Home U.S. Coin Forum

Counterfeit 1930 buffalo nickel?

BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Checkout the date style on this 1930 buffalo nickel now on ebay. Real or fake?
The zero in the date is too small.

Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Comments

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

Report it 😉

• GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

The whole date is wrong plus minor discrepancies on the reverse.
    It wouldn’t be the first time GSC has tried to sell counterfeit coins.
    They have had listings removed in the past for being counterfeit.

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't like it. The whole thing looks "off".

• jfriedm56jfriedm56 Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn’t have the look of a genuine Buffalo. The lettering is too thin and uneven.

• BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this were a real coin it would be a new varitey, the "small zero variety".

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Take a look at the date herein on a real 1930

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Also look at a reverse included here, the tail is way off on the fake, compare tails on the two reverses.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • JBKJBK Posts: 15,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any chance it's a contemporary counterfeit?

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JBK said:

My guess would be no. The contemporary counterfeits were cruder looking than this, especially for just a nickel. Henning’s counterfeits were among the best, but he was copying Jefferson Nickels.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:

@JBK said:

My guess would be no. The contemporary counterfeits were cruder looking than this, especially for just a nickel. Henning’s counterfeits were among the best, but he was copying Jefferson Nickels.

As counterfeits go, the Henning nickels are actually very low quality. Certainly not "among the best".
    Here is a true mint-state 1944 Henning:

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 23,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 14, 2024 3:17PM

While there has been a focus on the zero in the 1930 date (and rightly so), look at the 3 and then look at the 1938D. I see some resemblance. The 3 is as problematic as the 0. Could be an interesting contemporary counterfeit if you are willing to extend the counterfeiting/production time frame beyond 1938 and potentially into the Henning period. This coin in my view was counterfeited at a later time but still may have some unexplored numismatic interest. I will let others that have a greater insight to contemporary counterfeits of the late 1930s and 1940s address this.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• WalkerloverWalkerlover Posts: 850 ✭✭✭✭

@coinkat said:
    While there has been a focus on the zero in the 1930 date (and rightly so), look at the 3 and then look at the 1938D. I see some resemblance. The 3 is as problematic as the 0. Could be an interesting contemporary counterfeit if you are willing to extend the counterfeiting/production time frame beyond 1938 and potentially into the Henning period. This coin in my view was counterfeited at a later time but still may have some unexplored numismatic interest. I will let others that have a greater insight to contemporary counterfeits of the late 1930s and 1940s address this.

What methods of counterfeiting do you think were used to create this coin?

Look at the Henning Nickel and look at the Buffalo- compare the fields-

• dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you see date digits that have been changed and do not match the original style, but the rest of the coin is a close match to genuine coins, then that is usually (but not always) an indication of a modern counterfeit. But note that vintage counterfeits from hand-cut dies will have deviations in the date digits, but also deviations in everything else.

If the counterfeiting was vintage, and the counterfeiters wanted to produce a "1930" nickel, it would be a lot easier to just use a relatively common 1930 nickel as their model.

Many of the recent Chinese copies have date digits that are crudely re-engraved. This is because they can generate multiple dies, with different dates, from a single model coin.

• 1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

The whole face of the Buffalo seems off including the horn and hair, at least it is not a faked high dollar variety, but still come on, who was trying to fool who!

@dcarr

While everything you wrote makes sense, would it not be been more productive to select a better date than 1930?

• AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:

An infamous seller overall.

Smitten with DBLCs.

@Greenstang said:

Also the lettering on E. Pluribus Unum is in distinct and wavy looking

• BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭✭✭

On the coin in question the Buffalos ribs are showing prominently. If that means anything. What stood out to me along with the "0".

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool info

• crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

A mystery on who and when the nickel was counterfeited. It certainly is a crude counterfeit and ugly. What stands out the most to me is the buffalo’s fur on his head and the tail is completely misplaced.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • GreenstangGreenstang Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭✭

You can buy these 1930 Buffalo nickel counterfeits from Ali-express in China for less than $3.00.
    They admit they are cast copies.

• Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would think that would be a quick way to lose your selling privilege on ebay.
    I wonder if they know it's fake.

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA
    Dantheman984 Toyz4geo SurfinxHI greencopper RWW

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

I noticed the date. Pitiful attempt. I discontinued viewing their coins a couple of years ago. I like the fact that they announce theirselves with their initials. Saves time for me.
    @crazyhounddog You are right Joe, the buff's hair sucks as does most of it's features.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suppose a nickel in 1930 would go a long way. > @Morgan13 said:

I would think that would be a quick way to lose your selling privilege on ebay.
    I wonder if they know it's fake.

As many coins as they handle you’d think it would have caught their eye. As many problem coins they sell I don’t even look at their listings. So there’s that.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 316 ✭✭✭

@Greenstang said:
    You can buy these 1930 Buffalo nickel counterfeits from Ali-express in China for less than $3.00.
    They admit they are cast copies.

Yep….and you can get slabbed Gold Eagles for $1.99 there too. Don’t let those shoppers from the home shopping networks see that or they’ll be buying all they can! Lol

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 7:36AM

If you put a little wear on a Henning counterfeit, it was pass fairly well, especially when most people don't look at their change that closely. The @dcarr posted looks like an Unc.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    I noticed the date. Pitiful attempt. I discontinued viewing their coins a couple of years ago. I like the fact that they announce theirselves with their initials. Saves time for me.
    @crazyhounddog You are right Joe, the buff's hair sucks as does most of it's features.
    Jim

Isn’t there an option in your settings to exclude sellers whose listings you don’t want to see? That would save more time.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Isn’t there an option in your settings to exclude sellers whose listings you don’t want to see? That would save more time.

You are correct, Mark, and I have many in that file, but with the initials, I just never bothered, but I have now. Thank you.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
    edited February 17, 2024 2:06PM

Right now there are eleven bidders (bidiots) high bid currently at an even 51 dollars. Will check back in here for the final tally
    as the auction ends at 912pm eastern standard time tomorrow.
    Great Southern stands to make a nice profit from this auction.

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

Maybe the current high bidder "Knows" that this is the ultra rare small "0" variety!

a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"

@BUFFNIXX said:
    Right now there are eleven bidders (bidiots) high bid currently at an even 51 dollars. Will check back in here for the final tally

Maybe they didn’t realize it’s counterfeit and bought it for genuine, they seem to have a good EBay rating with a decent amount of PCGS nice coins and good customer communication.

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2024 5:57PM

@Walkerlover said:

@BUFFNIXX said:

Maybe they didn’t realize it’s counterfeit and bought it for genuine, they seem to have a good EBay rating with a decent amount of PCGS nice coins and good customer communication.

Without regard to this particular seller… Many sellers have very good eBay ratings (even 100%) but have sold multiple counterfeits and/or over-graded and/or problem coins represented as problem-free. Their feedback scores are so high because many buyers of their coins mistakenly think they’re getting good deals.

There are quite a few threads about this seller.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BUFFNIXX said:

Count me as one of those 'bidiots' - although I am out of the running now- as I thought it might be a contemporary counterfeit and as such may well be worth than if it was genuine (for the date and grade).

peacockcoins

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@braddick said:
    Count me as one of those 'bidiots' - although I am out of the running now- as I thought it might be a contemporary counterfeit and as such may well be worth than if it was genuine (for the date and grade).

You have been counted.

If you want cheap counterfeits that might be a contemporary counterfeit you can get as many as you want here for .99 cents each.

https://www.aliexpress.us/?gatewayAdapt=glo2usa

I don’t think these people are expecting much as the coin went for only $56, maybe not a counterfeit but certainly a cleaned or corroded detail coin. Unless they are completely insane

This one sold tonight for $69.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file