Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Charmy's February 2024 LONG BEACH EXPO COIN SHOW REPORT w/lots of Pics!

ThePennyLadyThePennyLady Posts: 4,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Once again, another Long Beach show has come and gone. For me, this show in particular seemed to fly by, from set up to tear down. I always look forward to and enjoy participating in the Long Beach Expo as I have many local friends and customers who stop by to see me. Although this show was well attended and we were very busy, I think partly due to the economy, retail business for me and several other dealers I spoke with was not as active as in past shows. However, I think everyone will agree that the buying side of our business was very active at this show.

As many of you know, a huge storm was set to hit California right during the Long Beach show. Luckily, it didn't begin until after set up day! At the last show, my boothmate Rich and I discovered that it was much easier to unload and pack my one cartload out in front of the show across from the parking structure and enter through the front door, rather than arrive a couple hours early and wait in line to get in and unload in the loading dock area. So thank goodness it wasn't raining during this unloading process!

Once inside, I found that I was the first dealer in line, so while Rich waited with my cart, I ventured downstairs to the trading room and did some early buying.

As it got closer to time for the doors to open to the dealers, there were quite a few dealers in the registration line and waiting by the doors to be let in.

My buddy James Sego also waiting for set up time

The Long Beach Expo was celebrating it's "diamond" anniversary and had silver glitter decorations and balloons all around, especially at the entrance.

When the doors opened for the dealers since Rich and I were first in line, it was pretty eerie to be the very first person on the bourse floor!

This is what our booth looked like before we unloaded and settled in (since I am an advertiser/sponsor, they give us a special banner).

Now all set up (including my boothmate Rich's case on the end of the front table)

Once my booth was set up, I walked around the show looking for want list items and coins for my inventory. In addition to several coins I bought at the trading room, I also bought these certified and raw Pretty Pennies throughout the show.

I was especially happy to add this beautifully iridescent toned 1955/55 DDO Lincoln Cent PCGS MS64 BN to my inventory!

Soon it was time to open one of the bottles of wine I had brought with me. I recently joined a new winery in Temecula called Doffo. The owner has several very cool vintage motorcycles displayed at the winery (which my non-wine drinking off-road motorcycle loving hubby appreciated). To me, their wine is one of the better wines in Temecula.

That night for dinner, a group of us went across the street to PF Changs for dinner. We all enjoyed the evening and the mai tais and food were good but I forgot to take photos!

Thursday morning we left for the show early as usual (Rich and I carpool) but, boy, was it raining pretty hard. We soon found out that the 710 Long Beach freeway off the 5 was partly flooded and everyone was being diverted off the freeway around the flooded area which created a very slow crawl. What normally takes us about 40 minutes took us over 2 hours to get to the show! Here are photos of the flooded areas.

The show opened at 10am on Thursday (the first public day), but we finally got to the show at 10:30, so we had to scramble to get my booth opened and ready for business (I am uncomfortable having no one at my booth once the public is let in). I was hoping the rain wouldn't keep the public away, and it seemed it didn't since the show soon was very busy with lots of buzz.

My good dealer friend Bob Holston was one of the first people to stop by - he even brought me this wonderful bottle of Justin Isosceles cab - he's such a sweetheart!

Another dealer friend stopped by and showed me this interesting plaque of Lincoln he just won in an auction. He said it was a replica of the design created by Victor D. Brenner for the Lincoln cent.

My friend Alan Weinberg who collects all kinds of Americana, especially certain political memorabilia brought over a couple very interesting and scarce items he had just bought at the show. Even though the holder states the peace medal is a "restrike," Alan believes the holder is in error.

He also picked up this very rare 1901 ribbon for McKinley's Veterans of the Mexican War reception.

That afternoon I opened the other bottle of wine I had brought to the show - a Cab Franc from my favorite Napa vineyard, Del Dotto.

That night me, Rich, my friend Matt Chapman and Rick Snow went to Captain Jack's restaurant on PCH in Seal Beach, about a half hour south of Long Beach.

They are known for their fresh and amazing seafood, especially their crab. The meals were absolutely delicious!

It's a popular restaurant for other dealers from the show as well. Here is a group of folks from Stacks Bowers and Curt Mease from PCGS in the other room.

Thank goodness the rain had ended and Friday was clear and dry with no freeway flooding issues!

Just inside the entrance, each morning the Expo folks had carts of breakfast pastries for the dealers, this time there were various types of delicious scones

I took a few minutes to take some photos around the bourse - here are a couple of the beautiful ladies at PCGS

The PCGS Submission Lounge

Great Collections

GreatCollections' very popular calendars!

David McCarthy working hard!

Very friendly representatives from Westgate Resorts (Las Vegas)

The U.S. Mint and their newest products for sale

PSA Representatives

Memory Lane, a local sports and entertainment memorabilia company

The kids' Treasure Hunt table

A very popular table for collectors to visit!

One of my - and many others - favorite early copper dealers, Tom Reynolds

Americana Rare Coin out of Sacramento

Brian and Tom of Northeast Numismatics

My booth neighbors, Real American Treasure, have displays of old and rare PCGS and NGC slabs and memorabilia, including a very rare first generation NGC Styrofoam slab box which could hold exactly 13 slabs

This enthusiastic adorable young man came by my table to ask me about a penny collection given to him by his grandfather, and to fill some holes.

My good friend Matt Chapman showed me an AMAZING 1806 Half Cent error that was double struck rotated with a huge lamination (not a strike through as stated on the holder) he had just purchased for his collection!

Another good friend and customer of mine who collects PCGS AU58 Indian cents, including many varieties, showed me this very scarce 1888/7 (Snow 1) Indian cent from his collection in a PCGS AU55+ holder (which he tried to upgrade at the show). I've NEVER seen another PCGS AU55+ grade in any type of coin before, and couldn't understand why PCGS wouldn't have just given the coin a regular AU58 grade.

Pics from around the bourse

My awesome webmaster, Ryan Delane, stopped by for a brief visit!

Lil ol' me!

Friday night Rich and I and our foreign coin dealer friends, Karl and Joanne, went to a wonderful Rombauer wine tasting dinner at L'Opera just up the hill from the convention center.

Of course, since I'm already a member of Rombauer (and have been for about 20 years), I absolutely love their wine - and the various courses of food were also delicious (since I'm not a fan of lamb, they substituted filet for me!

Saturday morning before the show opened to the public, I took time to view the very cool antique arms and other pirate treasure collection on display near the front of the room. Wow - there were some fantastic antique guns in this collection!

If I have someone helping me at my table, I usually participate in the kids' treasure trivia hunt whenever I can, and the Long Beach Expo's kids' event is very popular and very well attended (there were so many kids participating that I ran out of the penny packets I created). Here is a group of young cub scouts who stopped by for their coin trivia question.

Soon it was time to pack up and head home. My hubby and of course Penny were there waiting for me!

Overall, as I mentioned, the show was a great buying show, but the retail side was slow. In any event, as always, I had a great time and very much enjoyed being at this show. The entire Long Beach Expo folks really do work hard to make sure all the dealers have what they need, and that the public has a good time at the show with various drawings, interesting displays, and special events. By the way, the dealers noticed that security was much more visible at this show, including more police officers walking the show. It also looked like there were more security guards or at least more security guards in uniform. We dealers are very appreciative of this! And I at least didn't hear about any theft issues at this show.

That's about it. Next up - the McIntosh show in Sacramento, followed by the Buena Park show!

Charmy HarkerThe Penny Lady®

Comments

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed the recap. Your cat always looks mad in your final picture. I sense she is upset you left her again. Our cat sometimes had the same look when we returned home after leaving for awhile.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 4:32PM

Nice report.

Note that the Lincoln plaque you photographed is a smaller version of Brenner's first plaque which is different than the actual coins. There are differences in the outline shape of the beard, and the coat and bowtie are different.

This Brenner medal matches the portrait on the issued coins:

PS:
    I have seen some apparent "re-casts" of the large Brenner plaque.
    But the one I show above is a genuine original.

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,148 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe that the 1806 half cent label is correct (strike-through, not delamination).

But there is a separate discussion thread about it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13662755

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report charmy, love the 1806 half cent 👍

• Options
    CharlotteDudeCharlotteDude Posts: 2,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. I always look forward to your show follow-ups!

Got Crust....y gold?
  • Options
    CoinbertCoinbert Posts: 55 ✭✭✭

Thank you for the great show report.

• Options
    FrazFraz Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you. Great material. I admire the consistency in the reports as well as your reliability for creating them.
    Can I be your caddie?

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 6, 2024 6:47AM

Great summmary, PL. Nice pics, excellent review of the LB show. :)

So you thought activity was DOWN from previous Long Beach shows...do you think this is something new, or have you seen this before (especially relative to FUN which you extolled last month) ? I'm wondering if it could just be a blip specific to Long Beach that could reverse with the next show.

• Options
    horseyridehorseyride Posts: 142 ✭✭✭

Thank! Mostly I am amazed you have to be "subscribed" to a vineyard to get bottles. Who knew?

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report as usual. This rain has been brutal. At least it's ending sometime today.

• Options
    littlebearlittlebear Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you or the awesome report!

Autism Awareness: There is no limit to the good you can do, if you don't care who gets the credit.
  • Options
    redraiderredraider Posts: 137 ✭✭✭✭

I love the Lincoln Plaques! Here is mine, mounted on the green marble you see quite often. It is my only transition from numismatics into the collectible art realm!

• Options
    InlanderInlander Posts: 81 ✭✭✭

Thanks for posting! I especially enjoyed the antique arms and pirate treasure collection. B)

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks.

ttt

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Charmy for another great show report.
    You seem to have picked up another liking to go along with your coin pick ups, wines and food.
    That being the tools of the pirate's trade.
    What a fantastic display.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for another great show report.

• Options
    shortnockshortnock Posts: 383 ✭✭✭

Nice tour of the show. Fine photos.

• Options
    bigmarty58bigmarty58 Posts: 2,001 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the great report.

Enthusiastic collector of British pre-decimal and Canadian decimal circulation coins.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonderful report! Wish I could have made this one, rain or no rain. Love Long Beach.

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

@BLUEJAYWAY said:
    Enjoyed the recap. Your cat always looks mad in your final picture. I sense she is upset you left her again. Our cat sometimes had the same look when we returned home after leaving for awhile.

Whenever I take her pic, she puts her ears back which makes her look angry, but let's go with that she didn't like me being gone! ;-)

• Options

@dcarr said:
    Nice report.

Note that the Lincoln plaque you photographed is a smaller version of Brenner's first plaque which is different than the actual coins. There are differences in the outline shape of the beard, and the coat and bowtie are different.

PS:
    I have seen some apparent "re-casts" of the large Brenner plaque.
    But the one I show above is a genuine original.

Thanks for the clarification of the plaques, I have seen the different versions over the years.

• Options

@dcarr said:
    I believe that the 1806 half cent label is correct (strike-through, not delamination).

But there is a separate discussion thread about it:
    https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/comment/13662755

Thanks for posting Matt's thread, it's a very interesting discussion

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    Great summmary, PL. Nice pics, excellent review of the LB show. :)

So you thought activity was DOWN from previous Long Beach shows...do you think this is something new, or have you seen this before (especially relative to FUN which you extolled last month) ? I'm wondering if it could just be a blip specific to Long Beach that could reverse with the next show.

I don't think any show can be compared to the FUN show, it has a lot of different aspects that help make it successful. For me, the Long Beach show is usually a very successful show, but I think the economy plays a part in retail business at the show, as well as some wholesale business. California tax issues are also a huge deterrent to out of state dealers (and some collectors).

• Options

@horseyride said:
    Thank! Mostly I am amazed you have to be "subscribed" to a vineyard to get bottles. Who knew?

In general, you definitely don't have to be a member of a winery to purchase their wine. But being a member gets you discounted prices, automatic wine shipments, and free wine tasting. Temecula is not too far for me so I enjoy going to the two wineries I am a member at to pick up my wine "shipments" and take advantage of the free tastings.

• Options
    knovak1976knovak1976 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭
    edited February 7, 2024 12:12PM

Brilliant recap…excellent photos! Now I have to find me one of those Regency holders without having to take out a second mortgage on my home to pay for it….😉

• Options
    coinhackcoinhack Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭

Thank you, Penny Lady. I always enjoy your show reports and getting a little insight into the shows.

• Options
    Tom147Tom147 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭

As usual, excellent report. AND, as usual, love the food pictures.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks Charmy!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    CoinlearnerCoinlearner Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the nice show report and all the pictures.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

Charmy, these reports are always fantastic. Never stop doing them! :)

• Options
    SouthcountySouthcounty Posts: 639 ✭✭✭✭

Great report, the photo of the old Styrofoam NGC box, which I have only seen one other, and the early holders was awesome.

• Options
    PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 5,179 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for sharing!!!

Coin collecting interests: Latin American early pillar 1 reales

Sports: NFL & NHL

Successful Transactions with the following board members: Pruebas & SimonW

• Options
    etexmikeetexmike Posts: 6,799 ✭✭✭

Have always enjoyed reading your show reports and all the pics you include.
    Thanks for the post.

etexmike

• Options
    cmerlo1cmerlo1 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report as always! We had dinner at L'Opera when I worked the Long Beach show for ANACS back in June, and it was really good.

You Suck! Awarded 6/2008- 1901-O Micro O Morgan, 8/2008- 1878 VAM-123 Morgan, 9/2022 1888-O VAM-1B3 H8 Morgan | Senior Regional Representative- ANACS Coin Grading. Posted opinions on coins are my own, and are not an official ANACS opinion.
  • Options
    pointfivezeropointfivezero Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great show report, Charmy. I thought I missed the show this year until your post. Seth also posted many dealers felt it was a lightly attended show by collectors. Perhaps the weather reports scared a few people off.

I love Captain Jacks but backing out of their parking lot onto the PCH at night is a suicide mission.

Tim

• Options
    PizzamanPizzaman Posts: 226 ✭✭✭

How was the attendance there this year? I mean with the climate change and all the storms. They don't have the drainage systems we in the Midwest have, that's why all that standing water. Pretty spectacular pictures of it.

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

It was awesome to finally meet you. I'm very happy with the S-VDB.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file