Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Rare coins in wild, they are out there, here is proof

I bought this 1882 0 coin raw and already had it in my stash before I started studying Vams. To my SHOCK lol I suspected it was an O/S Vam 4 but had no idea it would turn out to be a quadruple rarity. An 82 O/S Vam 4 EDS Proof Like. What a shocker, I had to go through the whole pile and found some cool Vams lol

This coin must have been early out of the shoot and must have been hit by every single coin after, I was worried it would come back cleaned with all the chatter but I got lucky. It has deep mirrors if you can see past the chatter. I thought it should be a 58 or 60 but I wont push my luck

Comments

• Options

I forgot to mention I paid $57 for coin on Fleabay

• Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

Now if you can get that into a PCGS PL holder you’d really have something.

Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dsalesco FYI, not all varieties are rare.

• Options

@cheezhed said:

Yeah I want too but Im scared I might lose grade

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    No idea what the coin is worth but you sound excited and I love that!! That is what it is all about.
    The coin has that appearance that only Morgan fans can love.

Im just happy it found me..... gotta love morgans

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

I don't understand why you believe this variety to be rare?

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:

well maybe because there are only about 12 PL out there, that might be why

• Options

Although the O/S has fallen in popularity, it is more rare than the 1882 O, the vam 4 is the rarest of the three, and the early die state is more rare than late die state, and even knowing this coin is the lowest of the proof likes, its rare enough for me and makes a nice addition to my complete set. Currently there are two ms45 on ebay, ugly and not PL asking 2500.

• Options
    dsalescodsalesco Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited February 12, 2024 10:40PM

@IkesT said:
    @dsalesco FYI, not all varieties are rare.

true, we dont really know what rare is since we don't have real population numbers. All we have is anecdotal evidence. In this case it is the EDS and PL that help make it "more rare" or at least until more are found, just like this one.

• Options
    RobertScotLoverRobertScotLover Posts: 727 ✭✭✭✭

@dsalesco said:

@RobertScotLover said:

First don't you believe that new yellow ANACS is quite loose when it comes to grading, which is most likely why its in that particular holder.
    Second you are not counting all the pieces that collectors have not sent into grading because they don't care that it is PL nor do they care about a variety that isn't easily noticeable nor do they care about hollering it in general..
    Thirdly pop reports aren't to be relied upon, especially when it comes to all of the above.
    I respect your love for varieties and realize that there are a great many hammers out there but there are also a great deal of collectors who don't care about Vam numbers (varieties) other than the major or more obvious/significant ones.
    And lastly PL is so subjective, and the definition has changed over the years and there are those collectors that also don't care if a dollar is PL or not since there are so many examples that are and again the definition is like a moving target, where as genuine proof examples are no question collectible and sought after in their own right

• Options

@RobertScotLover said:

@dsalesco said:

@RobertScotLover said:

First don't you believe that new yellow ANACS is quite loose when it comes to grading, which is most likely why its in that particular holder.

****A ****Actually no I dont, that may have been in past, I think they are hard on coins now because of that past. Personally I prefer PCGS but wanted VSS to attribute it. Only fools rate the holder and ignore the coin.

Second you are not counting all the pieces that collectors have not sent into grading because they don't care that it is PL nor do they care about a variety that isn't easily noticeable nor do they care about hollering it in general..

A Dont you think that is obvious since I found this in the wild??? more important is I dont care what you or anyone else thinks about a variety or anything else for that matter. Your free to be as closed minded as you like.

Thirdly pop reports aren't to be relied upon, especially when it comes to all of the above.
    I respect your love for varieties and realize that there are a great many hammers out there but there are also a great deal of collectors who don't care about Vam numbers (varieties) other than the major or more obvious/significant ones.

**A ** I already stated that just before your post

And lastly PL is so subjective, and the definition has changed over the years and there are those collectors that also don't care if a dollar is PL or not since there are so many examples that are and again the definition is like a moving target, where as genuine proof examples are no question collectible and sought after in their own right

**A ** I realize the image is two dimensional and you cant see, but it has deep mirrors that are obstructed by the chatter stopping it from being a DMPL. Lots of things changed over the years, once there was only one of these, now there are hundreds so what is your point?? Today there are only 12 proof like so today it is rare, tomorrow is another story.

• Options

is that all you got

• Options

Hey John, appreciate the support.

• Options

@RobertScotLover You should take some time and visit vamworld. If you collect Morgans you should learn more about the varieties and what makes them special (as if being a Morgan is not enough). I didn't know much about them either until recently but it is amazing the hard work that goes into the research. Everyone there wants to help you learn and once bitten, you may never go back. Think about it. Maybe I will see you there

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! :)

• Options
    dsalescodsalesco Posts: 38 ✭✭
    edited February 12, 2024 11:47PM

Im still in shock the 62 sold for 31K, that coin sold for 4k last time it sold, I think its the same coin.

I also snagged a 1986 P vam 20 MS61 (also anacs) from a raw coin thanks to Vamworld and the SSDC, they are the bomb, check it out if you dont know. Scarce coins are out there so keep lookin boys, ya know I am.

PS I wanted to share this coin because at one time I was ignorant to varieties, in hopes of helping fellow collectors, like so many who helped me find this special Morgan dollar.

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 923 ✭✭✭✭✭

I come back to what I said.
    I am very happy for you. For 57$ plus the Anaca grading you did very well. I would not compare its sell price to a PCGS DMPL. However, the coin makes you happy.. the variety is a top 100 and tough. Not sure it would cross at PL but I have never had a great grasp on that.
    Great grab... nice coin.

• Options
    Clackamas1Clackamas1 Posts: 830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2024 1:35AM

@dsalesco said:
    I forgot to mention I paid $57 for coin on Fleabay

That is an AU55 like I am a 911 terrorist as a Irish catholic. That is a body bag AU details, plane crash. For $60 buck you did well.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2024 7:15AM

Nice find!

I’m not really sure why you’re getting these negative comments. I think folks need to relax a bit.

Happy for you and hope you enjoy the heck out of this coin!

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the great find!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember sending in one in 2011.

Paid $17. each back then. Didn't even see the variety. PCGS did and did not charge me for designation. Weak :).

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TwoSides2aCoin said:
    I remember sending in one in 2011.

Paid $17. each back then. Didn't even see the variety. PCGS did and did not charge me for designation. Weak :).

O/S Weak means anything except for the late die stage of VAM 3. The late die stages of VAM 3, 4, and 5 (O/S flush, recessed, broken, respectively) are all about equal rarity. The early die stages of all of them are scarce, with the VAM 3 EDS being the most common of the three, followed by VAM 5 EDS, which is scarcer. VAM 4 EDS is in a league of its own, and is also the only way you'll get a PL 82-O/S.

• Options
    Morgan13Morgan13 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 13, 2024 11:16AM

@Relaxn said:
    No idea what the coin is worth but you sound excited and I love that!! That is what it is all about.
    The coin has that appearance that only Morgan fans can love.

I am with you 100%.
    I have no idea why anyone would cast the OP's post in a negative light
    As collectors the fun is not always in the value or even pop reports.
    Enjoy your Morgan!

Student of numismatics and collector of Morgan dollars
    Successful BST transactions with: Namvet Justindan Mattniss RWW olah_in_MA

• Options
    jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the coin! It definitely has PL quality and detail that looks better than a 55. ANACS holders are my favorite to cherrypick because they tend to undergrade or detail problems that are entirely market acceptable (like a small drift mark).

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin to me.
    Nice score!

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cheezhed said:

NGC will go PL on AU coins, but not PCGS or ICG.

• Options

@Relaxn said:
    I come back to what I said.
    I am very happy for you. For 57$ plus the Anaca grading you did very well. I would not compare its sell price to a PCGS DMPL. However, the coin makes you happy.. the variety is a top 100 and tough. Not sure it would cross at PL but I have never had a great grasp on that.
    Great grab... nice coin.

Yeah I would not push my luck changing labels but yeah its not a million dollar coin but vam collecting bug bites hard. I accept it being the lowest of them all, in fact I didn't think a 55 could even be PL, although if you can look around the chatter it is a dmpl but the chatter is so heavy I was lucky to get a PL and not a details so Im happy.

• Options

@jacrispies said:
    I like the coin! It definitely has PL quality and detail that looks better than a 55. ANACS holders are my favorite to cherrypick because they tend to undergrade or detail problems that are entirely market acceptable (like a small drift mark).

I think they got a bad rep over grading in past, I like cherry picking them too but recent subs I thought they were a little hard on grades. I like the fast turnaround and customer service the most. And I think they have the best vam attributor of them all <<

• Options

@Project Numismatics said:
    Nice find!

I’m not really sure why you’re getting these negative comments. I think folks need to relax a bit.

Happy for you and hope you enjoy the heck out of this coin!

I grew up in the Bronx NYC in the 1960;s with a name like Demetri, you think these thugs bother me lol

• Options

@logger7 said:

@cheezhed said:

NGC will go PL on AU coins, but not PCGS or ICG.

Ahhh didn't know that but Im not touching it lol

• Options

Appreciate all the comments, negative ones too. @Morgan13 your absolutely right, for "collectors the fun is not always in the value or even pop reports." Its communities like these and helpful people like John at VSS that keep collecting alive, life is not always about the $$$$. There is so much yet to learn.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file