Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Morgan dollar collectors wish to know...

Please post a timeline as best you remember for the designations of PL, Semi-PL, DCAM, UDCAM. When/why was Semi-PL dropped? Anything you remember about the PL designations. We have Obverse PL why not Reverse PL?

I'm not a Morgan dollar expert but I'll start: The first I ever heard of PL coins (late 60's early 70's) was when I saw Al Johnbriar (RIP) going through Joe Gallo's (RIP) rolls of Morgan's and paying a little more for the PL coins. PL and Semi-PL were used for many years. Then, the big grading companies added DMPL and Semi-PL was dropped. At least one TPGS brought back the Semi-PL designation although I've been told that a Semi-PL does not bring more value to a coin. It would be educational for Silver dollar experts to post the timeline for all these designations.

Comments

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

I remember David Hall proselytizing the dangers of 1 sided PLs to investors in the early 80s.

Not necessarily an answer to your question just a little extra piece of the story.

• Options
    TypekatTypekat Posts: 198 ✭✭✭

Good question!
    All I can contribute is that Semi-PL was never used as a designation by PCGS or NGC.
    Also, that back in the 60’s and 70’s there were a few pioneering dealers (many in the western US) who set their own standards and sold accordingly.
    To your last point, I would say that even though semi-PL status is not ‘officially’ recognized, many collectors DO value that ‘look’ and sometimes cameo-ish contrast as opposed to a satiny lustre.

30+ years coin shop experience (ret.) Coins, bullion, currency, scrap & interesting folks. Loved every minute!

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't recall anything. However, this is from an article written by Randy Campbell.

I found the Greysheet / CDN when it changed the category name from proof like to DMPL - Nov 17, 1989.
    Not sure that it worth much.

This is a paragraph from a Wayne Miller section:
    "Although fully prooflike dollars are readily distinguishable from the more common frosty-luster specimens, this difference was not articulated until the early 1960's. Dean Tavenner, then proprietor of the Cartwheel in Missoula, Montana , is believed to have been the first major dealer to publish a separate price listing for prooflike silver dollars."

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭

Wow, look at those prices during the Coin Bubble. :o

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file