flatware set (weighing about 4 pounds) with a sterling-handled carving knife and fork. I also salvaged a spiffy wood-trimmed Mossy Oak wall clock, an unopened can of Bid Light, and about $7.00 worth of aluminum cans. Also spotted a drive train, several wheels, and sets of brake pads for salvage.

It's not exactly metal detecting but I'm at least hunting for metal. And the proceeds go toward purchase of "junk" Morgans, Walkers and Franklin halves.

3 rim nicks away from Good

Comments

• Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice finds and just like detecting you don't know what your going to find I turn my scrap into gold

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,512 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice find, as said abovw you never never know, congrats B)

• Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭

That carving set may be Stieff it is a very nice find.

• Options
    OwnerofawheatiehordeOwnerofawheatiehorde Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice find!

Type collector, mainly into Seated. Young Numismatist. Good BST transactions with: mirabela, OKCC, MICHAELDIXON

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 9, 2024 8:58PM

Thanks! I just looked it up and it's a pretty good match for a Stieff Rose Sterling Carving set. I don't see Stieff stamped anywhere, though. Only "STERLING HANDLE" at the base of the handle. I think it's a "Machin's Mills" Stieff, a copycat pattern, but I need to research this more. It is interesting to read about how the dies for the handles are engraved and vary considerably over time. Apparently, people collect Stieff Rose silver flatware patterns. Has someone has identified the different die varieties? I assume yes.

The silverplate is made by Wm Rogers.

I was interested in scrapping the sterling handles but the gf wants it as a cutlery set.

3 rim nicks away from Good