Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

A Small Success

A couple years ago I was looking for a side set, a back-burner if you will. I came here and sought council for what I might venture into.

My goal was to collect something slowly that I didn't know anything about, something that was little researched, and something that I could contribute my time and effort to grow and expand from a numismatic standpoint and from a collecting standpoint.

I ended up taking the recommendation of our very own Andy Lustig, which he probably doesn't recall making, of Bolivian Republic coinage 1827-1863. (Of course he posted an impossible pattern coin...which will likely not come to auction anytime soon.)

Anyway, fast forward a couple/few years, I'm well on my way. I've compiled a number of coins and a lot of information! The more I learn, the more I understand how much there is to learn, and how little information is out there regarding this series, especially the minors.

Anyway, the small success is this coin: Bolivian 2 Soles, 1828, PCGS MS61.

A paltry 61 you say?! Yes. It's the highest graded of the date from ANY grading service. Also it's the only Mint State coin of the date from any service. It's one of just two MS coins certified from the first three years. (The following date, 1830 has lots...which is kinda like that across all denominations. It's the only date that's readily available in almost any grade at almost any time, kinda like Morgans 😂)

As a denomination, 2 soles are quite rare, I would say it's by far the toughest of all the Bolivia Republic denominations. I guess that's why I collect them with extreme prejudice. Anyway, thanks Andy! And thank you forum! For such wonderful support, help and community. This is a great place!

(I've got a Truview coming, stay tuned.)

I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

Comments

  • TomBTomB Posts: 20,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Outstanding!

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • scubafuelscubafuel Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Excellent find. Those are very tough.

  • PillarDollarCollectorPillarDollarCollector Posts: 4,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Congrats SimonW on some beautiful coins!!!

    Interest: Latin American history & coins with an emphasis on colonial coinage from Mexico & Peru

    Sports: NHL & NFL

    Thank you Lord for another beautiful day!!!

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Thanks guys! If anyone has any to share, I'd love to see them!

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Terrific coin-

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The less explored segments can offer some great opportunities plus make the hunt both challenging and exciting. Congrats on a nice find!

  • BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,805 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I didn’t know you were collecting these actively. Cool coin, congrats!

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, it’s been a quiet endeavor, just slowly watching and observing mostly. It’s a very rich area of numismatics that needs much more study. And honestly, for the rarity, these Bolivian minors are SO inexpensive! It makes it fun.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    I collect the 1864-1909 decimal coinage as one of my two secondary collections but don't know much about the pre-decimals.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WCC said:
    I collect the 1864-1909 decimal coinage as one of my two secondary collections but don't know much about the pre-decimals.

    I knew that you collected those. Were you able to add some with the recent Amat collection?

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SimonW said:

    @WCC said:
    I collect the 1864-1909 decimal coinage as one of my two secondary collections but don't know much about the pre-decimals.

    I knew that you collected those. Were you able to add some with the recent Amat collection?

    I haven't seen anything recently I really wanted to buy. I'm most interested in the crown sized Bolivianos and the scarcer dates but both only high quality which must be more than a number on TPG label. As a segment, almost certainly more common than the Bolivar portrait coinage but very few I want to buy.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @WCC said:

    @SimonW said:

    @WCC said:
    I collect the 1864-1909 decimal coinage as one of my two secondary collections but don't know much about the pre-decimals.

    I knew that you collected those. Were you able to add some with the recent Amat collection?

    I haven't seen anything recently I really wanted to buy. I'm most interested in the crown sized Bolivianos and the scarcer dates but both only high quality which must be more than a number on TPG label. As a segment, almost certainly more common than the Bolivar portrait coinage but very few I want to buy.

    I knew you did decimals, but not bolivianos, how long have you collected them?

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very cool!

  • WCCWCC Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @SimonW said:

    @WCC said:

    @SimonW said:

    @WCC said:
    I collect the 1864-1909 decimal coinage as one of my two secondary collections but don't know much about the pre-decimals.

    I knew that you collected those. Were you able to add some with the recent Amat collection?

    I haven't seen anything recently I really wanted to buy. I'm most interested in the crown sized Bolivianos and the scarcer dates but both only high quality which must be more than a number on TPG label. As a segment, almost certainly more common than the Bolivar portrait coinage but very few I want to buy.

    I knew you did decimals, but not bolivianos, how long have you collected them?

    Since around 2000 but I have never made it a priority.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Hope the outcome falls within your expectations. I am trying to decide which image I like the best. I doubt that I will have an opinion without seeing the coin. Your image is excellent...

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @coinkat said:
    Hope the outcome falls within your expectations. I am trying to decide which image I like the best. I doubt that I will have an opinion without seeing the coin. Your image is excellent...

    I really don't like the PCGS images, they look nothing like it.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

    What is problematic about images is that we see the images and often wonder if they really capture the essence of the coin. Over the years, there have been some outstanding photographers that produced incredible images. I am very reluctant to criticize in that h e l l has a better chance of freezing over than me taking an image that meets or exceeds expectations. I like your image better than the TV.

    Coin photography is an amazing and underappreciated talent- something that most will simply be unable to master. I conceded years ago that a man has to know his limitations. And I am a better collector for acknowledging this simple fact.

    Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

  • ELuisELuis Posts: 746 ✭✭✭✭

    Was thinking the same when I first saw the TV image, is your coin Brown? with that tone? Per your original post, that I do not see. And agree with coinkat.

  • SimonWSimonW Posts: 547 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Yeah, it’s not brown. Not yellow either. It does have a warmer silvery tone, but this is so far off.

    To be fair, at least they’re consistent. They’re all pretty much like this that I’ve sent in recently. I just don’t get the overall yellowness.

    I'm BACK!!! Used to be Billet7 on the old forum.

  • sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Very nice. I like the double llama design.

    Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
Sign In or Register to comment.