Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Elizabeth I Martlet Shilling

I know nothing about English coins. How is this Elizabeth I martlet shilling. Condition, value ? It is straight and looks to be a good strike

Comments

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a fantastic example.

• Options
    Apollo_23Apollo_23 Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

@bronzemat said:
    It's a fantastic example.

Great to know. Again not knowing anything about these I did buy it. Seller said it was AU. That's subjective but it's very straight. I saw AU go for Over $1000 which I was under that.

• Options

Not sure if I would call it AU, more like extremely fine. Still, great example.

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    Not sure if I would call it AU, more like extremely fine. Still, great example.

I appreciate your feedback.

• Options

I would like to submit this for grading. In everyone's opinion, which company is best for this coin. I have only used PCGS for my US coins and I have seen some of this coin type graded by them but most I saw a of these are graded by NGC

• Options

I'd use NGC.

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    I'd use NGC.

Thanks. I have not received it yet. Before I purchased it I did notice those few black spots on it by her portrait. Will have to wait until I get it to see if it is oxidation. Again collecting these type of coins, not sure if those spots are normally found of these types of coins

• Options

Unsure, the few that I own, don't have them. I don't know if it would be worth using that NGC cleaning service that they have, or not.

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    Unsure, the few that I own, don't have them. I don't know if it would be worth using that NGC cleaning service that they have, or not.

I am going to do that. I never submitted through NGC. I only have the associate level which is fine. I am not sure though which level this coin would fall under

• Options

@Apollo_23 said:

@bronzemat said:

I am going to do that. I never submitted through NGC. I only have the associate level which is fine. I am not sure though which level this coin would fall under

No clue myself. Good luck.

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 793 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd like to have it. :)
    Had to settle on a VF to get a full face Henry VII.

@BillJones Has a nicer one.

• Options

@FrankH said:
    I'd like to have it. :)
    Had to settle on a VF to get a full face Henry VII.

@BillJones Has a nicer one.

I had looked for a while when I purchased it. It was my first hammered English coin and it was one of straighter, clearest pictures and writing I found

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

Nice coin. I have the same coin in my collection.

• Options
    KSorboKSorbo Posts: 104 ✭✭✭

Looks VF35 or XF to me and should straight grade unless there are surface issues that would warrant details. I have one of these certified VF that has a good portrait but lettering not as nice as yours. Most of the ones I see online are details due to scratches and are heavily worn. I think it may have been common practice to test the metal by scratching the coin. Having a well detailed portrait and strong lettering is a real find. Most only have only one or the other or neither.

• Options

@KSorbo said:
    Looks VF35 or XF to me and should straight grade unless there are surface issues that would warrant details. I have one of these certified VF that has a good portrait but lettering not as nice as yours. Most of the ones I see online are details due to scratches and are heavily worn. I think it may have been common practice to test the metal by scratching the coin. Having a well detailed portrait and strong lettering is a real find. Most only have only one or the other or neither.

Now I don't have it yet but showed it to my LCS in town and he said if it truly looked like it does in the pictures he believes at min VF as well but can see it as a high XF. He also said these or hammered coins are tricky. Again, this is my first but he said he has seen crappy looking ones grade out as AU and vice versa just depends on who is grading it. I am just excited to have it in my collection!!!

• Options
    ClioClio Posts: 490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely coin you have. I certainly wouldn't attempt any sort of conservation, the coin is great as-is. I suspect it would grade XF.

https://numismaticmuse.com/ My Web Gallery

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

@Clio said:
    Lovely coin you have. I certainly wouldn't attempt any sort of conservation, the coin is great as-is. I suspect it would grade XF.

Thanks. The guy I purchased it from still has not shipped it 3 days later!! Hope he is not having second thoughts but I did speak to him and said he would get it out today. He created the label an hour after I purchased it but has not dropped it off.

• Options

Ahhhhhh it shipped finally. Will be here Saturday!! Have not been this excited about a coin coming in a while!

• Options

@Apollo_23 said:
    Ahhhhhh it shipped finally. Will be here Saturday!! Have not been this excited about a coin coming in a while!

Take your own pics, and post them, if you can.

• Options

@bronzemat said:

@Apollo_23 said:

Take your own pics, and post them, if you can.

I will do that for sure.

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 458 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice example, with nice details on the bust and dress. These areas are often weakly struck on Elizabeth I shillings.
    Your example seems to be an exception.
    Looking forward to the pictures once you have it in-hand.

My examples are both weaker and worn on the bust.

• Options

@Eddi said:
    That is a nice example, with nice details on the bust and dress. These areas are often weakly struck on Elizabeth I shillings.
    Your example seems to be an exception.
    Looking forward to the pictures once you have it in-hand.

My examples are both weaker and worn on the bust.

Thank you. It will be here this morning!! I really hope it is exactly as it looked in the pictures!!

• Options

She is here!!!!! Beautiful!! These were quick pictures.

• Options

Fantastic, and honestly, those carbon spots are not that bad. I would leave it alone.

This is mine:

Elizabeth I (1558 - 1603 A.D.)
    AR Shilling
    O: (key) ELIZAB’· D’· G’· ANG’· FR’· ET : HIB’· REGI, crowned and mantled bust left (bust 6B).
    R: (key) POSVI DEV’· AD IVTORE M · MEV’·, coat-of-arms over long cross fourchée.
    Sixth coinage. Tower (London) mint; im: key. Struck 1595-1598 AD
    31mm
    5.81g
    North 2014; SCBC 2577

• Options

@bronzemat said:
    Fantastic, and honestly, those carbon spots are not that bad. I would leave it alone.

This is mine:

Elizabeth I (1558 - 1603 A.D.)
    AR Shilling
    O: (key) ELIZAB’· D’· G’· ANG’· FR’· ET : HIB’· REGI, crowned and mantled bust left (bust 6B).
    R: (key) POSVI DEV’· AD IVTORE M · MEV’·, coat-of-arms over long cross fourchée.
    Sixth coinage. Tower (London) mint; im: key. Struck 1595-1598 AD
    31mm
    5.81g
    North 2014; SCBC 2577

Thanks. Need to send it off to NGC for grading !!

• Options

Does anyone here know how to submit this coin to NGC. Not sure what to put in the boxes.

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭

@Apollo_23 those old hammered coins are a treat to hold and fascinating to think about their past. It’s a whole different world of collecting-most of these were recovered from some field after being buried for a century or two so they will look like road kill. The better they look obviously affects the price. Another factor is provenance (who had it before you) which is important. None of mine are graded and when you shop them many are not. Don’t be in a rush to grade, take your time and research them. Get as much info as possible from the seller.

Couple of places to look - Hammeredbritishcoins.com and Coins of Britain - they have a nice selection and are honest and knowledgeable. I’ve done a bit of business with the first one and always been happy.

• Options

@Orlena said:
    @Apollo_23 those old hammered coins are a treat to hold and fascinating to think about their past. It’s a whole different world of collecting-most of these were recovered from some field after being buried for a century or two so they will look like road kill. The better they look obviously affects the price. Another factor is provenance (who had it before you) which is important. None of mine are graded and when you shop them many are not. Don’t be in a rush to grade, take your time and research them. Get as much info as possible from the seller.

Couple of places to look - Hammeredbritishcoins.com and Coins of Britain - they have a nice selection and are honest and knowledgeable. I’ve done a bit of business with the first one and always been happy.

Turth, same can be said for Ancient Coins, too.

• Options

@Orlena said:

I asked the seller and he told me his uncle found it in the UK, renovating his house under a floor board. Pretty cool story though. Maybe that's why it is in good shape

• Options
    OrlenaOrlena Posts: 300 ✭✭✭
    edited February 10, 2024 2:16PM

Great story and part of the charm - getting it slabbed will do nothing to that tale. It is in very nice shape.

In that era banks were not as common so maybe someone hid it there along with a few others for security……

• Options

@Orlena said:
    Great story and part of the charm - getting it slabbed will do nothing to that tale. It is in very nice shape.

In that era banks were not as common so maybe someone hid it there along with a few others for security……

No it won't but it will protect it. Supposed to anyway

• Options

Great example! some really great obverse detail. A nice acquisition, to be sure.

I predict that pretty soon you will be wanting to expand your Tudor collection - (that is what happened to me :) )

• Options

@Eddi said:
    Great example! some really great obverse detail. A nice acquisition, to be sure.

I predict that pretty soon you will be wanting to expand your Tudor collection - (that is what happened to me :) )

I think so too!! I am jealous of the people in the UK that can just go outside and find these in the ground, metal detecting. Although I knew someone that found one in the ground here in the states, that rarely happens!!

• Options

@Apollo_23 said:

Great looking coin! Love it.

This is a picture of my own I have. Graded PCGS AU55

The best collecting goals lie right on the border between the possible and the impossible. - Andy Lustig, "MrEureka"

• Options

@Clio said:

@Apollo_23 said:

Great looking coin! Love it.

This is a picture of my own I have. Graded PCGS AU55

Nice. I sent mine out already to NGC. Gets there this morning.

• Options

@Apollo_23 said:

@Eddi said:

I think so too!! I am jealous of the people in the UK that can just go outside and find these in the ground, metal detecting. Although I knew someone that found one in the ground here in the states, that rarely happens!!

That is one of the advantages of living in 'very small but very old' countries, like most of Europe. Just about everywhere you go your are bound to find something old, since we don't have the vast expanses of land with relatively new and sparse history like you guys do in the U.S.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 17, 2024 9:18AM

I was very happy to find this one at the 2023 Winter FUN show. These coins are often weak in the centers.

This is off-topic because it's a six pence. Although it was sort of a duplicate, I could resist buying this one.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

@BillJones said:
    I was very happy to find this one at the 2023 Winter FUN show. These coins are often weak in the centers.

That's a nice example. Mine it at NGC waiting to be opened but they are about 2 weeks behind. My wife paid for the express service so once they open it, it should come back quickly.

• Options

I got the grade, if anyone cares to take a guess

• Options

I maintain my original guess at XF. Let's say XF40.

• Options

@Clio said:
    I maintain my original guess at XF. Let's say XF40.

It is not a XF40

• Options

XF45. Better than I thought I would get

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice! Same variety as the NGC AU58 I used to have (sold it in January)

• Options

@Rexford said:

Now that must of fetched a nice amount of coin!!! Beautiful

• Options
    RexfordRexford Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Apollo_23 said:

@Rexford said:

Now that must of fetched a nice amount of coin!!! Beautiful

Indeed, thanks.

• Options

@Apollo_23 said:

I was not far off. Congrats!

• Options
    BSmithBSmith Posts: 141 ✭✭✭

@Apollo_23 said:

Congrats on the grade. Here's mine I plan on getting it graded later this year.