Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

m

2»

Comments

• Options
    ColonialcoinColonialcoin Posts: 628 ✭✭✭✭

I have zero issues with Heritage. They have been terrific to me since day one. Also a shoutout to Jim Halperin who has always helped me whenever I needed information on a particular item. I’m small potatoes compared to others here yet he treats me with the utmost respect.

• Options
    jkrkjkrk Posts: 972 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like pre bidding.

I often have an interest in 10-20 coins in the auction. If I see the internet bidding prices a coin higher than I am prepared to pay, I then can cross off many coins on my list.

IN addition, the final price gives me a second chance to consider whether I want to raise my limit on a particular coin.

• Options
    jt88jt88 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is just a user error, op did not understand how auction works.

• Options
    silviosisilviosi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

From more then 20 years I have been on auction by internet. Never have problems. HA it is one of the bests of the bests. The OP has no idea of how it works, Hope for him this post teach him alot.

PS: The most fascinated bids are when you are in the room.

NEVER ARGUE WITH AN IDIOT.FIRST THEY WILL DRAG YOU DOWN TO THEIR LEVEL.THEN, THEY WILL BEAT YOU WITH EXPERIENCE. MARK TWAIN

• Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lest we forget Teletrade.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2024 11:52PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    THERE ISN'T AN INTERNET AUCTION. There's a live auction (in-person or on the internet) that is preceded by a pre-> bidding period. I'm sorry, but this rant is ridiculous.

I think he was just confused. It took me a while to understand how it works. Since then, I've won a few coins and more currency auctions....I tend to get beaten easily in the coin bidding where there is apparently many more bidders.

I look at the internet bidding only period as like the first 3 quarters of an NFL game. The real action is in the 4th quarter when the live auction hits and/or the actual HA auctioners are visible. :)

I remember when I was at FUN 2020 and in the audience for the auction on the Duckor 1927-D Saint and then was able to see the actual auction as seen by folks bidding or watching online. I can't recall exactly, but I believe the bidding was at about $1.2 MM for a week or so leading up to FUN...it wasn't moving....then they continued it live from that point and it moved to just past $2 MM including the BP.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erwindoc said:
    I was reminded last night of why I hate their auctions. I can research my bid and place it. Sometimes I am fortunate enough to win the internet auction, sometimes not. I was lucky to be the top bidder on 2 nice coins last night, well above my max bids at the conclusion of the internet auction. However, the rant for the day is that after their internet auction, they hold a live auction. I was outbid last night after winning the internet auction. What is the point of the internet auction if you have a live auction afterwards! :s

Sorry, rant over!

If you submit a bid before the live auction, yes you will probably be outbid. If you really want a coin, you MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE LIVE AUCTION. This is nothing more than being on line and follow the live bidding and when the coin you want comes up, either bid more or watch it go away or get it for you pre-live auction bid you put in.

I really hate to say this, but my wife has the worse computer karma on earth, but she knows how all the auctions work and is able to get her coin. Sometimes she bitches up a storm because a coin went for a lot more than PCGS Price Guide.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,746 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:

@erwindoc said:
    I was reminded last night of why I hate their auctions. I can research my bid and place it. Sometimes I am fortunate enough to win the internet auction, sometimes not. I was lucky to be the top bidder on 2 nice coins last night, well above my max bids at the conclusion of the internet auction. However, the rant for the day is that after their internet auction, they hold a live auction. I was outbid last night after winning the internet auction. What is the point of the internet auction if you have a live auction afterwards! :s

Sorry, rant over!

If you submit a bid before the live auction, yes you will probably be outbid. If you really want a coin, you MUST PARTICIPATE IN THE LIVE AUCTION. This is nothing more than being on line and follow the live bidding and when the coin you want comes up, either bid more or watch it go away or get it for you pre-live auction bid you put in.

I really hate to say this, but my wife has the worse computer karma on earth, but she knows how all the auctions work and is able to get her coin. Sometimes she bitches up a storm because a coin went for a lot more than PCGS Price Guide.

Not true. All my Heritage wins are from the pre-bidding period. I don't even show up for 90% of the live auctions.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@Herb_T said:

@erwindoc said:

Sorry, rant over!

Not true. All my Heritage wins are from the pre-bidding period. I don't even show up for 90% of the live auctions.

Said Mr. Deal or it's No Deal.

• Options
    edited February 6, 2024 7:15AM

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Herb_T said:

@erwindoc said:

Sorry, rant over!

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. But I bid my max, wholesale or retail, and just walk away. You can't snipe a real auction because there's no clock. The winner is always the person who is willing to pay the most.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    The winner is always the person who is willing to pay the most.

Hate to split hairs here like you always do 😆 but this is not always the case. People tend to stretch a little farther during a live auction, and if that person is unavailable, things can fall through the cracks. Not everyone is comfortable putting in a nuclear bid pre- live auction, or even bids that they are willing to pay but would prefer not to.

Also, and I've had this happen many times at Stacks, there are glitches during the live auction and the lot is sold for less than I'd pay. Two or three times my "bid" button simply disappeared, saving me from myself. 😆

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DCW said:
    @jmlanzaf said:

Hate to split hairs here like you always do 😆 but this is not always the case. People tend to stretch a little farther during a live auction, and if that person is unavailable, things can fall through the cracks. Not everyone is comfortable putting in a nuclear bid pre- live auction, or even bids that they are willing to pay but would prefer not to.

Also, and I've had this happen many times at Stacks, there are glitches during the live auction and the lot is sold for less than I'd pay. Two or three times my "bid" button simply disappeared, saving me from myself. 😆

I meant to put in a nuke bid on a Steve Hayden R10 token a few weeks ago. Unfortunately I got distracted and didn’t get it in - my modest winning bid from a day prior was outbid by multiple bidders. Who knows if I would have won, but it certainly would have sold for a lot more. I’ll be lucky to ever get another shot at it.

• Options

@DCW said:
    @jmlanzaf said:

That is really splitting hairs, far more so than I would ever do. Congratulations! 😉

Sure, if the person who wanted to pay more isn't there, died last week or is otherwise not available...

The point I was trying to (apparently) so inelegantly is that there is no advantage to timing your bid. You sort of proved the point with your internet glitch. That would never happen to my pre-bid. There are hundreds of times every year when no one in the live auction is willing to go higher than me. So, to the post I was responding to, you do NOT have to be in the line auction to win.

I just got 53 comics from an auction, none were live bids.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DisneyFan said:

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. But I bid my max, wholesale or retail, and just walk away. You can't snipe a real auction because there's no clock. The winner is always the person who is willing to pay the most.

It means you want to get a "deal," otherwise there is no deal. :smile:

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Morgan13 said:
    I've always been a bit apprehensive about putting a max bid while logged on to someone's website. Not heritage per say but anyone. They must be able to see how much your willing to bid. I don't like the idea of that.

I usually just start my bidding at 80 or 90% of my maximum but sometimes drop out immediately if outbid. It scares most bidders away. I would never divulge my maximum before or after the fact just as I wouldn't show any hand at poker unless called.

The in person bidders have the advantage of being able to see the coin so you're at a disadvantage anyway online.

Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

Live internet bidding has a couple of dangers, especially if you don't have the best internet connection.....

That's why, when it's an expensive "must have" lot for me, I call the auction house and arrange for live phone bidding. It's just one more layer of coverage.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@DisneyFan said:

It means you want to get a "deal," otherwise there is no deal. :smile:

I understand the literal interpretation. It's the subtext in not sure about.

I have a max which might possibly be higher than your max. I just don't feel the need to be drawn into going over that max.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@DisneyFan said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@Herb_T said:

@erwindoc said:

Sorry, rant over!

I do that all the time. put in my max bid and forget about it. Actually why I do that because I don't want the coin sell cheap so I bid it up to help HA but sometime I ended up getting the coin. LOL

• Options

I also find out live bid you end up over pay most of the time. That's why live bid is not always a good idea.

• Options
    TimNHTimNH Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

I like HA and have bought numerous coins there, but it has one weird glitch - during the live auction you bid by clicking a 'next increment' button, you never type in a number. But the amount of that next increment can change one trillionth of a second before your click goes in, so you might end up bidding an increment or 2 higher than when your brain said 'click'. Weird.

• Options

@jt88 said:
    I also find out live bid you end up over pay most of the time. That's why live bid is not always a good idea.

Yes. I think pre-bidding helps you maintain discipline. You don't get caught up in the competition.

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TimNH said:
    I like HA and have bought numerous coins there, but it has one weird glitch - during the live auction you bid by clicking a 'next increment' button, you never type in a number. But the amount of that next increment can change one trillionth of a second before your click goes in, so you might end up bidding an increment or 2 higher than when your brain said 'click'. Weird.

I’m quite sure this is by design. In fact, I believe it used to be the other way where the bid button had a specific amount you were bidding if you clicked it. And they did away with that.

• Options

@jt88 said:

I do that all the time. put in my max bid and forget about it. Actually why I do that because I don't want the coin sell cheap so I bid it up to help HA but sometime I ended up getting the coin. LOL

Hopefully you like the coin.

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

n

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,020 ✭✭✭✭✭

z

I don't mind pulp in my juice.

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 574 ✭✭✭✭✭

q

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having a set figure in auctions is a good policy and is useful to apply to live purchases at shows. Have your number set before the show.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always bid live if I want the coin badly enough.

None of the coins I bid on are easy to buy anywhere else. Most of the coins I buy are concentrated in one broader series and the coin is the only comparable or one of a very few I have seen.

• Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭

Isn't that like winning a playoff game and then wondering why you did not get the Lombardi Trophy?

• Options

@RYK said:
    Isn't that like winning a playoff game and then wondering why you did not get the Lombardi Trophy?

It's more like doing the pre-game and going home before kick-off

• Options
    Manifest_DestinyManifest_Destiny Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file