Home U.S. Coin Forum

R10 1830 unique coin variety dime listed on eBay - legit?

There is a someone with an advert who is selling a very worn dime with an unusual mint error. I have tried to look and see if this error is real. Can't find any other examples. What do you think.. have screenshots of the coin.


Comments

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Welcome to the forum.

    It might help if you’d specify the claimed error. I don’t see anything in the pictures that would add value to the coin, though I do see issues that would lower the value.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • The coin in the 10 c seems to be an over value, could it be 0 over C , 9 or a small o?? Difficult to tell. It's definitely an error. Not sure if others are out there. You would have to send it off to the professionals to get seen by them. They will know if it's a know variety.

    What you have to imagine is that a specific die would have created the under layer before being restamped. So in essence this coin could be unique!!! Could be worth alot more than a dime... 🤣🤣🤣

  • Of you look at the 1817/4 Half dollar of which there are 12 known examples. They go fortune. It's in poor condition but if it is unique does that lower the value?

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 5:57AM

    @Historical_numi said:
    Of you look at the 1817/4 Half dollar of which there are 12 known examples. They go fortune. It's in poor condition but if it is unique does that lower the value?

    Condition most certainly matters, as do the type of error or variety and demand for it.
    I seriously doubt that what you’re seeing on this coin is unique or of significant value.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • I totally agree on condition, if there are many of the same variety. However if it is the only known example I would assume it's value is unlimited.. For example the 1817/4 half dollar even in F15 sold recently for $211,000 at legendary rare coins. And there are 12 known examples. This coin doesn't look like it has any others on PCGS or the NGC population reports. These kind of mint errors real do attract interest. Anyway it's upto the market to decide it's value.

  • UltraHighReliefUltraHighRelief Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭✭✭

    More like R-1 than R-10....

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Historical_numi said:
    The coin in the 10 c seems to be an over value, could it be 0 over C , 9 or a small o?? Difficult to tell. It's definitely an error. Not sure if others are out there. You would have to send it off to the professionals to get seen by them. They will know if it's a know variety.

    What you have to imagine is that a specific die would have created the under layer before being restamped. So in essence this coin could be unique!!! Could be worth alot more than a dime... 🤣🤣🤣

    If it is a 0 over 9 it would be a variety not an error and it would also not be unique.

    Most errors are unique but that doesn't give them unlimited value.

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @Historical_numi said:
    The coin in the 10 c seems to be an over value, could it be 0 over C , 9 or a small o?? Difficult to tell. It's definitely an error. Not sure if others are out there. You would have to send it off to the professionals to get seen by them. They will know if it's a know variety.

    What you have to imagine is that a specific die would have created the under layer before being restamped. So in essence this coin could be unique!!! Could be worth alot more than a dime... 🤣🤣🤣

    If it is a 0 over 9 it would be a variety not an error and it would also not be unique.

    Most errors are unique but that doesn't give them unlimited value.

    Never mind not giving them unlimited value, in many cases, it doesn’t give them any appreciable added value.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 12:19PM


    I doubt it is a 0 over something like a 9.
    That would likely be a known JR variety,
    and there is no 9 punch used on the 1830 dime.

    More likely it is damage caused by something like a nail or drill bit in an attempt to make a hole there.
    This can raise a circle of metal, and then some circulation wear will flatten it.
    Applying some acetone might remove the black dirt from the 0 and reveal a deep pit from such a nail.

  • RLSnapperRLSnapper Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I am sure one of our Bust Dime experts could shed some light on this. To my eye it is pretty obvious that something is going on underneath the 0 in 10. New varieties of coins in certain series are occasionally found.....my guess is a naked eye variety like this would have been noticed before.....that being said stranger things have happened ...Sacagawea Mule for instance. If that coin had been posted first here in this forum it would surely have been called a fake. Let's not be so dismissive until we have some additional detective work.

  • MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 3, 2024 12:50PM

    @RLSnapper said:
    I am sure one of our Bust Dime experts could shed some light on this. To my eye it is pretty obvious that something is going on underneath the 0 in 10. New varieties of coins in certain series are occasionally found.....my guess is a naked eye variety like this would have been noticed before.....that being said stranger things have happened ...Sacagawea Mule for instance. If that coin had been posted first here in this forum it would surely have been called a fake. Let's not be so dismissive until we have some additional detective work.

    If you haven’t already done so, I hope you will read the post above yours.
    Any dismissiveness expressed here pertained to the “uniqueness”, “R10” rarity or high value of the coin (that was mentioned in comparison to an 1817/4 bust half dollar).

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • FrazFraz Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭✭✭

    OP—an inquiry about a distinctive marks on a coin.

    @Historical_numi said:
    The coin in the 10 c seems to be an over value, could it be 0 over C , 9 or a small o?? Difficult to tell. It's definitely an error. Not sure if others are out there. You would have to send it off to the professionals to get seen by them. They will know if it's a know variety.

    What you have to imagine is that a specific die would have created the under layer before being restamped. So in essence this coin could be unique!!! Could be worth alot more than a dime... 🤣🤣🤣

    Welcome, professionals gave it a good look. A lot did not post. It appears damaged, but then, I lack capacity for such imagination.

  • EastonCollectionEastonCollection Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Judging from the picture - it looks to me like damage and not mint made. I would have to see it in hand to conclude if mint made.

    Easton Collection

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file