Home U.S. Coin Forum

Do you think this ANACS soapbox will cross at PCGS?

RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 567 ✭✭✭✭✭

These 1842 Small Date has been tough to find nice. I like this AU50....no spots or corrosion. Looks like a solid AU50 when I look at the hair detail over the ear. Let me know what you think! I really appreciate all the feedback...you all have saved me from some poor decisions in the past. This forum is an invaluable resource.

Comments

• 1madman1madman Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

No because of the corrosion

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see that coin as an EF-40 at best.

I don't have a certified EF-40. Here is a certified AU-53 from the same era.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF details corroded

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

To bad bout the marks on the reverse, I'd pass

• Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF - pass

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 12:26PM

Not a fortune teller lol. I would specify minimum grade of AU50 on any submission.

CPG for AU50 is $260, I would use that price, open to negotiation if room. Would keep as is for now / Nice coin / MS 70 is perfect.

As far as try cross at AU 50 not enough of a biggie motivate me spend / gamble money. My fixed OH in the biz is enough as it is. I easily sell Anacs, ICG at shows all the time in addition to PCGS and raw.

Coins & Currency
  • jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,657 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 2:49PM

Not a PCGS AU50. Guaranteed. ;)

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

No based on the reverse

Many happy BST transactions
  • Farmer1961Farmer1961 Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

The verdigris or corrosion on the back should keep it out of a PCGS straight grade holder.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 8:24AM

Additionally More of a currency submitter. Considering it’s a circ I really don’t consider it’s something I would be beating down the door to submit.

Would just keep as is-CPG for AU is $260. I would use that as ask price, open to negotiation based on what have in it. It’s a tough to find coin, fills the hole nicely. Many crack these out for their albums.

You could give it a shot if need fill slot on slab bus - be sure put minimum grade AU50. I don’t see it going any higher. Would not crack out and mess with it.

Coins & Currency
  • StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 2:28PM

Courtesy Brightened Image to Better Discern OP’s @RLSnapper Coin Details

(Note: There appears to be quite a bit of Corrosion on the Reverse around the wreath & letters)

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 854 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are missing the obvious problems, in denial. You want the 1842 small date so badly that you are willing to ignore the obvious. Patience is all I can say

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file