Home Q & A Forum
Options

1857 FE Cent ddo?

m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭
edited February 16, 2024 11:19AM in Q & A Forum

This date is doubled and also the letters in America are doubled but I didn't get a good picture of them. Is this doubling unique or special is any way?

Comments

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like machine doubling. ;)

• Options
    GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 816 ✭✭✭✭

I agree with Machine Doubling.
    If it was a Doubled Die, the devices would be larger.

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭

The date on these was punched in by hand after the dies were hubbed. A true doubled die would not have a doubled date.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you post a reverse picture?
    Thanks.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    m4832m4832 Posts: 89 ✭✭✭

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭

@m4832 said:

Thanks.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

I really like these FECs. I wish they would have extended the series forever too.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

I love those coins, and I will put here my oppinion.

You has the normal 1857 coin.. WAYNEAS ask to see if you has the 1856 observe on 1857 coin.

The date could be not doubled because the date was manual punch (MarkKelley was perfect right)

Me on the first I look if you do not have and MPD (Miss Punch Date). By the photos do not seem to be, maybe very light to be took in consideration.

Now the Date: In that year was many repunched date. Your IMHO it is an minor one, repunch from right to left and the coin it is on the early stage of the die. Do brink more value? The answer it is not because practicaly allmost all the coins will show this. Only two are more scarce and attributed.

Well circulated coin but still nice. If you go in this 3 year set, you easy can find nicce specimens in 63 or 64. 65 and plus become very scarce.

Silvio

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN