Home U.S. Coin Forum

GTG with an old friend - CBH fun - answer in Post #13

pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2, 2024 8:03PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Home recovering from oral surgery this morning ... my brain is just kind of in lala land, but a friend asked me to do a GTG with something (other than a Morgan!). :p

So, this is a coin I have owned for quite a while. Not the most fantastic images, but the are a pretty good representation of the coin.

Want to take a shot at the Grade and if it has a sticker status? Call it out.

Do you know the Die Marriage and the Die State? Show that too.

Thanks for playing!!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

Comments

• HillbillyCollectorHillbillyCollector Posts: 590 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55- no ‘bean’
    Die Marriage & State- You ask and expect too much!😉😂

• KensCoins2287KensCoins2287 Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

I’ll guess AU53 CAC O.102

• SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,473 ✭✭✭✭✭

• BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,156 ✭✭✭

AU53 no sticker. Cool overdate too. It's the 102 die marriage but I believe this is the LDS 'a' die state.

Thanks for sharing!

Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • jughead1893jughead1893 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭✭✭

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU55 here!

Coin Photographer.

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

102 small 8

AU50

Need to my book to see what die state

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50 CAC

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go AU-50, it's got a little wear on it, and Man that is one funky date! I like it!

• jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw an AU-58 today with a similar appearance so I'll go with an AU-55, no sticker!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• scotty4449scotty4449 Posts: 696 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess AU55.

• Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2, 2024 5:06PM

1818/7
    AU55 O-102….

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Without further ado ... and by the way, I believe the coin could have graded 53 and still pulled the bean ,,, but what do I know

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242

I thought about 102a, but the slab photo of the coin is clear what it is whereas the top photo was not……

• Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭✭

😍

BHNC #248 … 130 and counting.

• pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Herb_T said:
    I thought about 102a, but the slab photo of the coin is clear what it is whereas the top photo was not……

Not to debate what can be seen or not, but the 102a distinction is a die break on the Obverse that fills the upper loop of the 8. The 102 does not exhibit this break. I think that is pretty clear, no matter the image (although I do agree that the slab image shows it more clearly).

I mention this as it should be noted for those that study Die States, it is the presence of the feature (whatever it be) and not the completeness of that feature 9however advanced it becomes), that moves the coin into the next Die State. So even a partial break inside the 8 would make this a 102a. I hope that makes sense.

Thank you everyone for playing along. I always like to see how everyone else sees a specific coin.

The 102 is an absolutely funky date, as our friend @Eldorado9 points out. The digit placement is quite wide, with off-putting tilts and funny, almost "cat ear" protrusions off the top of the second 8 (remnants of the 7 under-date).

Todd - BHNC #242
  • jacrispiesjacrispies Posts: 813 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've always liked the extreme and irregular spacing of the date numerals. Great coin, thanks for sharing!

"But seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you" Matthew 6:33. Young fellow suffering from Bust Half fever.
    BHNC #AN-10
    JRCS #1606

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,902 ✭✭✭✭✭

Todd,
    Great coin. Hope all from your surgery went and goes well. Take care.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

My 102a…not nearly as nice as yours!

• semikeycollectorsemikeycollector Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought AU-55.

• johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a decent bust .50, I like 👍

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file