Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Capital Plastics Coin Holders

I have a few Capital plastics coin holders that I have slowly been filling. I like them a lot escpecially since you can see both sides of the coin, but the little plastic screws that keep them together have a knack of yellowing and/or becoming brittle. And frankly they're nothing special to look at.
Has anyone replaced them with something else? I was think nice brass screw caps would be cool, but I'm not seeing anything that fits the sizing all that well...

Dan
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought some replacement plastic screws for an old CP holder. The place I got them from also had aluminum ones, if I recall.

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 721 ✭✭✭✭✭

I found any aluminum or brass screws are distracting, with the metallic brightness pulling attention away from the glow of the coins.

Maybe some black-colored substitute? Painting the metal screws will be an easy thing to try.

"For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord" Romans 6:23. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.

• Options

@Mr_Spud - thanks, didn't realize they had aluminum ones!

@jacrispies - good point. Hadn't thought of that. If those aluminum screws were black anodized, they'd be perfect.
    You're right though, I could easily hit them with some paint.

Dan
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,678 ✭✭✭✭✭

Paint the screws any color you like. Let them dry well before screwing around. Good luck. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Mr_Spud said:

This 😉

• Options

Thanks folks... I may get the brass and aluminum ones and play around to see what works best. Honestly may depend on the coins. Brass or black may work well for the typesets, perhaps the aluminum will look better for my Morgan holders.

Dan

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well played- there is something to be said about the old time feel of these. Regrettably I have only the Canadian Dollars that I have nearly completed.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    NeophyteNumismatistNeophyteNumismatist Posts: 899 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 6:11PM

Look for "Chicago Screws" on Amazon, and the world is your oyster. Nice collection also!

I am a newer collector (started April 2020), and I primarily focus on U.S. Half Cents and Type Coins. Early copper is my favorite.

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 8:28PM

Thanks for the nice memories. Up until around 15 years ago or so, that was how I stored my Type Set. At that time I bought the replacement plastic screws.

My Type Set has been upgraded over the years since then, and resides in PCGS holders. Its grown to the Dansco 7070 format shown in my #3 Ranked set in my signature hotlink below.

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,707 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jacrispies said:
    I found any aluminum or brass screws are distracting, with the metallic brightness pulling attention away from the glow of the coins.

Maybe some black-colored substitute? Painting the metal screws will be an easy thing to try.

https://www.chicagoscrews.com/Black-Aluminum-Chicago-Screws

• Options
    1946Hamm1946Hamm Posts: 769 ✭✭✭✭✭

Look up 1/4 inch Chicago Screws on Amazon and get them there. You can get aluminum, brass, stainless steel in about any finish you want. I like the gold ones. 100 are less than $10.

Have a good day, Gary
  • Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 19th century set with just the basic types. Cool!

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could always prime and paint the screws I suppose. Nice sets BTW.

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those sets are awesome! I think the newer plastic screws are more durable, so that could be an option as well.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,543 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 15, 2024 7:23AM
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR
    Ebay has this offer for the gold colored screws. 6 pairs for $20. I have had/sold and still have so many of the holders I keep several bags of the original screws to change them out when yellowed. They are inexpensive and that way keeps it with an original look.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    @OAKSTAR
    Ebay has this offer for the gold colored screws. 6 pairs for $20. I have had/sold and still have so many of the holders I keep several bags of the original screws to change them out when yellowed. They are inexpensive and that way keeps it with an original look.
    Jim

That makes sense.

I'm thinking of the aesthetics with the black holder. I think a brass or gold screw would look really nice and give it a richer look on a black holder. Those aluminum ones do nothing for me.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@1946Hamm said:
    Here are some gold screws on a black gold holder.

That looks really sharp!

Dan

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    edited February 15, 2024 9:24PM

@1946Hamm said:
    Here are some gold screws on a black gold holder.

I think they look much better then the plastic.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    WaterSportWaterSport Posts: 6,711 ✭✭✭✭✭

The original "Slab".

WS

Proud recipient of the coveted PCGS Forum "You Suck" Award Thursday July 19, 2007 11:33 PM and December 30th, 2011 at 8:50 PM.
  • Options
    BStrauss3BStrauss3 Posts: 3,176 ✭✭✭✭✭

I kind of wonder what the designer of that holder had against Benonine, Texas to put the screw right there.

If this were a TV crime show, they would zoom in on the reflections in the screws, press a magic button and tell us the perp has a Rolex Submariner in gold. Only sold by three jewelers in the area and we'd have a suspect before the first commercial break.

-----Burton
    ANA 50 year/Life Member (now "Emeritus")
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BStrauss3 said:
    I kind of wonder what the designer of that holder had against Benonine, Texas to put the screw right there.

If this were a TV crime show, they would zoom in on the reflections in the screws, press a magic button and tell us the perp has a Rolex Submariner in gold. Only sold by three jewelers in the area and we'd have a suspect before the first commercial break.

Maybe they were aiming at the geographic center of the USA,Lebanon,KS, and missed. :)

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    AllLincolnsAllLincolns Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Nice set! I don't think I've seen those before. When were those medals issued?

Dan

- Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Capital plastic holders were cool back in the day.

• Options

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love it, @TwoSides2aCoin !

Nothing like looking at a well presented type set in gold!

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does Capital Plastics make holders for Newfoundland coins? Will they make custom holders?

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:
    Does Capital Plastics make holders for Newfoundland coins? Will they make custom holders?

I contacted Capital Plastics about a year ago. I asked about holders for the 2 five coin W Quarter series. They basically said it wasn't financially feasible for them to put it into production. They will custom make a holder but it was way to expensive for me!

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@Barberian said:

I contacted Capital Plastics about a year ago. I asked about holders for the 2 five coin W Quarter series. They basically said it wasn't financially feasible for them to put it into production. They will custom make a holder but it was way to expensive for me!

How about a simple half dollar holder with 24 openings? Six rows of four coins.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Barberian said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Barberian said:

How about a simple half dollar holder with 24 openings? Six rows of four coins.

No idea about that one.

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

I looked into having the company produce a board for an 1891 set I was building and the cost back then (about six years ago) was $200 for a single one-off panel.

I do love their products and have recommended them to a few fellow collectors in my area.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    AllLincolnsAllLincolns Posts: 55 ✭✭✭
    edited April 5, 2024 8:20AM

@jfriedm56 said:
    Always liked the look of the short set in blue.!

Beautiful set!

Dan

- Abraham Lincoln

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file