Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS Customer Service. Am I being unreasonable? Your opinion please.

13»

Comments

• Options

We in the choir hear you loud and clear...and here's hoping you mend sooner than the docs forecast.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 16, 2024 8:45PM

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2024 6:27AM

@ProofCollection said:

Are you kidding? Things happen and people can't use them? You have 365 days to use them. Use them right away or take chances that you'll use them in the last month. It's your decision, your gamble. If people don't think they can use the vouchers in time, then perhaps they should get Silver subscriptions. All of the terms and conditions are known up front. Sometimes when you gamble you lose.

To take it further. Taxes must be paid by Apr 15, otherwise there is a penalty. Now you can do your taxes early and eliminate risk or you can wait until April 15 and hope that nothing prevents you from getting that check in the mail. Should the IRS have pity on those who procrastinated?

Life is complex, @UtahCoin just proved that. Empathy makes for good buisness.

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:
    Here is my take, the vouchers should be good until you use them. 1 year, 20 years, 50 years, period, until you pass away. I ate 5 vouchers myself back in the day bc I could not find 5 coins to send them in a year, so poof. Seems a way to max out profit to me. Reason 4 why I did not renew this year. CACG has no membership fee, it is strictly pay as you go, I like that...................

Except the company has to carry them a a liability on their books

Golly, life is tough for the poor company, can't organize their books to be nice to folks. Sheesh............

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭✭✭

What BryceM said.. and a few others.
    Get well soon Utah!

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,356 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:
    Here is my take, the vouchers should be good until you use them. 1 year, 20 years, 50 years, period, until you pass away. I ate 5 vouchers myself back in the day bc I could not find 5 coins to send them in a year, so poof. Seems a way to max out profit to me. Reason 4 why I did not renew this year. CACG has no membership fee, it is strictly pay as you go, I like that...................

Golly, life is tough for the poor company, can't organize their books to be nice to folks. Sheesh............

It’s the same reason why employee vacation days don’t roll over, or only partially roll over.

The large liability on the books shows a bad risk to Wall Street.

Just ask the airline companies about all those banked air miles in people’s accounts.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

You’re talking about what would be nice. But like it or not, there are other considerations and the choice by companies not to do things like that doesn’t make them inherently bad or evil.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited February 17, 2024 11:37AM

nevermind.....

• Options
    edited February 17, 2024 11:38AM

@MFeld said:

You’re talking about what would be nice. But like it or not, there are other considerations and the choice by companies not to do things like that doesn’t make them inherently bad or evil.

If someone has a membership in order to entice folks to be part of their system, and then gives out vouchers, which the member pays for, that not only benefit the company, but benefit the member, those vouchers should be good until used. Life can get in the way of things even with long deadlines. A company has a chance to make this person's complex life better, and make them even more committed to their company with a 'feel good' moment.

Also, the member paid for the service, if they don't get the service, then it is just another way to profit for the company on the back of the member. Why would any company want to do that and lose a member? This is partly why I did not renew. I got vouchers, then found out the coins I want to submit were ineligible. As NJCoin noted, one can vote with their feet.

The post above that you must pay your taxes by April 15 each year as an analogy? Uh no, you don't have to pay your taxes at the deadline, there are plenty of ways to extend it.

Best, SH

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2024 9:03AM

Never mind

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

Isn’t it precisely our choices in life and how we treat others that determine whether we are good or bad?

Your incredible reputation in our hobby is because you have chosen to treat people so well over many years!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Project Numismatics said:

@MFeld said:

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

Isn’t it precisely our choices in life and how we treat others that determine whether we are good or bad?

Your incredible reputation in our hobby is because you have chosen to treat people so well over many years!

Thank you - that was a very nice thing to say and I don’t take it lightly.

I think our choices in life and how we treat others can indicate all sorts of things about us, including whether we are “good” or “bad”. But, while it would have been a nice thing for PCGS to have granted an extension, I still don’t think their refusal made them a “bad” company.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    TomthemailcarrierTomthemailcarrier Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭✭

Noted. I’ve attempted to. No more charity here.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,868 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little well-placed charity is fine in the appropriate circumstances, but in this particular case I got the impression that it was more about the principle.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Tomthemailcarrier said:
    Noted. I’ve attempted to. No more charity here.

True charity comes from within- not asking others to do so.

peacockcoins

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@spacehayduke said:

If they NEVER expired, as was suggested, they could end up carrying millions in liabilities on the bike. And it's not just a book entry, it changes their capital position.

• Options
    ProofCollectionProofCollection Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@MFeld said:

If someone has a membership in order to entice folks to be part of their system, and then gives out vouchers, which the member pays for, that not only benefit the company, but benefit the member, those vouchers should be good until used. Life can get in the way of things even with long deadlines. A company has a chance to make this person's complex life better, and make them even more committed to their company with a 'feel good' moment.

"Life gets in the way?" We all have 365 days to use our vouchers. That is ample time to allow for "life getting in the way."

Also, the member paid for the service, if they don't get the service, then it is just another way to profit for the company on the back of the member. Why would any company want to do that and lose a member? This is partly why I did not renew. I got vouchers, then found out the coins I want to submit were ineligible. As NJCoin noted, one can vote with their feet.

The member was also fully aware of the terms, that they expired in 365 days, and they didn't take precaution to eliminate or reduce the possibility of not using the voucher by using them earlier or by getting a subscription that didn't come with a voucher. Members who wait until the last minute are gambling. In this case, the gambler lost.

The post above that you must pay your taxes by April 15 each year as an analogy? Uh no, you don't have to pay your taxes at the deadline, there are plenty of ways to extend it.

Actually, you have to pay your personal tax liability by Apr 15. You can get an extension on filing the return though. That's two separate things. If you file with an extension and end up owing there is a penalty.

• Options
    wondercoinwondercoin Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

On a somewhat related note…

My wife forgot that she had a free night privilege on both of her Marriott credit cards (Visa and Amex). She lost 10 total free nights over the past 5 years worth around $2,500-$3,000 (but of course we paid the 10 annual membership fees). We called the credit cards and Marriott to ask if there was anything they could do about this. The answer from everyone was a flat out “no”. Not even on the 2 free nights that had expired just a week or two before our call! Are Marriott, Visa and AMEX all “bad” companies? We “moved on” very quickly after our request was denied. In a sense, it was refreshing that, for once, the wife messed up and not me, because everyone knows that after 30+ years of marriage the husband is always wrong! Perhaps even after a year of marriage!

Wondercoin

Please visit my website at www.wondercoins.com and my ebay auctions under my user name www.wondercoin.com.
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 8:18AM

@wondercoin said:

My wife forgot that she had a free night privilege on both of her Marriott credit cards (Visa and Amex). She lost 10 total free nights over the past 5 years worth around $2,500-$3,000 (but of course we paid the 10 annual membership fees). We called the credit cards and Marriott to ask if there was anything they could do about this. The answer from everyone was a flat out “no”. Not even on the 2 free nights that had expired just a week or two before our call! Are Marriott, Visa and AMEX all “bad” companies? We “moved on” very quickly after our request was denied. In a sense, it was refreshing that, for once, the wife messed up and not me, because everyone knows that after 30+ years of marriage the husband is always wrong! Perhaps even after a year of marriage!

Wondercoin

Are you equivocating equating 5 years of simple forgetfulness with the OP’s accident?

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 18, 2024 7:31AM

@Project Numismatics said:

@wondercoin said:

Wondercoin

Are you equivocating 5 years of simple forgetfulness with the OP’s accident?

Looks the same from the corporate side.

We are all sympathetic to his recovery.

However, was the OP physically incapable of filing out a submission form? How would PCGS know. I'm sure I'll get flamed. I understand the PCGS submissions were probably not high on his list of priorities, nor should they have been. But you're asking PCGS to determine the exact extent of his inability versus disinterest in making submissions. From the corporate side, it simply makes sense to stick to the policy as written.

• Options
    WingedLiberty1957WingedLiberty1957 Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭✭✭

JMHO but you should focus on your health and getting better and don't sweat the little things like freebie coin subs.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file